Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 AM

19 posts, read 23,383 times

Advertisements

So looking on my history, I have had a very difficult time committing, and based on what I "feel" like at the time, interest inventories have given me different suggestions on what to pick as a career through the years. Heres my history to give you a picture of me:

-In high school, I was very artistically inclined. I drew alot, and had a fair level of talent, won alot of competitions.

-after high school, I went to community college to get general course credits and take graphic design courses which seemed reasonable considering my art interest. At some point in the process, it was after taking typography, I realized that I didn't enjoy the idea of graphic design, especially if I wasn't going to be making much money. I think the fact it wasn't what I had envisioned an art career to be really turned me away. Also, I guess I started to realize that perhaps I wasn't cut out for art. I hear you need to network, and I am very introverted. I also didn't "get" the creative bone alot of artists have. My talent was rendering and making things look photo-realistic, not coming up with brilliant new ideas.

-I then tried drafting courses, working with AutoCAD, and it was mentioned to me that they make poor wages and they don't compare to the wages you see with engineers and you get burned out fast working this kind of job, and I would like to make higher wages, but I am unable to handle the math and science requirements for engineer work.

-I then started looking in other directions, starting with GIS for one reason or another, got a feeling there weren't jobs in the field, so dropped out of that.

-I then considered web design, but didn't like the idea of that because I didn't see the demand or the pay scale that I would want.

-At this point, I started working at a hospital in the kitchen, and while there I started looking for opportunities within. I looked into being a clinical lab technician, but decided against it because I don't care for blood smears or urine, and I have heard the work is incredibly tedious.

-Now I am currently trying to decide what to do from here, I am looking currently at industrial design. I like the idea that it seems like the medium between engineering and art, but I am told it is extremely competitive and I don't really want to spend time going to school for something where jobs won't be available at the end. Also, I think I just want a job I can sit down and do easily enough, that will engage me, but won't push me to be overly imaginative, just simple work really, that also can provide good wages.

-One thing to note is I enjoy planning and scheduling my days. In the past year I have developed a scheduling system to take advantage of my days. Unfortunately, I'm still not where I want to be in my life, but its kind of cool to see myself following steps I set for myself throughout the day.

Its discouraging to me to see my friends from high school getting their lives together, getting married, getting good paying jobs, getting their **** together, and I am still twiddling my thumbs. I need to change something, but I don't know what. I hope from what I've shared above, something can be drawn from it to inspire or lead me in a coherent direction.

TLDR: please read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 11:20 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
Quote:
Also, I think I just want a job I can sit down and do easily enough, that will engage me, but won't push me to be overly imaginative, just simple work really, that also can provide good wages.
OP, you could use a bit of a reality check. I'm trying to word this reply in a polite and helpful manner. If anything seems blunt, it's not meant to be! But you're 25 and really need to focus your energies on solving this problem soon.

I don't know what salary you want to make, but anything above minimum wage is going to require you to engage your brain, engage in routines and complete tasks that might be "boring" to you a certain amount of the time, and otherwise make money for your employer, if you aren't self-employed, and at this point, you clearly don't show the motivation for that. So, embrace the suckage and grow up. Your "fun" might come on the weekends.

Here is one specific game plan:

Given that you're 25, you might start out by figuring out the base salary you need to meet all of your expenses, plus trying to save 7% - 10% so that you have a cushion.

Let's say that base figure is $17,000 (just an example!)

Next, look at the fastest growing occupations and see if anything clicks with your skill set:

Fastest Growing Occupations : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

If not, here's a fuller list - BLS occupation finder:

Occupation Finder : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Now, start digging around in your area for entry level career jobs to try for. Work your network (relatives, neighbors, friends), join a professional association, use whatever local resources are available in your area. Perhaps there is also a meetup "job club" or free group like that at the public library that might also help your cause.

OP, it would be nice if you love your work and are "inspired," but at this point, it's more important that you get to work on a viable career path. That doesn't mean to take a hospital job as a nurse if you hate direct contact with sick people, but you might take several additional classes in MS Office software (if necessary), get several temp jobs as an office assistant, and then try to get on at a hospital or insurance company, art institute, solid non-profit or other type of company that's doing well and has longer-term stability.

Down the road, you could maybe produce newsletters or other types of media for them, in addition to your office assistant duties.

This is just one example! Maybe you should be a CAD - CAM operator.

You may not love being an office assistant or X, but if you get on at say, a non-profit, you may discover that they also need a photographer and find yourself also designing web sites for them, in addition to your other duties.

In the meantime, you are bring in a decent salary, saving some money, and getting out there where you have a better chance of running into opportunities.

Opportunities are not going to find you at this point. You must make an effort to get out there and find them.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:42 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,860,995 times
Here's how I would do it if I were you...

Start by looking at Indeed.com or another job site. Find descriptions of jobs you would like to do in your area, and make certain that you can find multiple postings for the same type of job easily.

Then look at the educational requirements for the job. Tailor your degree path, internships, other jobs, to match those as well as possible. Especially ensure you meet competency for all of the computer program requirements.

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2014, 02:07 PM

8,049 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Sounds like me. I allowed myself to flunk out of college and then worked in banks for a few years. When I was 22 I went to night school for computer programming (this was 1982 when you could still get a computer job without a degree). After 11 months of classes at night, and another 3 months of interviewing I landed a job at $6.50 an hour in my chosen field. So that was 30 years ago and now I earn a good living and have a career.

So, don't worry too much about not making a ton of money at first. If you enjoy your work you will earn raises and promotions. If you get into a career just because of the money, you may burn out or otherwise be unsuccessful because your heart's not in it.

Think of Willy Loman (that just popped into my head because my son had to read it over the summer).

Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Be careful who you listen to for advice from now on. While CAD people may not make as much as engineers, they can make good money. Ours here where I work are making $100k, with managers at $150k and many are getting old, so there will be retirements creating openings. GIS Architects here make $152,000, analysts $95,000 and there are more openings than for CAD now.

Industrial design students coming from the Art Institute are waiting tables or flipping burgers since there were no jobs in the last few years with outsourcing and the recession. That may be picking up, but you will have to go back to school and then compete with people having experience.

With the education you have already, perhaps look into some of the larger sign companies (not franchises) or the sign shop at a large corporation that does the work in-house. The work could be interesting and if a union shop, decent pay.
Our small shop is paying (union) people up to $70k, supervisor $95k.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:40 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,049,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overground55 View Post
Also, I think I just want a job I can sit down and do easily enough, that will engage me, but won't push me to be overly imaginative, just simple work really, that also can provide good wages.

-
Its discouraging to me to see my friends from high school getting their lives together, getting married, getting good paying jobs, getting their **** together, and I am still twiddling my thumbs.

So you want an easy job that pays a lot. Good luck with that!

What kinds of jobs do these friends of yours have that are paying well?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:14 AM

128 posts, read 201,670 times
Are there staffing companies or temp agences near you ? try Go to Networking events like on meetup.com in your field.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:26 AM

352 posts, read 324,516 times
Marketing.
Get into marketing.
It's not always easy, but it's a job that allows a creative person like you to actually be creative. You can draw and design stuff, you can think about creative ways to display things, etc. It sounds like you should try to get an entry-level marketing job.

If you want an easy job, try working in HR. HR jobs are really easy and allow you the mental stamina when you finish work to be creative on your own time. They are not the highest paying corporate jobs, but they offer steady work and opportunities to be promoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education