Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I've read similar online, although it's a much smaller pool so I'm not sure how it's compared.

I don't know if boys and girls learn differently. It was just my experience that there was so much malarkey with boys and girls in school. People crushing on each other. Girls competing for certain boys and vice versa. There was a lot of wasted time and I would love it if my daughter could skip some of it. Plus, the women I know who attended all girl schools seem to be doing fine in life. I don't know of any socialization issues.
Here's what an article in Forbes said:

A recent study funded by the WCC bears this out. The report, released in March 2008, surveyed 1,000 women’s-college alumnae and their female peers from liberal arts colleges or public flagships. In several key areas, women’s colleges performed higher, including in the proportion of entrepreneurs produced and leadership training received. Additionally, far more graduates of women’s colleges than of co-ed liberal arts colleges (66% vs. 55%) said the reputation of their school played a major role in getting into graduate school or obtaining their first job.

Often times prospective students don’t realize the potential benefits of a college that focuses exclusively on fostering the ambitions of young women, say several alumnae. At a co-ed university there may be pressure to impress guys instead of concentrating on a career or personal development, for example. Tara Roberts, a graduate of Mt. Holyoke in Massachusetts, discovered talents that she was completely unaware of in high school.
Why Women's Colleges Are Still Relevant - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 08:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Here's what an article in Forbes said:

A recent study funded by the WCC bears this out. The report, released in March 2008, surveyed 1,000 women’s-college alumnae and their female peers from liberal arts colleges or public flagships. In several key areas, women’s colleges performed higher, including in the proportion of entrepreneurs produced and leadership training received. Additionally, far more graduates of women’s colleges than of co-ed liberal arts colleges (66% vs. 55%) said the reputation of their school played a major role in getting into graduate school or obtaining their first job.

Often times prospective students don’t realize the potential benefits of a college that focuses exclusively on fostering the ambitions of young women, say several alumnae. At a co-ed university there may be pressure to impress guys instead of concentrating on a career or personal development, for example. Tara Roberts, a graduate of Mt. Holyoke in Massachusetts, discovered talents that she was completely unaware of in high school.
Why Women's Colleges Are Still Relevant - Forbes
Makes sense.

Regarding HS I googled and found this interesting study. I only read the abstract and it may not be relevant since it's not in the US, but the approach looks useful.

Causal Effects of Single-Sex Schools on College Entrance Exams and College Attendance: Random Assignment in Seoul High Schools

Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
University-level is completely different from elementary and secondary school.

A college student usually is a legal adult and has some say in their school choice.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Makes sense.

Regarding HS I googled and found this interesting study. I only read the abstract and it may not be relevant since it's not in the US, but the approach looks useful.

Causal Effects of Single-Sex Schools on College Entrance Exams and College Attendance: Random Assignment in Seoul High Schools
Interesting studies about high school level same-gender schools. I found this interesting:

Applying the school district fixed-effects models, we find that single-sex schools produce a higher percentage of graduates who attended four-year colleges and a lower percentage of graduates who attended two-year junior colleges than do coeducational schools. The positive effects of single-sex schools remain substantial, even after we take into account various school-level variables, such as teacher quality, the student-teacher ratio, the proportion of students receiving lunch support, and whether the schools are public or private.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
coping skills, adult skill sets, character, attitude,

if we shelter our kids til they are 18, we are not preparing them for adulthood- we see this time and time again,,,,sheltered kids go to college, or worse, out in the work force, and they cannot handle adversities-molehills are mountains, and they are overwhelmed and shell-shocked.

the world is co-ed , its best to let kids grow up in a co-ed school...

I did not go to a single gender school BUT a lot of the guys I knew in college who went to all boys catholic schools were very well adjusted, some of the most social guys on campus and generally speaking some of the better students on campus.

the girls i knew who went to all girls catholic schools were the opposite. not well adjusted, social but in more of a party til i puke social, and were generally not regarded as campus leader material.

in short the guys always seemed aged beyond their years in terms of maturation and the girls it seemed like their maturation had been stunted.

In my experience the kids who had the worst coping skills aka were shell shocked were the kids who came from really rural / small town communities. i went to a university of 15k in a mid major midwest urban city. for many of these kids the residence hall they lived in had more kids in it than their entire high school. many of them had lectures bigger than their schools. they were so use to seeing the same people in their lives daily that they had a tough time adjusting to meeting strangers and socializing.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
There was a study that girls suffer more when in a co-ed setting even such as high school. Some psych thing about being around boys? However, I'm not sure I completely buy that, and I'd say just do co-ed, as that's how the business world is anyways.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:09 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
we got a public school, just one in the system that separate boys and girl at first grade and keep them with the same group till graduation. Their idea is not to have a meeting between sexes but to provide education and only education without the peer groups. this school also test higher than the other schools

Old 07-21-2014, 06:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post

In my experience the kids who had the worst coping skills aka were shell shocked were the kids who came from really rural / small town communities. i went to a university of 15k in a mid major midwest urban city. for many of these kids the residence hall they lived in had more kids in it than their entire high school. many of them had lectures bigger than their schools. they were so use to seeing the same people in their lives daily that they had a tough time adjusting to meeting strangers and socializing.
My experience was the opposite, probably BECAUSE I went to college in a small, rural community, about 100 miles from a large metro (same experience as I had pre-college, in fact). The small town students had obviously zero problem adjusting, but the kids who came from the city really had a hard time dealing with not being in a city and adjusting to it. Most would go home every weekend, lots ended up transferring.

And, FWIW, my ex was the product of an all-boys Catholic prep school, and might be one of the least well-adjusted people I've ever known. But I think that's incidental, and would have been the case no matter where he had attended school. I think how well-adjusted one is, if one is flexible, has good coping skills, can adapt to various environments, etc. speaks much more to how a person was raised than the environment they attended school in, although all environmental factors contribute.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My experience was the opposite, probably BECAUSE I went to college in a small, rural community, about 100 miles from a large metro (same experience as I had pre-college, in fact). The small town students had obviously zero problem adjusting, but the kids who came from the city really had a hard time dealing with not being in a city and adjusting to it. Most would go home every weekend, lots ended up transferring.

And, FWIW, my ex was the product of an all-boys Catholic prep school, and might be one of the least well-adjusted people I've ever known. But I think that's incidental, and would have been the case no matter where he had attended school. I think how well-adjusted one is, if one is flexible, has good coping skills, can adapt to various environments, etc. speaks much more to how a person was raised than the environment they attended school in, although all environmental factors contribute.
I agree Tabula. I grew up in a large city and went to school in a small town and felt like I had landed on Mars. As for single sex education, every school and child is different. I did not enjoy my single sex education but it was a good education academically and certainly did no harm. I strongly considered attending Hillary's alma mater and wasn't put off by the idea of all women at all. My son attends a school that is 3 quarters boys and it suits him. My daughter attends a coed school and it suits her. How we turn out in the end I think is dependent on much more than what gender the person sitting next to us is and certainly there are very successful people from all kinds of educational backgrounds....losers too .

Old 07-21-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
There was a study that girls suffer more when in a co-ed setting even such as high school. Some psych thing about being around boys? However, I'm not sure I completely buy that, and I'd say just do co-ed, as that's how the business world is anyways.
I think that girls who do single gender school become accustomed to not having to do the girly girl, primping and dressing up for boys, and being delicate and sweet during class. They simply can be themselves. By the time they graduate (if they go all the way through college in a single gender school), their self-confidence has matured, and their habits are those of success. They then go out into the coed world and there's little that can knock them down because they didn't spend their developing years posing, primping, applying makeup in class, flirting, yada yada yada. They spent them being fully themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education