Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:57 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times

Advertisements

I think the school administrators should have added, "we have these policies in place because we can't trust our teachers, students or parents to act with any degree of common sense."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:03 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,139,618 times
I am the father of two 5 year old twins who had them late in my life.................I am continually amazed at the changes since I went to school. Everything is so explicit and called out nowadays.

Now I know why a lot of the of the summer activities advertised for children say that sunscreen and bug spray be applied before they are dropped off. That one had me scratching my head

We abide by all these rules..................................but you might of thought we kids were living like wild wolves back in the day

Old 06-06-2014, 02:08 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
The problem is parents who will sue if their child gets sunscreen in their eyes or has a bad reaction to it on their skin.When society goes crazy with suing, these are the consequences.

Our district lost a suit over glitter and had to pay buckets of money. The child was using glitter in his kinder classroom and got it in his eye. It scratched it and got infected.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:17 PM

340 posts, read 645,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Parents can go on the field trip and apply more sunscreen if they are that concerned about it.
The rare kid that is allergic to sunscreen can stay at home if they are that concerned about it

Do a search for the words: student sunburned on field trip. It happens more often than you'd think. Parents shouldn't have to take time off work for an inane issue like this. A little common sense, school districts!

Old 06-06-2014, 02:27 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I am the father of two 5 year old twins who had them late in my life.................I am continually amazed at the changes since I went to school. Everything is so explicit and called out nowadays.

Now I know why a lot of the of the summer activities advertised for children say that sunscreen and bug spray be applied before they are dropped off. That one had me scratching my head

We abide by all these rules..................................but you might of thought we kids were living like wild wolves back in the day
I know what you mean. A sunburn was par for the course when i was a kid. Now youd think theyd gotten ebola or something.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:28 PM

Did they wear a hat, good sunscreen applied in the morning, and appropriate clothing?

I have NEVER had a student get a sunburn on a field trip. Even to the water park. And I am in Houston, which is even hotter than San Antonio.

I think school districts should just have indoor field trips or cancel them altogether.

Last edited by Meyerland; 06-06-2014 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 02:38 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Even though I think it's kind of crazy, in a way I don't blame the school system. Too many people filing law suits. Quite a few parents know what lotions etc their child is allergic to but some won't bother to tell the school. Then when their child has an allergic reaction, mom and dad are hiring a lawyer to get tens of thousands from the schools. We occasionally go to a well known theme park that has free sunscreen in squirt bottles all over the park. Somebody said they're waiting for somebody to sue them for putting it out, because they're allergic.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:42 PM

Mom upset kids got sunburned at Wash. school field day | Health & Fitness | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

This parent did not put sunscreen on her child, with no hat, and a tank top for field day.
Her child has some kind of albinism, so her skin is very sensitive. She is railing at the school and teachers to use their "common sense". That is true, but she needs some too. Sun burns don't show up right away and keep getting redder as time goes on.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:42 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
There are many 8 hour sunscreens on the market.
You obviously don't know what it's like to be a person who burns in a very short period of time.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You obviously don't know what it's like to be a person who burns in a very short period of time.
Yes, I am a person who burns very easily. I have very pale and porcelain skin that won't tan at all. I apply sunscreen in the morning with high SPF and is water/sweat proof. I wear a wide brimmed hat and clothes that cover my skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education