Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times

Advertisements

How would you rank them from 1-6? (with 1 being the most important and 6 being the least)

- Parenting
- Competitiveness school environment
- Qualification of teachers
- Family income/wealth
- IQ
- School funding

I would rank them like this:
1. Competitiveness of school environment (competition and comparing yourself to others can work wonders. The people around you shape your personal expectations and the expectations of you.)

2. Family income/wealth (If you have parents, cousins, aunts/uncles with a lot of education then that automatically becomes your default standard. Plus, you also have to worry about maintaining the quality of life that your used to as an adult and that'll take more effort for someone from a highly skilled background. Financing college/tutoring is obviously much easier for more-affluent people.)

3. Parenting (most people will probably put parenting as their number one most important choice. Personally, I can't identify with that since I had parents who rarely pushed me at all, couldn't give two craps about how I did in school and would constantly argue and create a hostile environment but i've still managed to be successful in school all the way up to completing my college undergrad curriculum very recently [on time w/honors]...Who knows, maybe i'm just an outlier?)

4. Natural Intelligence (sometimes people are just born w/less natural intellectual abilities. I still think enough effort&drive can correct this).

5. School funding (of course schools should have adequate funding to take care of basic operations but throwing money at the problems has little benefits).

6. Qualification of teachers (I think this is almost completely irrelevant. I've had so many teachers who were fresh college grads who were AMAZING and incredibly effective; while a lot of my tenured teachers with decades of experience and qualifications have been absolutely horrific).

EDIT: I would define success as performing above your grade level by national standards. As for college standards, I would say 3.0-3.5 Cumulative GPA or higher (of course depending on your major).

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 05-27-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I think that the most successful students (wonderful lifetime learners!) come from a stable home environment where the parents are involved.

But I guess I do not know what YOUR version of success is.... or of what level of education you reference.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
It's hard to define the parameters of "success" since it's so subjective.

I would define success as performing above your grade level by national standards. As for college standards, I would say 3.0-3.5 Cumulative GPA or higher (depending on your major of course).

Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I think a stable home environment provides the best chance for students.
Without that all else is just icing on the cake.

Success has different meanings.
Graduating HS can be seen as success in the schools I work in.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
School funding is the least important for students but the most important for union bosses, the school board, and other politicians.

Mark Zuckerberg "made it rain" on Newark, NJ public schools in 2010, to the tune of $100 million. What did the students get for it, not in terms of "stuff" but in terms of success?

Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,121 times
I would say ''stability'' which is a combo of many of what you stated above. Financials and family are incredibly important. If you can afford textbooks and a tutor (and don't have to work over 20 hrs/week) you are golden. Parents can be a big help too. If your parents are poor, then they more than likely don't see the ''immediate'' benefits of pursuing an education. They will be more or less concerned why you aren't working at a McDonalds to bring extra income in.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:29 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
The ability of all those things listed to work together instead of at cross-purposes. And by the late-middle-to-high-school level, individual motivation.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:24 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Based on your 6:

1) Parenting - NOTHING else comes close

HUGE, HUGE GAP

2) IQ

Gap

3) Family wealth/income (although I'd venture to say this is actually more of a reflection of the IQ and education level of family and that is what drives this)

HUGE GAP

4) Competitiveness of the school
5) Teacher qualifications

Big gap

6) School funding

Old 05-27-2014, 04:31 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
School funding is the least important for students but the most important for union bosses, the school board, and other politicians.

Mark Zuckerberg "made it rain" on Newark, NJ public schools in 2010, to the tune of $100 million. What did the students get for it, not in terms of "stuff" but in terms of success?

There is apparently some question as to what happened to the "rain": What Ever Happened To Mark Zuckerberg's $100M Gift To Newark? - Forbes

Old 05-27-2014, 04:32 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
How would you rank them from 1-6? (with 1 being the most important and 6 being the least)

- Parenting
- Competitiveness school environment
- Qualification of teachers
- Family income/wealth
- IQ
- School funding

I would rank them like this:
1. Competitiveness of school environment (competition and comparing yourself to others can work wonders. The people around you shape your personal expectations and the expectations of you.)

2. Family income/wealth (If you have parents, cousins, aunts/uncles with a lot of education then that automatically becomes your default standard. Plus, you also have to worry about maintaining the quality of life that your used to as an adult and that'll take more effort for someone from a highly skilled background. Financing college/tutoring is obviously much easier for more-affluent people.)

3. Parenting (most people will probably put parenting as their number one most important choice. Personally, I can't identify with that since I had parents who rarely pushed me at all, couldn't give two craps about how I did in school and would constantly argue and create a hostile environment but i've still managed to be successful in school all the way up to completing my college undergrad curriculum very recently [on time w/honors]...Who knows, maybe i'm just an outlier?)

4. Natural Intelligence (sometimes people are just born w/less natural intellectual abilities. I still think enough effort&drive can correct this).

5. School funding (of course schools should have adequate funding to take care of basic operations but throwing money at the problems has little benefits).

6. Qualification of teachers (I think this is almost completely irrelevant. I've had so many teachers who were fresh college grads who were AMAZING and incredibly effective; while a lot of my tenured teachers with decades of experience and qualifications have been absolutely horrific).

EDIT: I would define success as performing above your grade level by national standards. As for college standards, I would say 3.0-3.5 Cumulative GPA or higher (of course depending on your major).
I would rank them the same except I'd flip natural intelligence and parenting and I'm not sure parenting ranks that high. I think a parents biggest contribution is choosing where their child will grow up. This limits their selection for peers. I think peers are by far the strongest influence when it comes to outcomes both good and bad.

Peer pressure is a very strong thing. Put a child in an environment where their peers strive to succeed and it often rubs off on them.

Family income gives a student something to strive for. They've seen success. They've grown up with it and they don't want to lose it when they are older.

I would put natural intelligence next. I think it trumps parenting.

As I said already I think parents make two major contributions. They choose where their child will grow up and they are role models. If mom and dad are educated and successful (goes with family income), the kids most likely will be too. Parents set the stage WRT a child's attitude about education.

School funding and teacher quality go hand in hand. It's hard to teach without the right resources and it's hard to use the resources if you don't have the ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education