Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 02:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times

Advertisements

I understand that, but the states enact mandates based on ACIP recommendations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Mandates have nothing to do with whether insurance will pay. Once the ACIP puts an immunization into the recommended schedule, insurance will pay for it.

I think exemptions should be made difficult to obtain. There is plenty of research showing that the easier it is to get an exemption, the higher the exemption rate. There are pockets of exemption rates of 50% in some states with easy exempt. policies, such as Washington. Even an exemption rate of 7% as in Colorado (with higher pockets in some places) is skirting with the herd immunity issue.

[URL="http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1209037"]MMS: Error[/URL]

Old 06-23-2014, 02:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I understand that, but the states enact mandates based on ACIP recommendations.
Insurance will pay for the vaccines whether the state mandates them or not. For example, in Colorado, rotavirus, Hepatitis A, flu, Menactra, and HPV (all off the top of my head, there may be others) are not required for any purpose. However, insurance still pays for them because they are part of the ACIP recommended immunizations.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:16 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,668,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Now, I'm not some anti-vaxer. However, we will not be giving our children vaccines which are derived from aborted fetal cells. Most vaccines do have an alternative form, but I believe there is one that does not. Some states wouldn't let us claim a religious exemption because our church doesn't flat out say they're wrong. The Church says that it's up to each parent to decide on whether to use those vaccines.
I'm sure your church is at the forefront of scientific knowledge. Please continue to allow your church to make all other decisions in your life but stay out of our schools.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:20 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
I stand corrected

Quote:
Insurance will pay for the vaccines whether the state mandates them or not. For example, in Colorado, rotavirus, Hepatitis A, flu, Menactra, and HPV (all off the top of my head, there may be others) are not required for any purpose. However, insurance still pays for them because they are part of the ACIP recommended immunizations.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Yes, I read the article from seven years ago. First, it is clearly about a mandate for HPV only. No other vaccine is discussed, or even implied. Secondly, some of the issues have already been resolved. One point was that "we" (whoever that is) should wait and see how many girls (sic) get vaccinated voluntarily. The vaccine is now approved for boys as well. Where I work, I'd say maybe 75% of girls get vaccinated for HPV, fewer boys. The issue of how long immunity lasts won't be totally resolved for decades, but the original immunizees are still immune. The financial barriers is a bogus issue. Vaccines for Children pays for HPV vaccine. So do virtually all insurances if they pay for any vaccines. Once the ACIP recommends a vaccine, insurances pay for it.

What difference does this make? Would you not want HPV vaccines in your mandate?
Besides, the article stated that a wrong move could cause fewer parents to vaccinate over all. Isn't that the point, get more to vaccinate, not less. If you mandate and have a large scale recall, people will be very upset if they are mandated to vaccinate instead of making their own choices to take the chance.

And, where is the money coming from that pay for the vaccine? Do you think that insurance is free? Of course it cost us money. Even if you get a free shot it cost money through taxes. It always cost us. Our heathcare is for profit, we do not have a non profit healthcare system.

You've missed the point of the article, or maybe you can't free yourself from your stance on mandates. Regardless there are valid points in this article for people that are pro vaccine, but not mandate happy. There is a mainstream idea that has been working just fine, it's called educating the public. More and more people are relaxing and vaccinating without fear.
Forcing it down peoples throats because you are afraid of "what if's" isn't constructive for parents who would like all to vaccinate. It will do more harm than good, and cause more people to deny vaccines in fear of government control. Why do you think we don't have an NHS, people fear government controlled healthcare. You are just making things worse.

You missed the sarcasm. Happy Texan is saying that private schools have to enforce the immunization regs as well. Homeschoolers also have to comply in my state.

Where Does Your State Stand on School Immunization Exemptions? | Shot of Prevention
Oh, I see, I guess I'm missing a lot of sarcasm on this thread. Thought he was being constructive for a minute.
OOPS!

Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I'm sure your church is at the forefront of scientific knowledge. Please continue to allow your church to make all other decisions in your life but stay out of our schools.

I doubt any church is at the forefront of scientific knowledge, I think they run on Gods word.

Be careful throwing medical science around, science is very open to mistakes, and never claims to be absolute. It's correct until the next piece of science proves it wrong. The beauty of science is that it doesn't claim to be right, it can be challenged, unlike religion. And believe me, people know this. That's why gaining their trust is difficult and takes time. Medical science is wrong a lot. This is why it's a personal choice, you can't take the risks for others, it should be their choice.

Religion cannot be challenged, Gods word doesn't leave room for growth or change. It is what it is and you can either respect it or you cannot. Removing religious exemptions is not a show of respect, as I'm sure you realize.
But unlike science where mistakes are corrected, and information changes quickly, it takes a long, long time for God to change his mind, so I'm told.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
From 2014, not 2007:

Study Finds Childhood Immunizations Save Thousands of Lives, Billions of Dollars
**A new economic analysis of the childhood immunization schedule shows it will prevent 42,000 early deaths and 20 million cases of disease, with a savings of $13.5 billion in direct costs and $68.8 billion in total societal costs in a single cohort. The study, “Economic Evaluation of the Routine Childhood Immunization Program in the United States, 2009,” in the April 2014 Pediatrics (published online March 3), used population-based vaccination coverage, vaccine efficacy data, historical data on disease incidence before vaccination, and disease incidence data after vaccination to calculate the lifetime economic impact of vaccinating a hypothetical cohort of all U.S. children born in 2009. The study updates a prior analysis published in 2005. Researchers conclude that from a societal perspective, the average savings per dollar spent on vaccination is at least $10. According to the study authors, “the vaccines currently recommended for young children represent not only a major public health victory in terms of disease prevention, but also an excellent public health ‘buy’ in terms of dollars and cents.” - See more at: Study Finds Childhood Immunizations Save Thousands of Lives, Billions of Dollars**

No one could possibly think that the cost of the HPV vaccine in any way remotely exceeds the treatment of cervical cancer!

Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Yes, I read the article from seven years ago. First, it is clearly about a mandate for HPV only. No other vaccine is discussed, or even implied. Secondly, some of the issues have already been resolved. One point was that "we" (whoever that is) should wait and see how many girls (sic) get vaccinated voluntarily. The vaccine is now approved for boys as well. Where I work, I'd say maybe 75% of girls get vaccinated for HPV, fewer boys. The issue of how long immunity lasts won't be totally resolved for decades, but the original immunizees are still immune. The financial barriers is a bogus issue. Vaccines for Children pays for HPV vaccine. So do virtually all insurances if they pay for any vaccines. Once the ACIP recommends a vaccine, insurances pay for it.

You missed the sarcasm. Happy Texan is saying that private schools have to enforce the immunization regs as well. Homeschoolers also have to comply in my state.

Where Does Your State Stand on School Immunization Exemptions? | Shot of Prevention
That wasn't sarcasm at all. I was being serious.

If you don't like what the public schools are doing then go to a private school.
Normally that phrase is tossed out when other subjects come up like sex education, free condoms, LGBT recognition, etc.

So now that the shoe is on the other foot.....

Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Many, many scientific discoveries and advances were made by Catholics. You won't win your "argument" in this case.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think you have outdated information. Ratzinger already explained that your cooperation would be very remote so you should vaccinate your children. You do understand remote material cooperation don't you?
My information is not outdated. It would be very remote, but it is still cooperation. That's why the Church leaves it up to the parents to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education