Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 09:37 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times

Advertisements

I have a BS in business, but, with the death of my husband I may have enough of an income to be able to go to school. I have always been fascinated by hair and I'm thinking this may be a good time. I'm in my 40's. Has anybody done hair school or any opinions? It has been a long time since I have been to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:43 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
I'm sorry to hear about the death of your husband, OP. I think it's great, though, that you're thinking about returning to school.

It's a real coincidence that you're asking about this. I just had a conversation about this with a couple of hair stylists two weeks ago. I've always been interested in becoming an esthetician/hair stylist, but went into a totally unrelated field of work (which I enjoy).

I think it's a great idea, and I'm in my 40s, too. These stylists scoffed at the idea that one's 40s is too old to begin cosmetology school. They said their programs had been full of people of all ages, many over the age of 50. Based on what they and others I've spoken to have told me, I think it's a good way to learn skills that could bring in a second income and/or generate a retirement income of some kind. Plus, with your undergraduate business degree (and perhaps years of business experience), you would bring added skills to the profession that many other new stylists may not possess.

If it's something that you've always been interested in doing and that you feel you could have a passion for, I say go for it. Come back on CD and let us know if you decide to begin a program and when you'll start. I'd love to hear what your decision was.

All the best!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Ive always wondered what the difference is between those hair stylists out there charging 60 bucks a cut verses the Great clips people working for 5 bucks and a tip.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:06 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I went to hairdressing school when I was much younger, and stayed in the field for a few years until I decided it wasn't for me. Working in the field was much different than what I had imagined it to be. I wish someone had filled me in on the negative aspects of the job as well as the positive. Since you asked for some opinions, here goes:

Physically, it is not easy. You'll spend the day mostly on your feet. Most of the functions you will be performing will be with your arms raised and extended. That creates a lot of strain on your back. If you are sensitive to chemicals or scents of any kind, you will have a problem working in that environment...everything is scented. Inhaling all that stuff day after day can be a problem, as can working with chemicals. In my case, my hands were always a mess from exposure. People can be difficult and may not be able to explain what results they are looking for. In ALL the salons I worked at, cattiness between stylists was common.

I'm not sure what state you live in, but you will be required to learn the anatomy of the head and hands, as well as some common skin and hair diseases. Half of your training will be theory, and the other half practical. (my own experience - check with your own state requirements)

If you are in good physical health, have stamina, patience, good communication skills and a pleasant personality in addition to some creativity you should be ok. It may suit you. Just make sure the school you are considering is up to date on the latest techniques and styles, and continue your education through seminars and trade shows once you are licensed. I can't stress that enough. Unfortunately, the school I attended was run by two older ladies who thought finger waves and pincurls were going to make a comeback and focused a lot of our training hours on those skills. When I got out in the field, I never did a single fingerwave or pincurl!

If you decide to go to school, take advantage of all the walk-ins you can for your practical experience. Best of luck in your future career.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:46 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Good advice and insight into the profession, aquietpath.

Years ago, I worked with a woman who had worked for years as a licensed hairstylist. She had loved the work, but she, too, had struggled with severe skin problems on her hands due to the chemicals. That's what had forced her to leave the industry.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:42 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
OP, also check on:

* pass rates for the licensing exam
* where grads are getting jobs (and talk to some!)

If the school won't provide you with some grads to contact, I would be careful about going there. A good school has an 80% pass rate (or higher) and is proud of its graduates. Watch out for these little "money makers" for the owners where the tuition is sky high and students are encouraged to take out loans, sometimes even with the school!

Unfortunately, scams abound in today's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education