Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 09:49 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times

Advertisements

I work with college freshmen every day.

Why can't Brianna or Justin read or write at the college level????

1. Most don't read books and did not grow up reading books for pleasure- therefore they cannot read or write adequately.
I have handed students a book and have watched them stare at it as if they've never seen one in their lives. Most do not know how to find information in a non-fiction book and do not look for an index.

2. They all live on cell phones alone and cannot use computers to type and compose papers. You'd think competent computer use would be a given nowadays- but it has actually been declining in the last few years.

3. They have been so hand- held and helicoptered by parents that their social skills and life preparation/problem solving is minimal.

4. Attention spans have been reduced to about 30 seconds due to multi-media exposure.

5. Higher percentage of non English speakers are being accepted into schools. Some are immigrants, legal and illegal, some foreigners are admitted for their tuition payments since they pay full tuition.

6. Kids who don't have the intellectual capacity to succeed are being accepted. Agree with the posters who said teachers can't change genetics and basic ability. Problem is there is no longer any place in society and the work place for the minimally capable and skilled- the unskilled factory work is long gone. The military no longer accepts them either.

You can't blame teachers for all of this. They have been heavily encouraged to socially promote and increase percentages of HS graduates. Only the ones with academic integrity give failing grades when deserved because they face such opposition and blame from parents and school administrators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 11:15 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

1. Most don't read books and did not grow up reading books for pleasure- therefore they cannot read or write adequately.
I have handed students a book and have watched them stare at it as if they've never seen one in their lives. Most do not know how to find information in a non-fiction book and do not look for an index.

2. They all live on cell phones alone and cannot use computers to type and compose papers. You'd think competent computer use would be a given nowadays- but it has actually been declining in the last few years.

3. They have been so hand- held and helicoptered by parents that their social skills and life preparation/problem solving is minimal.

4. Attention spans have been reduced to about 30 seconds due to multi-media exposure.

5. Higher percentage of non English speakers are being accepted into schools. Some are immigrants, legal and illegal, some foreigners are admitted for their tuition payments since they pay full tuition.

6. Kids who don't have the intellectual capacity to succeed are being accepted. Agree with the posters who said teachers can't change genetics and basic ability. Problem is there is no longer any place in society and the work place for the minimally capable and skilled- the unskilled factory work is long gone. The military no longer accepts them either.

You can't blame teachers for all of this. They have been heavily encouraged to socially promote and increase percentages of HS graduates. Only the ones with academic integrity give failing grades when deserved because they face such opposition and blame from parents and school administrators.

What's posted above pretty well sums it up AND it's not getting any better. The last paragraph is the real kicker.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:23 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon ducks View Post
my qestion is that how many mentally challenge people actually get a high school diploma in the u.s.a
It is not like a real high school diploma. It is like a certificate showing they completed high school. I know someone who has one. She has mental disabilities. She completed high school but didn't get an actual diploma.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:03 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
It is not like a real high school diploma. It is like a certificate showing they completed high school. I know someone who has one. She has mental disabilities. She completed high school but didn't get an actual diploma.
It's a certificate of completion. The student has taken all the required courses, period. It is not the same as a high school diploma (at least not in my state).

Old 10-30-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

How did they get into college, especially given how competitive it is now? Wouldn't SAT scores exclude someone who is a low level reader?

In our community colleges, students who cannot pass the "placement" reading test are enrolled in a remedial English course, for which they receive no credit.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
In my state, students with IEPs may graduate with a certificate of completion based on their completion of IEP goals and objectives, or they may graduate based on letter grades, with a diploma. It depends on which is specified in their IEP, and is dictated by the nature of their disability.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
How did they get into college, especially given how competitive it is now?
On the writing front, because the bar is quite low on writing aptitude. If colleges determined admission based on whether or not the applicant is a skilled writer, they'd admit a tiny fraction of applicants.

Honestly, getting into the vast majority of colleges is NOT that competitive.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
On the writing front, because the bar is quite low on writing aptitude.

Honestly, getting into the vast majority of colleges is NOT that competitive.
I'm referring to the reading comprehension part of the SAT, not writing.

And our UC system and is very competitive, much more than it was decades ago when my generation was applying to college. Many private colleges expect multiple AP courses from applicants. Even the California State University system is more competitive than it was (back then, one could get in with a 2.8 GPA).

Old 10-30-2016, 10:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How would you have felt repeating all of 8th grade, every single class you'd already passed, because of failing Math?
Worrying about how little Johnny or Suzie feels about failure is the the crux of the problem. We do children a disservice when we worry more about how the feel than what they accomplish.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 10-30-2016 at 10:43 AM..

Old 10-30-2016, 11:43 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I have a friend with 2 college degrees who is very dyslexic and can actually read very little. She had to find work arounds. She had friends read her assignments into a recorder and she developed her own system of taking notes in class. All her notebooks looked like page after page of doodles. But she can point to any place on the page and tell you what the instructor was talking about when she drew that specific doodle!

She knew she would most likely fail any blue book test/written essay. Her work around for that was to look at the files of the instructor's past tests and her class work. She would determine 4 or 5 of the most likely questions and write her answers. She would have someone else correct her work and do her best to memorize the answers. She did much better at multiple choice or fill in the blank. Any class that had a lot of writing was hard for her.

She was persistent and made it! She loves autocorrect! I actually get readable e-mails from her now. I'm sure she wishes it had been around when she was in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education