Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times

Advertisements

I went to my 40th last year. We have one every five years and I have missed one. I had moved and the committee did not have my new address. The same committee has organized them 30-35 years. They are people who still live around the town where I went to high school. I always have a good time, but the last wasn't as much fun. The band was too loud for a relaitvely small room and people had to go outside to carry on a conversation. People weren't drinking because the drinks were too expensive. This meant that people did not hang out around the bar and mingle. Many people sat at the same table all evening.

After 40 years, there are people you don't recognize. As someone else mentioned, there are always people who are attending their first one. There were almost 600 in my class, so there were many people you didn't know when you were in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 03:48 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
My class has one every 5 years. In addition, some classmates have mini reunions every other year or so. I've gone to a few of them, and they were fun.

I've become friends with a couple of classmates that I wasn't friends with when I was in high school. They're great people, but we just never met because we didn't have the same classes back in the day, so never really interacted until the reunions.

So, yes I'd go if I were free that day.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:48 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
It would depend on who else was going. If I knew someone I wanted to see were going to be there, I'd think about going. We had a huge graduating class so most people I didn't know and have kept up with even fewer.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:13 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I live in a completely different part of the country from both the high school and college I attended. A week's time is not nearly enough warning for me to rearrange my life to accommodate such an invitation. So I would respond, "No, absolutely not."
Same here. I would go if I happened to be in the area, but otherwise no.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:46 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
saw this being discussed on another forum , thought i would start it here , just wondering if suddenly you got a letter through the door asking you to go to a school reunion party in a weeks time , would you drop everything and go or would you say no?

I am booked months in advance.
If I get an invitation to almost anything with JUST a week notice, I will be unavailable.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed my 40th reunion... to which I had 6 months notice.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:36 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
I've been out of high school for five years. My class put together a reunion at a local community center a few months ago. They organized it through Facebook. I declined and didn't want to go because I feel like five years is too soon. It turns out nobody I really cared about attended the reunion. I saw the pictures on Facebook. It was basically the same group of people that were friends in high school and always get together whenever they are home from college.

I don't know about my 10 year reunion. It depends how much I have done with my life. I don't want to go if I am stuck in some dead end job and barely making it.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
In a week's time, no, because I attended both K-12 and college a long ways away from where I live.

But there's really no way that I'd get only a week's notice, because both my high school and my college plan reunions at a uniform time. My high school's reunions are always held during an annual town festival that's been going on for 70 years in the late summer, and my college's class reunions are always held homecoming weekend in the fall. So you always know when reunions are.

Overall, of reunions planned (which have included my 5-year and 10-year HS reunion, and my 5-year and 10-year college class reunion - small liberal arts college, they do reunions), I've gone. I had small graduating classes in both HS and college, and everybody knew everybody.

My HS class did not plan a 15-year reunion, opting instead to save the money in our fund for a bigger 20th reunion. That will be next year, and if I'm in the area, I'll go. My college 15-year is this fall, and I will likely be overseas when it occurs, but if I were in the country, I'd go. Good people.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
I have no desire to go to any high school reunion, but I would certainly not go on such short notice. Also, as others have said, it would involve the expense of flying and a hotel which would not be insignificant. I live quite far from my little high school town.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I'm not opposed to attending reunions -- unlike many posters, I actually enjoyed high school -- but I live a long, long way from my hometown, and I simply can't drop everything to go party with people I haven't seen for nearly thirty years. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, my husband and I are going to Bali.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:53 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Hecccccckkk no! Not even if I lost a bunch of weight and looked better than I did in high school, absolutely not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education