Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2023, 10:43 AM

6,922 posts, read 6,991,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
AP/IB programs schedule exams as a whole i.e. it’s typically not up to an individual high-school teacher.
The AP exam would be based on the program as a whole. The grade that you get in the class would be determined by the teacher.

Quote:
That said, why would you alert the teachers of the exact day in advance, lol? That sounds more ‘goody two-shoes’ than disobedient, per the thread.
I didn't alert the teacher of the exact day, but it was not a secret, so everybody would know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 11:01 AM

8,486 posts, read 3,732,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The AP exam would be based on the program as a whole. The grade that you get in the class would be determined by the teacher.
AP courses are college-level curricula/exams (created by the College Board). One’s grade is determined by AP exams (the dates of which are known well in advance).

Quote:
I didn't alert the teacher of the exact day, but it was not a secret, so everybody would know.
It is supposed to be a secret from teachers, in the same way one wouldn’t tattle for anything else; otherwise, it’s not ditching, heh. Again, it’s being a ‘goody two-shoes’ (as opposed to disobedient, per the thread).

Old 01-13-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
AP courses are college-level curricula/exams (created by the College Board). One’s grade is determined by AP exams (the dates of which are known well in advance).
The score on your AP exam is determined by the AP exam. The grade on your report card is determined by your teacher, and is calculated before the AP exam score is even known. At least that's how it was in my day. Our grades had to be known before graduation (June 22, 1997 in my case), but AP exam scores were not released until July (July 3, 1997, in my case).

Quote:
It is supposed to be a secret from teachers,
In my school, it was always the day before the junior prom. The date of the junior prom would be known.

Quote:
in the same way one wouldn’t tattle for anything else; otherwise, it’s not ditching, heh. Again, it’s being a ‘goody two-shoes’ (as opposed to disobedient, per the thread).
Again, I did not tell any teachers when senior cut out day was.

Old 01-13-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
The score on your AP exam is determined by the AP exam. The grade on your report card is determined by your teacher, and is calculated before the AP exam score is even known. At least that's how it was in my day.
Point being, as previously stated, it’s not the teacher’s curriculum or determination as to testing.

Quote:
In my school, it was always the day before the junior prom. The date of the junior prom would be known.
It’s weird a ‘ditch day’ would be known or ‘officially scheduled’ the same day every year i.e. it defeats the purpose, lol - particularly if an AP teacher is somehow scheduling a test (of her own) relative to such. Too funny; it would be (past) time for someone to come up with a new plan for those who want to ditch a day as seniors. :-)

Btw, there was a separate prom for just juniors?

Old 01-13-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Point being, as previously stated, it’s not the teacher’s curriculum or determination as to testing.
He can give whatever tests he wants to give in class. They are separate from the AP exam.

Quote:
It’s weird a ‘ditch day’ would be known or ‘officially scheduled’ the same day every year i.e. it defeats the purpose, lol - particularly if an AP teacher is somehow scheduling a test (of her own) relative to such.
I see your point. (not that it matters, but my AP calc teacher was a man).

Quote:
Too funny; it would be (past) time for someone to come up with a new plan for those who want to ditch a day as seniors. :-)

Btw, there was a separate prom for just juniors?
Yes, the junior prom was in the school gym on a Saturday night during the spring. The senior prom was at a catering hall on the Thursday night before graduation (after graduation in my case). There was also a senior banquet, on a Thursday night during the winter. Some students cut school the day after the banquet, so my AP calc teacher said that in the future he'll start giving a major exam that day. No idea if he did that in future years or not. He was also famous for always giving a major exam on the Ides of March (Mar. 15), but that fell on a Sunday the year I had him, so it didn't happen.

Old 01-13-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
He can give whatever tests he wants to give in class. They are separate from the AP exam.
The curriculum/exams aren’t his; he can’t go rogue.

That said, relative to the thread, the whole point of senior ditching is to do so when teachers don’t know (and to suffer minimal, if any, consequences). You’d think kids in AP classes would be a bit smarter than that (and, naturally, work around scheduled exams i.e. plan it for the beginning of the last grading period). It’s not rocket science i.e. IB Physics. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This doesn't make sense.

If you get suspended on the last day of school, you're probably already finished with all your finals and prom. This looks like an empty scare tactic.
However, I still agree with Rocko; it’s a melodramatic scare tactic/scenario as who is going to get suspended the last day of senior year? That’s not being disobedient/bad (for fun), per the thread; it’s being stupid, lol. :-)

Old 01-13-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I never said that he went rogue. He followed the AP curriculum. We took the AP exam. When you were in school, didn't your teachers give exams throughout the school year? The exams we had during the school year (NOT the AP exam) were written by him, and given on the day of his choosing, just like any other class.

Quote:
That said, relative to the thread, the whole point of senior ditching is to do so when teachers don’t know (and to suffer minimal, if any, consequences). You’d think kids in AP classes would be a bit smarter than that (and, naturally, work around scheduled exams i.e. plan it for the beginning of the last grading period). It’s not rocket science i.e. IB Physics. :-)
It was senior cut out day for the entire school, not just AP students. And, everybody in the school knew that if you signed up for AP Calculus or AP English, it meant not being able to cut on senior cut out day.

Quote:
However, I still agree with Rocko; it’s a melodramatic scare tactic/scenario as who is going to get suspended the last day of senior year? That’s not being disobedient/bad (for fun), per the thread; it’s being stupid, lol. :-)
It could be. I honestly don't know.

Old 01-13-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
It was senior cut out day for the entire school, not just AP students. And, everybody in the school knew that if you signed up for AP Calculus or AP English, it meant not being able to cut on senior cut out day.
Obviously, it’s for those who want to do it i.e. there are no rules for ditching in high-school as a senior - other than we weren’t supposed to do so, lol. At my high-school, it was an ‘unofficial tradition’ occurring sometime at the start of the last grading period (when there are no tests for anyone). There was no ‘senior cut-out day’ (that was known to teachers in advance). Too funny re: everyone knew if you signed up for AP Calculus.

The same was the case relative to fraternity hazing in college (some of which was fairly ‘naughty’, per the thread) i.e. ‘unofficial tradition’ in which I participated.

Old 01-13-2023, 05:48 PM

12,626 posts, read 8,850,364 times
Quote:
The AP exam for AP credit is voluntary. Not everyone who takes the AP class takes the AP exam. Class exams and class grade are a different thing and up to the teacher what they're going to do.

Quote:

When I was in school we didn't have a senior ditch day. Can't recall if my kids had one either. But if they did, knowing the kids around here, it was probably announced in school and coordinated ahead of time to make sure they had enough food and games at whoever's house they'd be hanging out at.

Old 01-13-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The AP exam for AP credit is voluntary. Not everyone who takes the AP class takes the AP exam.
Yeah, for those who only take one class (AP Calculus or whatever), it is/was very common not to. However, I’m speaking to the program, as a whole. The entire point, at the end of the day, is to receive advanced placement/credit/consideration at a higher-tiered college, which isn’t happening sans a 4/5 (five exams).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
When I was in school we didn't have a senior ditch day. Can't recall if my kids had one either. But if they did, knowing the kids around here, it was probably announced in school and coordinated ahead of time to make sure they had enough food and games at whoever's house they'd be hanging out at.
Too funny. We didn’t have an official ditch day, either; mitsguy2011 stated he did. We planned it amongst our friends/other students; no teachers, lol (and parents didn’t know either - at least mine didn’t). Else, it’s not ‘ditching’. Hence the reason I found his comments to be a bit odd/humorous i.e. students knew in advance they couldn’t ditch if they signed up for AP Calculus; it’s far from ‘naughty’, per the thread. :-)

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 01-13-2023 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: added last sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education