Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nope. Lots of kids of average intellect around here, including a couple of mine, but we model good citizenship, which means that we don't put the prison-bound on a pedestal. And my location isn't a secret. I live in the south suburbs of Denver.
And I'm in the Atlanta metro. The kids who are looked up to here are the ones with the goal to get admitted to GA Tech or UGA, even if they choose to go elsewhere. Sports are big, but so are academics.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-06-2014 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 04:08 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
AFAIC, She violated the dress code. Whether she heard the options or not, my guess is that both she and a parents signed off on obeying the school rules. If you don't like the rules, work to get them changed or follow them. You can't break them and then say they aren't fair.

As for the Principal calling some girls skanks, that was another Principal in Oklahoma. Why that was popped into this story about a school in Florida is just a sensationalist media thing.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I'd be on board with that IF the dress code policy was being fairly enforced, but the student contends, and I'm inclined to believe her, that she was not offered the other two corrective measures outlined in the policy. Instead, she was compelled to don the shame suit, and I'm definitely not on board with that. I understand that others have their doubts about the accuracy of her account, but as I said, I believe her.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:08 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
I do have to say, some of these threads are giving me some great ideas to bring up to my kids school board.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:40 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'd be on board with that IF the dress code policy was being fairly enforced, but the student contends, and I'm inclined to believe her, that she was not offered the other two corrective measures outlined in the policy. Instead, she was compelled to don the shame suit, and I'm definitely not on board with that. I understand that others have their doubts about the accuracy of her account, but as I said, I believe her.

How do you know when teenagers are lying?

Their lips are moving.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
where's Barbara eden when you need her??

harper valley high school?

if im that parent , I would be madder than a hornet,,, id go to the principals office and demand the written policy of communications with students, and you have some very inappropriate emails that you are going to release to the press- I guarantee you the school would back off and formally apologize

and when emails are deemed inappropriate, are you going to make that teacher walk around with a pedophile shirt on???? or does teacher get sent home on administrative leave??

you never ever single out one kid and embarrass them like that.... what are they idiots???

Old 09-06-2014, 07:33 PM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Dress codes are stupid because they are getting more and more overthought all the time.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How do you know when teenagers are lying?

Their lips are moving.
And you're teaching teens? Swell.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

That was my thought as well. It's pretty disturbing isn't it?

Old 09-06-2014, 07:40 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Aren't you the mother who allows her kids to make their own rules for what they do and allows them to be "their own person", up to and including not respecting you or your husband's belongings and prerogatives as adults ? That's swell, too.

Hint for you: When one of your kids says, "What had happened was.............", they're lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education