Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipcc View Post
I just went through the whole college process, and finished my last SAT Dec 1st. Anyway, I, like your daughter, had an SAT score that did not match my GPA.

Don't let anyone discourage her though. I was told by my guidance counselor that I must be a "not-so-smart student who works incredibly hard." LOL. I was not so happy to say the least. However, I worked really hard. I sat down with the "College Board SAT Prep Book" and took full-length tests. They have replica tests in the book and then they have a score guide as well. It was really helpful. They even have a break down of questions (easy, medium, hard) and it lets you know where you need work.

She can practice section-by-section, however that is not the same as taking the test in its entirity. The test is 3 hrs and 45 mins and you need endurance. I took four full-length SAT practice tests in the book before I took the real thing. In addition I did endless practice sections every week. It was a hard struggle, however, after my 3rd time of taking the SATs, I finally have decent scores.

Also, keep in mind that this test is not necessarily a test that tests what you know, but rather, it tests how well you can take the test. There are SO many tricks and strategies that help a lot (especially with the time limits). In addition, she needs to become very familiar with the test such as how many questions per section, how many sections of each subject there are on the test, etc. It really helps a lot. Anyway, if you would like some more test-taking pointers, feel free to PM me! I know TONS about this, as it has literally consumed my life for the past 10 months.
Thanks. It is just that I really expected her to do better. She was never really strong in math but she still managed to get Cs and occasional Bs in it- enought to keep her GPA at a 3.00. That is hwy I so surprised at how bad she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 09:23 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Thanks. It is just that I really expected her to do better. She was never really strong in math but she still managed to get Cs and occasional Bs in it- enought to keep her GPA at a 3.00. That is hwy I so surprised at how bad she did.
It sounds like she may have had crappy math teachers. Kids should be able to apply the math they've learned to math questions on the SAT. If she can't, she needs to be re-taught the math on the test and also how to figure out the word problems (assuming they still have those).

Old 12-25-2007, 07:48 PM

41 posts, read 145,683 times
Quote:
Don't worry about it, she can take it again. There's no reason "why" she didn't do well except for the fact that the SATs didn't click with her. I would suggest she preps and then takes it again. There's nothing to lose.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:04 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
Quote:
Lots of students here in Cobb County do. It is actually harder to get a C here than it was when I was in high school. When I was in high school the grading was:
90-100=A
80-89=B
70-79=c
60-69=D

At my little girl's school it is like:
95-100=A
90-94=B
83-89=C
70-83=D

This is one of those things that "looks harder on paper" but what really happens is that when teachers implement these scales like your daughter, they start inflating the grades (giving more 95's instead of 90's, etc). Grade inflation is a huge issue in high school and college (you can google and find a ton of articles.. I teach college level and we have had many trainings on this!). I don't think this has to do with the OP's daughter, but I just wanted to mention that!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:19 AM

563 posts, read 2,773,351 times
Quote:
Lots of students here in Cobb County do. It is actually harder to get a C here than it was when I was in high school. When I was in high school the grading was:
90-100=A
80-89=B
70-79=c
60-69=D

At my little girl's school it is like:
95-100=A
90-94=B
83-89=C
70-83=D
That's interesting that your daughter's school is using that grading scale, because our official grading scale is the following (I teach in Cobb):
90-100: A
80-89: B
74-79: C
70-73: D
below 70: F

I actually like the grading scale you listed above...it's similar to the grading scale that was in place when I taught in VA, but I digress.

Here's a great website for your daughter to familiarize herself with: http://www.number2.com/ It's a free test prep website. This may help her bring up her scores.

Best of luck!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:40 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,242 times
Quote:
I just don't know the cause. But I am going to make sure she preps well for the ACT because it is her LAST chance and I have told her "if you blow this one, it is over and you will end up in hair dressing school or something and I know damn well that you are better". She is to sit down and study every night and, if we need a tutor, I will get one.
I think you may be making her too tense with your attitude. I know that you mean only the best, and want her to suceed, but frankly, I am not sure that telling her that it is her "last chance" and that she will "end up in hair dressing school" is the best motivator. There are a lot of reasons why she may not have performed her best that day. That day is past now, and moving ahead positively and SUPPORTIVELY is your best option. She is a kid, and it will all turn out fine. Life is not over just because of test scores. Is it possible that you are projecting your own issues on to her? Did you take the SAT? Did you go to college? I only inquire because I have met parents in the past who "need" their kids to do better because they themselves did not. Maybe take some time and ponder YOUR motivation for telling her that "this is her last chance". I am also curious as to what your spouse thinks..is the whole household riled up or just you? Honestly, I felt your level of frustration/anger/disappointment right through the computer, and we are strangers. Imagine how your child feels...I feel certain that she is feeling the brunt of your words quite strongly and this may have the affect of making her more tense about her performance on the next testing go round...My point is, I guess, that it is hard to be a kid today. Between the pressures we put on them and they put on themselves to perform, it is a wonder that they get out of bed in the morning. All I can say is breathe in, breathe out, and lighten up a little bit. Your relationship with your child is the most important - the rest will fall into place. Happy New Year - I wish you both nothing but the best.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
I read all 7 of these pages and I have a few comments to the OP:

A 3.0 is not that great a GPA in high school. It's barely a B. You said that she only had Algebra and Calculus. That seems strange to me. If she told a guidance counselor that she wanted to go to college they should have advised her to take Geometry so that she was prepared for the SAT. Can she still take Geometry?

Anyway, I agree with whomever told you that telling her this was her last chance may be putting to much stress on her. If she doesn't do well she can always go to community college and then transfer. Then she doesn't have to worry about the SAT. It's only one test. I would hate to see her give up her hopes of a college education based on one test. There is nothing wrong with the CC route. When she finally graduates from a 4 college her degree will be the same as the others who went there for 4 full years.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:59 AM

847 posts, read 3,519,490 times
Quote:
The day she took it she complained that most of the math on the test was geometry and she had algebra and calculus. We are going to have to get some tutoring before she attempts the ACT or reattempts the SAT.
Where the heck does she go to school where she was allowed to take Calculus without geometry????? There is your problem.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:05 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
One of my best friends in college had BOMBED the SAT. Basically, she thought, hey I don't need to study, because I have a 3.5, and she was already in calc. Since the test only went through 8th grade math, she couldn't remember the basic formulas so she did horribly.
The new SAT goes through Algebra II which is generally a sophomore or junior course.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM

213 posts, read 784,070 times
Default SAT's

My son went up on both parts after using at home prep DVD set.
It was good because what he had a hard time with he could just replay until he was comfortable with the material. Look Here : getsatprep.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education