Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Every state, plus DC, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands and Puerto Rico has immunizations that are required for school entry.
State Mandates on Immunization and Vaccine-Preventable Diseases

All states allow students to be exempt from the requirements for medical reasons, all but California, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi and West Virginia allow for religious exemptions.

Alaska, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin allow for personal exemptions. It's interesting that LA and MN don't allow for religious exemptions but do allow for personal exemptions.
State Mandates on Immunization and Vaccine-Preventable Diseases: Exemptions Permitted for State Immunization Requirements

93% of Colorado exemptions are for personal beliefs. Colorado has the second highest exemption rate in the country, at 7%.
8 states skipping vaccinations more than others: How many unvaccinated kids are OK to have around? | Momania: A Blog for Busy Moms
Colorado's Personal Belief Exemption Target Of New Report | KUNC

Mississippi has the lowest exemption rate, essentially zero.

What does everyone think about this?

Old 06-21-2014, 02:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Children are not property of the government, and parents should not be forced to put anything into their children by the government. Also, at least in my state we have the right to an education. We aren't guaranteed the right to an education if we do certain things, so legally the government should not be able to exclude children for that purpose.

Now, I'm not some anti-vaxer. However, we will not be giving our children vaccines which are derived from aborted fetal cells. Most vaccines do have an alternative form, but I believe there is one that does not. Some states wouldn't let us claim a religious exemption because our church doesn't flat out say they're wrong. The Church says that it's up to each parent to decide on whether to use those vaccines.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Parents can be stupid and not do what is best for their kid, hence why there are kids abused and murdered by their parents, so there is a point in which the gov needs to ensure minimal level of standards for its population including kids.

I feel sorry for those kids who have idiotic parents making decisions like not allowing vaccines.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:24 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Children are not property of the government, and parents should not be forced to put anything into their children by the government. Also, at least in my state we have the right to an education. We aren't guaranteed the right to an education if we do certain things, so legally the government should not be able to exclude children for that purpose.

Now, I'm not some anti-vaxer. However, we will not be giving our children vaccines which are derived from aborted fetal cells. Most vaccines do have an alternative form, but I believe there is one that does not. Some states wouldn't let us claim a religious exemption because our church doesn't flat out say they're wrong. The Church says that it's up to each parent to decide on whether to use those vaccines.
Then those same parents should not expect to receive a free public education for their children. The church doesn't decide public health issues.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:02 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post

Where did you hear this nonsense?

Old 06-21-2014, 03:37 PM

^^In fairness, it's not nonsense, but. . .

Human Cell Strains in Vaccine Development — History of Vaccines
The abortion (1) that led to the development of the rubella vaccine took place in the 1960s. The cell strain has been perpetuated. I'm not sure of the dates of the abortions for the chickenpox and Hepatitis A vaccines. However, no drug company is performing abortions to make vaccines, like chicken eggs are produced to make flu vaccine. The Catholic church does approve of using these vaccines if no alternative is available. It does say that every effort should be made to develop a vaccine using other methods. In a few decades we probably won't have to worry about this problem.

There have been numerous outbreaks of measles in the last few years here in the US. The rubella vaccine is a component of MMR (measles, mumps rubella) and single antigen vaccines are not available in the US. So a person would be denying their kid protection against measles, which can be very serious. Mumps and rubella are no picnic either, and rubella can cause birth defects in babies whose mothers get it during pregnancy.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Then those same parents should not expect to receive a free public education for their children. The church doesn't decide public health issues.
The constitution of my state guarantees an education for all children. The constitution of the federal government gives me the right to practice my religion. My children cannot be denied the right to an education because we are practicing our religious beliefs. (We do not intend to use public schools, just as an aside.)

Old 06-21-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^In fairness, it's not nonsense, but. . .

Human Cell Strains in Vaccine Development — History of Vaccines
The abortion (1) that led to the development of the rubella vaccine took place in the 1960s. The cell strain has been perpetuated. I'm not sure of the dates of the abortions for the chickenpox and Hepatitis A vaccines. However, no drug company is performing abortions to make vaccines, like chicken eggs are produced to make flu vaccine. The Catholic church does approve of using these vaccines if no alternative is available. It does say that every effort should be made to develop a vaccine using other methods. In a few decades we probably won't have to worry about this problem.

There have been numerous outbreaks of measles in the last few years here in the US. The rubella vaccine is a component of MMR (measles, mumps rubella) and single antigen vaccines are not available in the US. So a person would be denying their kid protection against measles, which can be very serious. Mumps and rubella are no picnic either, and rubella can cause birth defects in babies whose mothers get it during pregnancy.
It doesn't matter to us when the abortion took place. Our family is not an all talk and no action family. The Church says that each parent is to make the decision on it, and our decision is that it is morally wrong. Maybe companies should find a way to make the vaccines without aborted fetal cells then.

I wonder if we can go somewhere that does allow separating MMR (and offers the measles and mumps immunizations that are ok for us) and have our children get the shots there. Hmmm, that's a thought. I'll have to look into that.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:56 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
People who are against Vaccines for "Religious or Personal reasons" need to take their tin foil hats off.

That being said, I refuse to get flu shots. Those damn things give me the flu.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
People who are against Vaccines for "Religious or Personal reasons" need to take their tin foil hats off.

That being said, I refuse to get flu shots. Those damn things give me the flu.
Maybe we should not discuss flu vaccine. It's not a required immunization for K-12 in any state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education