Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM

118 posts, read 218,053 times

Advertisements

It 100% depends on the student. I went to both all girls and coed schools (all girls for high school) and was miserable. I have three brothers and had no idea how to interact with girls - I found them flighty and boy-obsessed. Boys in junior high (and the ones at the brother school in high school) found my brashness funny and attractive; girls thought I was loud and annoying. Not until I got to college did I begin to have a normal social life again, and by then I didn't know whether to play at being a ditz, as my all-girls school had inadvertently encouraged, or be even more ballsy because I'm naturally a contrarian. To this day, I have almost no female friends.

OTOH, one of the few friends I did have in high school was an only child, extremely shy, and latently smart. She thrived in an all-girls environment where she didn't feel like she had to compete for boys' attentions, and she still talks about how high school was the greatest years of her life - which I'm FLABBERGASTED by because we ran in the same circles. She would have been run over in a coed environment (and was so eager to please, she might have ended up pregnant or in with a bad crowd to boot); I was so eager to be independent that I felt stymied and oppressed and ridiculed in a single sex school where cliques ruled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 PM

27 posts, read 33,988 times
I don't understand people saying "Co ed school prepares people for the workplace". Have you seen how most kids dress and act in schools these days? It is absolutely nothing like the workplace and nothing how a workplace should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education