Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 PM

11,653 posts, read 12,947,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I would rather rip my wisdom teeth out than send my kid on a 2 hour ride for school. 3-4 hour round trip?
^This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
Honestly, that sucks. Although bus rides with other kids can be fun, it's really not a good situation.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,560 times
It makes more sense now, knowing that you live in another country where customs can be quite different.

I'd move her to the local school without the commute. It sounds as if you and your H still have some decisions to make about whether to move to the US, and I wouldn't want to wait on that unknown.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Then it's a 40 minute ride to school on a bus where children are not allowed to speak, read, or even do their homework.
What kind of INSANE school is this. Can't do homework. With that long a bus ride I could have done most of my homework on the ride when I was in grade school.

I would try to get my kid away from people that crazy. Can't talk to other kids for 40 minutes. Sit there and watch the same scenery day after day.

MADNESS!

psik

Old 09-24-2014, 11:35 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
Let's not forget the commute time for the whole family. The child plus the parent. And all the fuel. Unless there are no closer schools this is just unacceptable. If I thought the public schools were not as good I could easily hire a tutor several times a week and still come out ahead!

Old 09-24-2014, 02:48 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
The only part where I agree wight the school is the no reading because reading while in a car usually causes nausea and/or carsickness.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:15 PM

948 posts, read 920,860 times
I think we will probably take her out of this school. We're hesitating. DH says it's not good to "run away from your problems", but I think sometimes it's best. I'm afraid to tell the teacher that we want to quit the school, as if we have some kind of obligation to the school to keep her there. DH probably feels the same way. I think his mom would be disappointed. I also hate the idea of throwing away all the money we wasted on the non-refundable deposit.

I was thinking of quitting even before the changed buildings, because the school's bilingual program is not what was sold to us. I was worried that the tuition was not worth it. But these nasty commutes to the new building are so horrible, that I think sending her is doing more harm to her than good.

I just have to make sure I'm certain about quitting, because they probably won't let her back in if she does quit. And then we have to decide whether to move her to the public school or home school, or perhaps homeschool for a few months until the beginning of the new school year.

P.S.
Next month teachers from private schools all over the country will be visiting the school to observe the kids in class. School will only be held for a short time on each of those 3 days. 4 hours on day one, 3 hours on day 2, and just 1 hour on day 3. I really don't want my daughter wasting 3 hours a day commuting to sit in class for just 1 hour so that strangers can observe her! I think I'll have her skip school those days, but DH insists that she should never skip school, even if it's just one hour.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:02 AM

11 posts, read 23,239 times
Your DH doesn't want to contribute his due effort in caring for the well-being of your daughter. I'm sorry for being in-your-face and off-topic, but why is he a parent?
He doesn't want to drive to downtown, but it's ok for his 7 yr old daughter to be subjected to the insane commute?
He would prefer to live near to his family in Japan, but being butt hurt about the needs of his own family?
He doesn't want to "run away from a problem"? Sounds noble eh? And yet he's not working with you to alleviate the stress put upon your daughter? With all the indecision, guess who is still enduring the madness primarily?

I am Asian who's moved to the US when I was thirteen; I do see and kinda of know where these idiotic thinking from older Asian American generations come from. But that doesn't change what it is, irresponsibility and idiocy.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
I think we will probably take her out of this school. We're hesitating. DH says it's not good to "run away from your problems", but I think sometimes it's best. I'm afraid to tell the teacher that we want to quit the school, as if we have some kind of obligation to the school to keep her there. DH probably feels the same way. I think his mom would be disappointed. I also hate the idea of throwing away all the money we wasted on the non-refundable deposit.

I was thinking of quitting even before the changed buildings, because the school's bilingual program is not what was sold to us. I was worried that the tuition was not worth it. But these nasty commutes to the new building are so horrible, that I think sending her is doing more harm to her than good.

I just have to make sure I'm certain about quitting, because they probably won't let her back in if she does quit. And then we have to decide whether to move her to the public school or home school, or perhaps homeschool for a few months until the beginning of the new school year.

P.S.
Next month teachers from private schools all over the country will be visiting the school to observe the kids in class. School will only be held for a short time on each of those 3 days. 4 hours on day one, 3 hours on day 2, and just 1 hour on day 3. I really don't want my daughter wasting 3 hours a day commuting to sit in class for just 1 hour so that strangers can observe her! I think I'll have her skip school those days, but DH insists that she should never skip school, even if it's just one hour.

None of those things bolded have anything to do with the best interests of the child. So they are irrelevant to the decision. More to do with ego and pride and other nonsense. The commute is preposterous. How can you live with yourself putting your child through that?

You know what to do.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
It would have to be one heck of a special school for me to do anything even close to that.

If you move back to the US what is the time frame you're looking at? I'm a big fan of not switching schools, but that commute might do me in.

How is her attitude? Is he exhausted and crabby at the end of the day or is she doing ok with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education