Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:08 AM

133 posts, read 534,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
The fact that he killed himself was irrelevant. And I work with kids everyday -- I think I can predict their behavior fairly well. Can you say the same?
I don't care if you work with kids every day, it certainly gives you no right to state that some teens would be snapping pictures of a person being shot in the head if the oppurtunity arose. It's attitudes like those that give my generation such a bad reputation--a reputation that the majority of teens do not deserve.

And, of course students are going to be calling their parents. They're absolutely terrified, and there's a man walking around campus with a gun. I can say quite confidently that even at 18 years old, I would be calling my mum before anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 12:14 AM

133 posts, read 534,338 times
They allowed cell phones in my high school, but they had to be switched off during class hours. If a student was seen texting with his/her cellphone, or his/her cellphone rang during class, it was usually taken up by the teacher and handed over the vice principles. It could be collected by the student at the end of the day with a $15 fee, and the student would then have to sit for three hours in the library on a Wednesday afternoon following school as a sort of extended detention.

This worked really well for the majority of students at the school. Of course, there were teachers who just gave the all-too-familiar patronizing glare if a cellphone beeped or buzzed during class and that was that, but most of them followed the rules quite closely. The policy worked really well for the school--I forgot to turn my cellphone off in school one time during sophomore year, and that three hours of hell was enough for me. I never had my phone on in school again!

Old 12-26-2007, 01:02 AM

498 posts, read 1,519,520 times
Thumbs up Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I can tell you regardless of what rules the school makes, my daughter will always have a cell phone on her. I simply don't trust them anymore. She has to have a way to reach out to me if she feels she needs to.

She is responsible enough to NOT use it under the wrong circumstances.

I told the principal this when I spoke with him.

If the school does something irresponsible or illegal (like choking a student) and she catches it on her camera phone, then OH WELL.

I am so sorry to hear that about your daughter. We have quite the crew here ourselves. I honestly do believe that if a person has the oppurtunity to have their cell phone ON THEM AND TURNED ON WITH NO VOLUME. It can be what actually saves their lives one day. If it isn't turned on and on their person though than it is just back to a scary situation possibly. I think if they made all the kids put their phones out and on their desks turned upside down, then maybe they could begin to trust themselves, if we do. It is real easy to push one number down for about 3 seconds then a person could get 911 on the line at least, which would or should come up with an address and could possibly even be able to hear what is going on. These kids have fast fingers and are expert texters, most of em'. That would need to be utilized in a dangerous situation. These kids feel safer with their phones and I'd like to say that EVERY PARENT could appreciate that and feel they are safer too.

There are very different things going on in this world today than yesterday. We have actual terrorists among us in the lots!! The children all know it. They see it, they feel it, and some of them actually live it. So yes, I wish you would encourage your child to keep her phone on her and turned ON but silenced. There is also the tracking system that could help some day. God forbid anything happen to any child that is bad, but we all know stuff happens around us every day. With all of that being said, No- Absolutely no phone should be being utilized during class unless of emergency. I believe the teacher should have a turned on phone on the top of their desk as well. If we have it, why not use it?? I think the desk thing would solve a lot of the sneaking around. Just my opinion. My hat is off to ya, your a good mom!

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-26-2007, 01:07 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
We had a case where a kid in this county was walking to school, along a WELL traveled road. A man tried to get him to get in his car, when the kid moved away, the man tried to grab him and force him. The child was able to get away from him but was also able to take some pictures of the car and license plates of the car the man was driving.

As it turns out, this man was a registered pedophile. Because of this young mans cell phone and his quick thinking, he could have saved other children from some life long traumtizing problems.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:11 AM

Thumbs up Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by part_iv View Post
I don't care if you work with kids every day, it certainly gives you no right to state that some teens would be snapping pictures of a person being shot in the head if the oppurtunity arose. It's attitudes like those that give my generation such a bad reputation--a reputation that the majority of teens do not deserve.

And, of course students are going to be calling their parents. They're absolutely terrified, and there's a man walking around campus with a gun. I can say quite confidently that even at 18 years old, I would be calling my mum before anyone else.
BLESS YOUR HEART!! I am so glad to see you kids get up and tell people who you really are. As long as you are being responsible for who you are in life than you should have a good, long prosperous life.
You're a good boy for calling "mum" , ain't nothin wrong with that.

JUST A MUM LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-26-2007, 01:17 AM

Smile Linsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
We had a case where a kid in this county was walking to school, along a WELL traveled road. A man tried to get him to get in his car, when the kid moved away, the man tried to grab him and force him. The child was able to get away from him but was also able to take some pictures of the car and license plates of the car the man was driving.

As it turns out, this man was a registered pedophile. Because of this young mans cell phone and his quick thinking, he could have saved other children from some life long traumtizing problems.

There is alot of scary stuff out there for children to deal with. Pedophile is one word that I always clench on. Thank God for that little boy. Let's hope he NEVER GETS OUT!!!

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-26-2007, 01:24 AM

Smile Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
The fact that he killed himself was irrelevant. And I work with kids everyday -- I think I can predict their behavior fairly well. Can you say the same?

I'm sorry but I disagree. No one can predict a childs mind. The child themselves can not even predict what they will do next. I do believe that you try though. I wouldn't necessarily say that is a bad thing. If it works for ya than go for it, but watch around you cause you just don't know what is going to happen next, with who. Be aware.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-26-2007, 01:45 AM

Smile Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If it is a real emergency you can call the school office and they will go and get him from class. If it involves his ride home you can siimply text or leave a voice mail that he can get from his phone at the end of the school day. Cell phones do not belong with students during school. They should be OFF and in the student's locker.

Hi Kev,

I'm sorry, I disagree. As a matter of fact, I am quite the opposite on this issue. If a kid could have a phone on them and turned on, but silenced, then they would stand a better chance at help from a preditor.
When the phone is turned off, than when you turn it on, then it makes music or some kind of sound usually. Well that is a dead give away that someone is trying to call for help, to the preditor.
If the phone is in the locker or in their book bag, than it leaves them helpless to a possible horrible situation. There is too much that goes on with our kids during those EDUCATIONAL ACADEMICALLY hours that they spend there with all those different people. Ya think ya know somebody, but you don't. You don't know what a person is going to do until they do it.
I really hope you rethink this for your daughter and every child.

I'm thinkin that if the kids were to bring them to class, turn them on, silence them, and leave them laying on top of their desks upside down. That would take the sneak (fun) right out of it. Like I said, we have expert texters as kids. That may need to be utilized in a dangerous or emergency situation. All they would have to do is push one number for about 3 seconds (if that) and get 911 on the line. The address should show at least. They can't do that with it turned off and not on their person. My kid is instructed to keep it on him at all times if possible. During PE may be another story, but he is to keep it on him and turned on and down during school hours.

This may come out to an advantage for a teacher or administration one of these days then they will be wanting them around to save their rear ends too.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-26-2007, 07:26 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
When fights/altercations arise in my school (and they do), kids don't run AWAY, they run TO the fight. And if you look at YouTube and MySpace, you'll find numerous videos, taken by students, of fights and beat-downs, and the like. People (adults, too, not just kids) record videos of just about everything these days -- this wouldn't be an exception.

Quote:
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with calling home. I was responding to the poster who said all the kids with cell phones would be calling the police for help. My point was that most kids would be calling home, not the police.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:29 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
I believe this thread is/was about cell phones on grade school and high school campuses - not College

Cell Phones do not belong on Grade school or High Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education