Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 05:10 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Well, my nephew has done quite well even though he had for the most part no homework in high school. he has carried a 4.0 all through college.
Depends on what you major in and where you go. I started in electrical engineering, switched to math and physics for a more rigorous approach. That was one tough struggle, especially to maintain a GPA to get in grad school, which turned out to be even more difficult than undergraduate..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I never really had homework that was required besides some papers. Everything else was assigned only to enhance discussions, etc in class. I graduated with a 4.0 with three majors. So, I did fine.
You are not the typical student.

There are students who don't need to do homework. No one said there weren't. We're debating what is best for students, period. If all students were like you, my job would be easy.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
I would agree to ban it. We didn't have homework yet left school able to read, write and do math. I would say that whatever they are doing now is not working.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:23 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What's his major? Where's the school? How many hours does he take a semester? How many courses has he signed up for and dropped?

Long, long ago while printing out advising transcripts, I recall seeing one where the person signed up for various courses over the semesters......and dropped a lot of them. On observation alone, it looked like they were concerned in getting a perfect GPA and when it looked like they weren't going to get it that semester, they bailed (I think this was back when the school had a no repeat limit).

So, while it might seem impressive on the face of it......what do the details show?
He is majoring in Information Systems and he goes to Millikin University. He takes between 15 - 18 per semester and has not dropped any classes.

I am not sure why you would think homework has anything to do with how well he would do in college. he probably had more actual course work in high school than most. The school had no lecture what so ever, and every course was self study. This made college quite easy for him, because he knew how to study.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Depends on what you major in and where you go. I started in electrical engineering, switched to math and physics for a more rigorous approach. That was one tough struggle, especially to maintain a GPA to get in grad school, which turned out to be even more difficult than undergraduate..
yet you stated you wondered how students who had very little homework would fair in university. I answered the question. I am sorry if it is not the answer you wanted to hear.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am not in the "ban homework" camp but I am in the "less homework" camp. We simply cannot treat children like they are small adults simply because some day they will be adults. High school students do not have the free time that adult student have to do the same number of hours per week of work.

A typical college student takes 15-18 credits per semester and takes 5-6 classes. If that student spends two hours per credit per class on outside work that adds up to a total of 30-36 hours on top of the 15-18 hours the student spends in class adds to a total of 45-54 hours per week.

A typical high school student at my son's school is at school for 7 hours and is taking 6 classes. If each teacher assigns 50 minutes of homework per class, per day, as someone suggested, that means the student will be doing 25 hours per week of homework on top of the 35 hours they spend at school. That's SIXTY HOURS PER WEEK!

There is no reason to load up 14 year old kids with sixty hours of busywork a week. I say yes to some homework but no to excessive amounts of homework. 50 minutes per day, per class is excessive.

It is amazing to me that the public schools around here load the kids up with tons of summer work for AP classes, yet the private schools give very little summer work for AP classes. Yet-the private schools have much better scores on these exams. The excessive work doesn't seem to help the kids at all.
Where was this suggested?

Old 09-09-2014, 05:37 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
He is majoring in Information Systems and he goes to Millikin University. He takes between 15 - 18 per semester and has not dropped any classes.

I am not sure why you would think homework has anything to do with how well he would do in college. he probably had more actual course work in high school than most. The school had no lecture what so ever, and every course was self study. This made college quite easy for him, because he knew how to study.
Well, the details do explain it. I'm glad it works for him.

Is that way the ideal way? Maybe yes, maybe no, depends on the material, depends on what one does later in life.

One of the things I learned in intelligence, perhaps the shining turning point, was how to take good notes, to be some place and come back with a report so my superiors could know as if they had actually been there. That ability comes from sitting in lecture and taking notes......just as the text book example comes from doing homework.

As I said, depends on what they want you to do in life.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The funny thing is that we're basing this "Finland worship" (and the Japan worship before that) on their scores on the PISA, yet the advocates of no homework say there's too much emphasis on standardized tests!
Believe it or not Japan has things it could teach the US as well even today. One of the things Japan has in common with Finland is the cooperation among their teachers. Teachers in Japan are respected as professionals just as teachers in Finland are. Students are asked to problem solve together and present their solutions in the classroom (in math). Parents are very engaged with their children's learning. The schools are places where principals, teachers, students, and parents agree on the goals, methods and content of schooling. They are united in recognizing the importance of a coherent curriculum, public recognition for students who succeed, promoting a sense of school pride, and protecting school time for learning. The conviction of the Japanese is that any student who tries hard will succeed. They place much less emphasis on ability and much more on hard work. The schools pay attention to the children's character too.

The Japanese use lesson studies to enhance their teaching. This one is interesting, though it would be difficult to implement in the US unless the entire school was on board and there was a common curriculum that could be drawn on. Teachers with a common focus meet and plan lessons together, but it goes much further than that. Research lessons are taught by one teacher and the others observe. Then the teachers are debriefed and look at what went well and what went poorly.

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ960950.pdf

Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,358 times
Quote:
yet you stated you wondered how students who had very little homework would fair in university. I answered the question. I am sorry if it is not the answer you wanted to hear.
But I also included study in the very most difficult degree programs. Not sure that information systems (basically a business degree option isn't it) would fit in that category.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
But I also included study in the very most difficult degree programs. Not sure that information systems (basically a business degree option isn't it) would fit in that category.
No it isn't a business degree, in the aspect of what people think of as a business degree. This is some of the typical courses

IS 221 - Introductory Programming
IS 321 - Systems Analysis and Design
IS 331 - Networking & Telecommunications
IS 370 - Database Application Development
IS 322 - Intermediate Programming
IS 332 - Security Assurance
IS 334 - System Administration
IS 350 - Advanced Programming
IS 375 - Database Administration
IS 470 - Data Mining for Business Intelligence
IS 471 - Information Systems Internship
IS 491 - Seminar in Information Systems

Plus of course is is getting his CCNA CCNP CCIE in cisco
plus various other tech certifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education