Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they paddle kids in school?
YES! That will straighten those bad kids out 10 18.18%
NO! Its cruel Punishment 29 52.73%
Only if the parents approve in writing 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:26 AM

564 posts, read 2,341,479 times

Advertisements

Paddling should be done for the kids who are very, very bad.

Not in the "kissing someone on the bus" way, because that's beyond silly (I can tell you, I've kissed many girls on the back of the bus as a kid, haha). I think it should be reserved for kids who fight, kids who threaten other kids with bodily harm (plus suspension), etc, etc. It's all about the situation. Kid who curses at a teacher should be paddled. Kid who doesn't turn in homework all week shouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 03:56 AM

498 posts, read 1,519,962 times
Thumbs down Unite

Are you serious?/ I would not advise strangers (teachers,staff,administration) to hit any child with anything. I don't think it would work for our kids today. They are smarter than anyone gives them credit for. Seriously though, kids are not allowed to hit teachers without being arrested and it should be the same the other way around. I as the parent will take care of that on my end. I know that there are alot of parents who do not care one way or another. That is one of the biggest crying shames there is in this issue.

There are some good EDUCATORS AND ADMINISTRATION out there but there are just as many that are bad and abusing, physically and mentally. So, no, I would not like to see this happen in schools. Have a good day.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-26-2007, 04:39 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,896 times
If anything, children are more childish and irresponsible. They lack any vision and discipline. All their interested in is in themselves and wanting to be the next cool thing ever. I say bring back the paddles, although i was on the recieving end of a Caine (Stick) didnt like it much but the pain made you re-evaluate your actions and enforced self descipline.

Since they started going soft on these kids, what do you end up with? rampant bullying, suicides, shooting/killing fellow students, drop outs.

Teenagers who before they enlisted in the military brought up issues whereby they just couldnt focus on the important factors that goes with studying, they lacked drive and the constant partying through the weekends just took over. Only when they came back from a tour of duty did they learn how to focus and drive to come back to school and finish off their education.

So, whats more painful? the paddle or the amount of lives lost from Full metal (bullets) flying around campuses?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:57 PM

Smile Gracie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
If anything, children are more childish and irresponsible. They lack any vision and discipline. All their interested in is in themselves and wanting to be the next cool thing ever. I say bring back the paddles, although i was on the recieving end of a Caine (Stick) didnt like it much but the pain made you re-evaluate your actions and enforced self descipline.

Since they started going soft on these kids, what do you end up with? rampant bullying, suicides, shooting/killing fellow students, drop outs.

Teenagers who before they enlisted in the military brought up issues whereby they just couldnt focus on the important factors that goes with studying, they lacked drive and the constant partying through the weekends just took over. Only when they came back from a tour of duty did they learn how to focus and drive to come back to school and finish off their education.

So, whats more painful? the paddle or the amount of lives lost from Full metal (bullets) flying around campuses?

HI Gracie,

Would you want to go up against an already crazed student? Are you saying that the high schools should paddle as well? You are looking for personal attacks outside of that building at that point. These children nowadays don't take kindly to being abused by anyone without reprocussion. I would hate to see something happen to you because you were trying to correct the student by doing the parents job. We as parents are just as strapped as the teachers as far as spanking laws, in some states. We have children here who get to press charges on a parent for whatever form of discipline that they see fit for their child. The parents usually lose and end up behind bars. That is what all of us are up against is the law. But please do not hit an already disturbed child, that does not solve anything. Our kids are a different breed than those of the past.

I am curious as to how many parents spank their high schoolers?!?

I would not put my family in that kind of danger. These kids are different than the past!!

Old 12-26-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Gracie

Quote:

By the way, military does not add up to a caining. Furthermore if the sports were moved out of the schools than maybe they could spend their time concentrating on their studies. We have jocks not students. We have coach/teachers not ACADEMIC TEACHERS. Caining is not the answer. Do not touch my child in that fashion. I don't spank my 6'3" 230 pd. son. He has to take responsibilty for who he is in life. ME or YOU spanking him is not going to phase him in the least as far as EDUCATION. I do try back up the schools in their rules but some are just out of line.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:12 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
By the way, military does not add up to a caining. Furthermore if the sports were moved out of the schools than maybe they could spend their time concentrating on their studies. We have jocks not students. We have coach/teachers not ACADEMIC TEACHERS. Caining is not the answer. Do not touch my child in that fashion. I don't spank my 6'3" 230 pd. son. He has to take responsibilty for who he is in life. ME or YOU spanking him is not going to phase him in the least as far as EDUCATION. I do try back up the schools in their rules but some are just out of line.

Cries out the person who claims lead in toys is the cause for kids in america to have disfuntional behaviour. LOL..

To your and sons credit, we dont need to resort to caines or paddling. We have guns and knives to set em straight, thats the answer for you folks.

You have your thang and your mentality and i have mine. Lets leave it at that, shall we?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:58 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I am not against corporal punishment at home, but I am against it at schools. The teachers and administrators should be skilled enough to control and discipline students without physical force. Also unfortunately in this day and age, I wouldn't trust a teacher or administrator to necessarily know when it is truly necessary.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:41 PM

739 posts, read 2,186,201 times
I think it might be okay for a teacher to paddle my kid if the teacher, beforehand, can last 30 seconds alone in a locked room with me and my paddle.

My spouse is a teacher in an inner city school and has a lot of challenging students. He/she doesn't need a paddle because speaking to a mis-behaving student about what is expected of them is usually effective.

I taught for a while in a maximum security prison in Massachusetts. A lot of my students there would not approve of paddling children for any reason, and would express their dis-approval in no uncertain terms to a paddler. Anyone who believes in paddling some one smaller and weaker, can I hook you up there for the 30 second tryout?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:25 PM

Thumbs up willdufauve

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
I think it might be okay for a teacher to paddle my kid if the teacher, beforehand, can last 30 seconds alone in a locked room with me and my paddle.

My spouse is a teacher in an inner city school and has a lot of challenging students. He/she doesn't need a paddle because speaking to a mis-behaving student about what is expected of them is usually effective.

I taught for a while in a maximum security prison in Massachusetts. A lot of my students there would not approve of paddling children for any reason, and would express their dis-approval in no uncertain terms to a paddler. Anyone who believes in paddling some one smaller and weaker, can I hook you up there for the 30 second tryout?

LoL!! Right?!?!? You and your spouse are very brave in what you are doing there. Those kids need a chance just as well as the jocks and brainyacs. Most of them just want to be heard, but noone is listening. My hat is off to you and your spouse, keep up the good work.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-27-2007, 05:03 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,287 times
Quote:
Cries out the person who claims lead in toys is the cause for kids in america to have disfuntional behaviour. LOL..

To your and sons credit, we dont need to resort to caines or paddling. We have guns and knives to set em straight, thats the answer for you folks.

You have your thang and your mentality and i have mine. Lets leave it at that, shall we?
this looks like you cannot support your point anymore.

Children have always been immature and childish. Back in the fifties and sixties there was a lot of racism in schools. There was bullying to a HUGE extreme, So times have not really gotten worse or better. The times have changed better or for worse.
when people say "The good ol' days" those people are usually middle aged and try to find every little thing wrong with our present society, because they are not in their glory days anymore and a younger generation has took over the culture. All those middle-aged people are left with "bitterness".

My parents have never put a finger on me. They taught me discipline through words and yelling. lol But never physical discipline. I never broke a huge law, never even had detention. Physical discipline is not needed. I am neutral in this situation. But it is not a normal form of parenting to paddle a child. I think if a parent cannot control their youngster. They have failed as a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education