Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
Our economy could not support people 15-18 working full time. That would be an entire new (and huge) demographic looking for jobs and would drive wages down even further for the rest of us.
I wonder if it could if we deported all of the illegals taking jobs. This demographic would be looking for entry level jobs. The kind illegals now have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If the question is (as the thread title says) "Why do we make kids go to school?", there are many reasons that have nothing to do with college prep. We're talking, I think, about compulsory education for children, not college for young adults.

Here are a few:

So people can read, write and do at least rudimentary math; to read the paper or even a comic book for enjoyment; to write a note or letter; to balance a checkbook. We need an educated population for a democracy to work.

I do not note any shortage of trades workers. The statistics, which I have posted many times on this very forum, show that the more education the higher the wages (on average of course, there are always outliers) and the lower the unemployment. That is unarguable. Many of these trades take as long to qualify for now as college does, and one hardly wants their electrician, plumber, etc to be totally ignorant. I may not want to discuss literature with them, but I want them to be able to do the job correctly.

Europe, Europe, Europe! Please research the education system in the various European countries and post the information here.

Really? College is BIG BUSINESS. One reason for wanting every student to graduate from high school is to provide more students to keep the BIG BUSINESS of higher education going. IMO, this is a very STRONG reason to have all kids go to school. The kind of money we're talking about definitely drives us towards more kids in school and more kids on college prep programs. Yes, I think this is a STRONG contributing factor to wanting every child to go to school. Parents are sold on college for their kids. Kids are sold on college for them. Universities and banks writing loans to fund higher education are cashing in at the expense of students who should never have gone to college in the first place. This is a BIG contributor to the problem. In case you haven't noticed, higher education is a booming business. Money is a very strong motivator for keeping all kids in school when many belong in job training programs. We have this mindset that everyone must graduate and then we send way too many kids to colleges to feed the beast.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I wonder if it could if we deported all of the illegals taking jobs. This demographic would be looking for entry level jobs. The kind illegals now have.
There are a lot more 15 to 18 year olds than there are illegals.

Are There Really Jobs Americans Won

While this report implies that there are no jobs that native born americans will not do, I suspect there are many jobs that teenagers would not want to do.

Are immigrants taking American jobs? Probably not.

Left and Right Agree: Immigrants Don't Take American Jobs - NationalJournal.com

Old 08-17-2014, 01:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
You mean like picking lettuce and tomatoes and watermelons in the fields outside Yuma when it's 115 degrees?

How many teenagers do you know who will do that? For that matter how many adult citizens do you know who will pick crops?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-17-2014 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You probably don't have kids, and are also out of your mind to suggest such thing!

What needs to happen right now is to screen people before being allowed to have kids. To many idiots have kids and end up costing tax payers money through the fact that they know they can suck the system instead of working hard to support themselves.

I can't see one way where this would be true:

Are you on some drugs or something?

Kids don't know $hit when they're born, they need GUIDANCE in order to make good choices and become responsible adults! Letting them loose would be like freezing all the killers we have in jails now! It would be a HAZARD to humanity. Seriously, you need psychiatric help.
By high school they should know all the basic things they need to. Not all kids are interested in high paying jobs. We need to stop pushing our children to do things they don't want to do. Otherwise we'll get crappy results. If your child wants to be a lawyer, they'll stay in school, it's that simple. If they want to cook, how will staying in school help them. They should be able to learn these skills. Isn't this what every child is told, you can be whatever you want. It's not like they can't go back to school when they're more mature.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You mean like picking lettuce and tomatoes and watermelons in the fields outside Yuma when it's 115 degrees?

How many teenagers do you know who will do that? For that matter how many legal citizens who are adults (say the people who were employed by the auto industry before it collapsed) do you know who will do it?
Yes. I think those jobs just might convince a few in the 15-18 year age group that education or training aren't such a bad idea. Others who really don't want any kind of education will need those jobs. You go where the jobs are if you don't want to go to school or train for something else. As long as we have unemployed people and we have people on welfare, we should not be employing illegals. We need to take care of our own first. I'm willing to pay more for lettuce and watermelon to accomplish that. Send the illegals home and give the jobs to our own kids. I'm willing to bet a summer in the fields will be very enlightening for some of them.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
By high school they should know all the basic things they need to. Not all kids are interested in high paying jobs. We need to stop pushing our children to do things they don't want to do. Otherwise we'll get crappy results. If your child wants to be a lawyer, they'll stay in school, it's that simple. If they want to cook, how will staying in school help them. They should be able to learn these skills. Isn't this what every child is told, you can be whatever you want. It's not like they can't go back to school when they're more mature.

SHOULD is the operative word. We have dummied down education to the point that getting to high school only proves you attended class enough to get passed on to the next grade. We are graduating high percentages of kids who cannot do simple math and who cannot read. Yes, they SHOULD know the basics by high school but what percentage doesn't?

Old 08-17-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Send the illegals home and give the jobs to our own kids.
Lol. If you think the average American 15-18 year old is going to last more than a couple of hours picking crops when it's 115 degrees I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Lol. If you think the average American 15-18 year old is going to last more than a couple of hours picking crops when it's 115 degrees I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in.
actually I did this kind of work at age 18-19, for crop-pickers' wages too.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadredleaves View Post
actually I did this kind of work at age 18-19, for crop-pickers' wages too.
Hard work, wasn't it? When you were out there did you think, "If I have kids I want them picking crops for a living. Forget education. Being in the fields is the way to achieve success." (?)

The VAST majority of undocumented workers want their kids in school, getting an education so they won't be bent over a row of tomato plants in the hot sun. The Americans who fled the Dust Bowl for California during the Depression wanted the same thing for their children. I've never met anyone from either group (and I've known many) who would blithely declare, as Ivorytickler did, "Let the teenagers pick lettuce!" I've found the people who think that are conservatives who have decided illegals are taking jobs away from Americans. I've yet to meet one of those who has actually sent their own teenager to Yuma to pick watermelon.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-17-2014 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education