Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they paddle kids in school?
YES! That will straighten those bad kids out 10 18.18%
NO! Its cruel Punishment 29 52.73%
Only if the parents approve in writing 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:48 AM

715 posts, read 2,081,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Hey Gracie, You can't even believe what I read and posted about today> I was on the edweek.org site and they had a story about a 20 veteran teacher in the Washington Post, I think it said, but anyway, the principle wanted her fired and the parents didn't. I guess it was a big contraversy and I believe still is. On this story page the Washington people are asking for help from everyone, because the administration went ahead and fired her. The people are livid. The reason for her being fired is really bizarre. Go read it. My posts are just a mom. One of the reasons is because she was too "motherly". What do think about this? Do you agree with administration or the parents?

Nothing but hearsay, we only have your understanding and interpretation on this matter. Show me link and let us make up our own minds.

An incident does'nt change the fact that "would be" teachers dont want to take on this heavy burdened job anymore!!

This country wants to recruit highly skilled teachers from overseas!!

HELLLLLOOO?? Doesnt that bother you the slightest??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 02:04 AM

498 posts, read 1,515,209 times
Smile Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggluvbug View Post
I am so rolling my eyes at all of this. The culture is changing because children are out of control! They are out of control because they are not being disciplined appropriately. I cannot stand to see some sniveling mother in Walmart trying to reason with a 3 year old about why she should behave in the store. Someone said something about not paddling a 6'3" kid. Well, by that point you shouldn't have to. Corporal punishment does not teach kids that might equals right. That is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard. It teaches a child who doesn't have abstract reasoning skills that bad behavior has a bad consequence. It should not be used all of the time, and it should not ever be done in anger....under any circumstances. But done correctly, it can be a very effective tool.
BTW, I was spanked as a child and I am not aggressive at all. I guess I missed the lesson that might equals right.
I did give my child love pat reminders as a small child. I did not insuate that my child was unruly and all, I was just using him as an example. He is a very humble person.
The question posed is: Do we want spankings to take place in schools by strangers? Well do we? No. I definately do not.

I would try to talk and listen to the troubled child. Try to help them direct their anger issues. Sometimes all it takes is to listen. They already have a problem it's obvious. You don't continue to wound an already wounded child.

The spanking issue belongs to the parents. That is a private, home family issue. Parents need to be held more accountable in this area. Not so far that they go to jail over it though. The reason we all have trouble with this issue is because there are so many different situations.

Ok, back to the 6'3" kid. My child is still in school. I was using him as an example in my earlier post. I am going to do it again.

So if my child was one of the ones to need a spanking, How would you propose it be done? Where is the line drawn because I did not see one on the OP question? How old and how big do they have to be before the school spankings stop?

If a child has been emotionally and mentally wounded, then you certainly don't continue to wound them further and expect them to be good little submissive kids. That just does not work. You can however take the spirit out of them until they believe they are not worthy. Stop! and listen to your children and take time to put action to their words.

I do know that kids are out of control, mouthy, discourteous, dishonest, sexing, drugs and violent. We as adults are responsible to some extent. Todays children seem to think that us parents are here just to make sure they are happy in everything they do. I got news for them. I am mother and you will respect everywhere you go. You will sit down and shut your mouth in school unless you are being spoke to. But, with that being said, I expect the professionals to be professional in their job. Do I believe everything everytime the school says it so?? Not by a long shot. I have been head to head with some teachers. I expect them to respect and be professional in the different situations. Reaching out and touching (spanking) a child is definately not professional. So my final answer is NO!

novanative where are you? Can you shed some light on this? Isn't this your neck of the woods? Do you believe in spanking bad children at school? I would rather think that you would handle it differently without the physical abuse. Hope to hear your rationale. She is a veteran school counselor.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-28-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Gracie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Nothing but hearsay, we only have your understanding and interpretation on this matter. Show me link and let us make up our own minds.

An incident does'nt change the fact that "would be" teachers dont want to take on this heavy burdened job anymore!!

This country wants to recruit highly skilled teachers from overseas!!

HELLLLLOOO?? Doesnt that bother you the slightest??

I did give you the site. I don't know how to make it an actual link in these posts. Just put in edweek.org.. This site is very informative and as I said, you get to put in your own 2cents worth. Are you a teacher? If so then you should really enjoy that site.

Ok, so what do suggest we do to get this stopped. I will help. I am mostly for the teachers out of everyone, the kids, the parents, the administration. I am with the group who is complaining about the principles and administration. They are way out of line for the most part of it. They have to much power over teachers and parents who would like to help.

By the way, that story title is something like: Rethinking welcoming parents into the education field, or something like that. I find alot of fascinating stuff on that site. It is also a teachers tools to teach better in alot of different ways. It is a teachers site. I can't believe you have never heard of it. Well, it's there if ya want to see it. Sorry I'm not more savvy yet. You will manage just fine.
I do not understand what you are trying to tell me about the "would be" teachers thing. You'll have to draw me a picture. LoL

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-28-2007, 03:11 AM

715 posts, read 2,081,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
I did give you the site. I don't know how to make it an actual link in these posts. Just put in edweek.org.. This site is very informative and as I said, you get to put in your own 2cents worth. Are you a teacher? If so then you should really enjoy that site.

Ok, so what do suggest we do to get this stopped. I will help. I am mostly for the teachers out of everyone, the kids, the parents, the administration. I am with the group who is complaining about the principles and administration. They are way out of line for the most part of it. They have to much power over teachers and parents who would like to help.

By the way, that story title is something like: Rethinking welcoming parents into the education field, or something like that. I find alot of fascinating stuff on that site. It is also a teachers tools to teach better in alot of different ways. It is a teachers site. I can't believe you have never heard of it. Well, it's there if ya want to see it. Sorry I'm not more savvy yet. You will manage just fine.
I do not understand what you are trying to tell me about the "would be" teachers thing. You'll have to draw me a picture. LoL

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE
Gosh, its simple english you know? Took me 3 posts the last time to tell you about your theory that "lead in toys" has no barring to what You conclude, causes behaviour abnormality in american kids. Now i find myself doing the same thing. whilst others get the picture.

The "Would be Teachers" that i mention are individuals who thinks/desires of being a teacher BUT when doing their research of how much a pain it is to be one, puts them off and finds another occupation. With me so far??

Right okaaayyy... There is further proof that there are'nt enough trained teachers to go round to fill the demand..

How and Why??

Right.. You guessed it. You're schools are recruiting from overseas!!

As for the problem. Haha. Read & Analyze what you wrote. There lies, A LOT of the problem. Which unfortunately is shared by you and many others. But hey, you win some and loose some.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:41 AM

Default Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Gosh, its simple english you know? Took me 3 posts the last time to tell you about your theory that "lead in toys" has no barring to what You conclude, causes behaviour abnormality in american kids. Now i find myself doing the same thing. whilst others get the picture.

The "Would be Teachers" that i mention are individuals who thinks/desires of being a teacher BUT when doing their research of how much a pain it is to be one, puts them off and finds another occupation. With me so far??

Right okaaayyy... There is further proof that there are'nt enough trained teachers to go round to fill the demand..

How and Why??

Right.. You guessed it. You're schools are recruiting from overseas!!

As for the problem. Haha. Read & Analyze what you wrote. There lies, A LOT of the problem. Which unfortunately is shared by you and many others. But hey, you win some and loose some.

I have an informed opinion on that issue. I thought that we had agreed to disagree on this issue. Yes, I do believe that high quanities of lead from CHina has damaged some of our American children. Those are the facts. They havn't recalled all those toys for nothin.

So I really did understand already what you were telling me about the teachers in demand. So am I to blame for that too? I noticed you put me and others into the problem pot but where does that leave you? So have you contacted your congress lately? Maybe you should with this issue of overseas. I already said I would go the mile with you and for you as a professional teacher. That is all I can do, after all I am only a parent>

Oh well, I hope you are able to find that site, I think you would find it very interesting.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 19,691 times
They should NOT be paddeling in school! As a result of a paddle, my son was left with bruises, welts, and a bursted blood vessel courtesy of one of North Carolina's supposed supreme educators. The local school board will not return my telephone calls; they are making attempts to sweep this under the rug.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 AM

That is exactly what should absolutely not be happening. I am so sorry to your child. Was this real recent? How is your child now? I feel so for him. That is terrible. Make them be accountable for what they have done to your child. Bless your child. How old is he? Be strong mom.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,324,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
Where do they paddle in Ohio? I don't have kids but if I did, any teacher that used a paddle on them would be pulling it out of their a$$ after I found out.

Yeah. Your attitude is part of the problem with kids today.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:48 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,324,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggluvbug View Post
I don't think that I am saying that a lack of corporal punishment equals a lack of discipline. I am saying it is one tool that parents can use. If a parent chooses to not use it, that is fine, but do not put down those who choose to use it. It is one way to teach self-control to young children.

Yes, there were brats 50 years ago, but look at the disrespect in the media today. It is rampant and a symptom of a larger societal illness. I am 31 years old, and I am blown away by the way some children behave today compared to when I was a child. As a teacher, I talk to a lot of students everyday. The lack of regard for parents, the entitlement issue, etc is overwhelming in children I speak with. Part of this is because of permissive parenting. No, I am not saying you have to spank a child to not be considered permissive. But the children I see who are out of control and disrespectful are not ever spanked.
Agree wholeheartedly. Not only are they never spanked, they never have the fear that they might be disciplined in ANY way, and like the person's statement I reference in my last post, many kids today know they have power over any figure of authority, including their own parents, who allow it because no one should DARE touch or speak to their fragile child for fear of somehow permanently damaging their self-esteem. What they don't realize is the damage they are doing. It's a sad commentary on the generation of parents out there today.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:16 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,628,967 times
but arent there tons of kids out there that are spanked all the time and still little hellions on their way to becoming criminals?

Last edited by nicolepsy; 12-28-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education