Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times

Advertisements

I think that we're raising a generation of distracted people who multi task 100% of the day. Some of them have little social skills and some of have off the chart social skills. I don't think that is different than any other generation except that even the awkward people that might not be so charming IRL can put on that persona on-line. I don't see a lot of difference in volunteering in this group of kids than the now late 20 somethings. My kids all volunteer and I don't usually know about it until after the fact. We, as parents, ingrained volunteering in them when they were growing up. I think that's how it's always been. I think that they are, as a whole, very cynical and tend not to believe anything as true. They've grown up knowing that Fox news is all about spinning the news - how can they then wholeheartedly trust other news stations?

People are people, only our points of reference change.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Hardly a bit of your statement I agree with (sorry). High school kids are not nearly as social OR as community oriented as before. They live in their OWN world. Via technology their emphasis is not being socially interactive, but engrained in everything that concerns them. Due to their tremendous lack of self confidence (based once again on not having learned how to actually socialize face to face with their peers) their worth is determined by how many people will actually "like" their posts or acknowledge how great they look on the latest homepage picture. It's almost impossible to drag today's teenagers into any volunteerism unless they are guaranteed that it be acknowledged in some way via the media. They can't drag themselves away from their IPhones long enough.

They may be able to deal with teachers a little better since these kids have lost a lot of their individualism once again mainly due to technology. A nice little bunch of sheep afraid to not fit into the mold that's accepted on the social media sites or all of the popular download sites. One wrong post and their status in school or with the "in" crowd is ruined.

Granted that the one thing that they've mastered is the ability to look up information faster than their predecessors. But, are they really learning the information, or briefly touching it.

Don't get me going on the "phenomenon" of globalization. Todays teenagers are the LEAST informed when it comes to what is really going on in the rest of the world. They are so bombarded with useless information such as how the Kardashians are doing or carrying on some moronic texting conversation complete with all the newly created abbreviated slang words that their day is too full to learn about the world outside of their personal Pleasantville.
This, this and only this.

The illusion that it is otherwise is just wishful thinking.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:20 PM

425 posts, read 431,773 times
"This" is quite a shallow view of the current generation, so I'd say no. Speak for your own illusions.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I do think a large majority of them have a texting problem. I don't have anything against texting, but doing it out of context (ex when with someone else) is rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education