Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
I've been using DuoLingo for the past year to learn Italian. It's a fun, interactive way to learn the language, although it lacks a lot of grammar and conjugation rules. To help supplement, I just ordered some books from Amazon on grammar and conjugation. I hope that between these new books and DuoLingo my Italian will improve. Also, on DuoLingo, I find that in the exercises where I use the microphone to mimic the sentence or phrase, I can absolutely murder the pronunciation and DL says I did fine, and there are times when I absolutely nail it, and DL has me continually repeat it.

But for a free app, I think it's a great little aid.
Good point. As you're going along, DL kinds of leaves it up to you to figure out grammar and conjugations, though there are notes that you can click on and even notes at the end of each section (at least for French) that do help in explaining the principles of the language. I guess since I was going through the French course as a review after taking it for three years in high school, there were a lot of things that I already knew so it didn't matter so much and I didn't realize that there were other gaps that may exist for completely new language learners. FWIW I finished the French course before they started putting up the notes separately, so that's one big improvement that wasn't there when I started.

Oh, and in regards to the speaking/microphone aspect, I turned that off after the first day or two of use because I found it to be terrible and hindering to my progress. The technology doesn't seem to be refined enough to work like they want it to.

DL also has message boards where people can discuss the language and where native speakers sometimes chime in with insights about what certain words or phrases actually mean or how the language is actually used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:42 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
I've been using DuoLingo for the past year to learn Italian. It's a fun, interactive way to learn the language, although it lacks a lot of grammar and conjugation rules. To help supplement, I just ordered some books from Amazon on grammar and conjugation. I hope that between these new books and DuoLingo my Italian will improve. Also, on DuoLingo, I find that in the exercises where I use the microphone to mimic the sentence or phrase, I can absolutely murder the pronunciation and DL says I did fine, and there are times when I absolutely nail it, and DL has me continually repeat it.

But for a free app, I think it's a great little aid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Good point. As you're going along, DL kinds of leaves it up to you to figure out grammar and conjugations, though there are notes that you can click on and even notes at the end of each section (at least for French) that do help in explaining the principles of the language. I guess since I was going through the French course as a review after taking it for three years in high school, there were a lot of things that I already knew so it didn't matter so much and I didn't realize that there were other gaps that may exist for completely new language learners. FWIW I finished the French course before they started putting up the notes separately, so that's one big improvement that wasn't there when I started.

Oh, and in regards to the speaking/microphone aspect, I turned that off after the first day or two of use because I found it to be terrible and hindering to my progress. The technology doesn't seem to be refined enough to work like they want it to.

DL also has message boards where people can discuss the language and where native speakers sometimes chime in with insights about what certain words or phrases actually mean or how the language is actually used.
With Livemocha, you speak into a microphone, but a native speaker will assess it and give you feedback. In return, you do it for people trying to learn English.

Livemocha has the same issues with grammar, syntax, and such. I like to learn the actual rules. And one thing that almost no language prep does, is teach you the exact translation. For example, please in French is s'il vous (te) plait. That actually translates to if you please. Knowing these rhythms is very important, imo.

It drives me crazy when I am watching a French movie with English subtitles and recognizing that they are not translating the movie, but rather, just giving you the gist.

I'm weird that way, though.

Somewhere along the way, Livemocha and Rosetta Stone joined forces. Now, I am constantly getting discount offers for Rosetta Stone via Livemocha.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:32 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
With Livemocha, you speak into a microphone, but a native speaker will assess it and give you feedback. In return, you do it for people trying to learn English.

Livemocha has the same issues with grammar, syntax, and such. I like to learn the actual rules. And one thing that almost no language prep does, is teach you the exact translation. For example, please in French is s'il vous (te) plait. That actually translates to if you please. Knowing these rhythms is very important, imo.

It drives me crazy when I am watching a French movie with English subtitles and recognizing that they are not translating the movie, but rather, just giving you the gist.

I'm weird that way, though.

Somewhere along the way, Livemocha and Rosetta Stone joined forces. Now, I am constantly getting discount offers for Rosetta Stone via Livemocha.
Yeah I like to know literal translations because I think it's helpful to know exactly how a phrase is derived, especially the common ones that are just thrown at you (i.e. "voilà" is from vois and là meaning "see there" but colloquially means a number of related things). I'm like that about English words and phrases, too. I teach social studies, not English or language arts, but I always try to take some time to explain Greek/Latin roots and even idioms to my students when we come across them.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:44 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
I agree with several people on the web who believe Rosetta is not a good tool. Rosetta is just too inefficient. There are much much better resources to learn a language for the same price or cheaper. I went ahead and tried Rosetta out, I was provided a free copy, thinking that it could be helpful as an additional resource, but I found that the detractors are correct. It's methodology is too slow, ineffecient, and not to mention, it doesn't focus on teaching kernel lexicon. A similar issue I have with memrise. There are several reviews from various polygots online that expand on this issue. It's simply not worth the time and money. Especially with Russian. Anyone learning Russian, I would highly recommend the Russian Accelerator (you can find the alphabet lessons online for free and the first 30 lessons on Udemy for free) or Pimsleur. Much more efficient resources.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:53 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Groupon currently has a deal up for levels 1-4 for Spanish, Italian, and French, going for $179.99:

Rosetta Stone Language Courses - Rosetta Stone Language Courses | Groupon

Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Groupon currently has a deal up for levels 1-4 for Spanish, Italian, and French, going for $179.99:

Rosetta Stone Language Courses - Rosetta Stone Language Courses | Groupon
Save your money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education