Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:12 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
The program we have allows a teacher to override a student's grade. I can change the student's percentage, the student's letter grade (which is what is factored into the GPA), or both. Every year, I will override at least one student's grade under the following conditions:
- The student is within 1% of the grade needed/desired.
- the student has a clean attendance record -- no unexcused absences, no excessive tardies.
- the student has turned in ALL of his/her work.
- the student put forth a quality effort on the final exam.
- the student has exhibited the qualities of a good student -- eg. the student has come in for extra help, the student has gone for tutoring, the student has paid attention in class, the student has behaved in class, etc.

In my AP class, I will change a student's grade if the student is within 3% of the next grade AND gets a "5" on the AP exam. The school will allow me to submit a grade change at the beginning of the next school year.

Every year I get requests/sob stories from students (my favorite: "If I get a 'B' in this class, I won't be able to go to the college I want, and I will not meet my future husband there). If they don't meet all of the criteria above, they won't get consideration. When they ask, "What can I do to make my grade better?" I answer by saying, "First, build a time machine...."
Your criteria pretty much parallel's the way my son approaches the issue. Aptitudes often come into play as he's had students who work their butt off, come in consistently for tutoring, but still struggle. If their final grade is close, he has no internal strife whatsoever in bumping the grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:01 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
When i was a sophomore in high school (this goes back to 1978) I was a mediocre and uninspired student, tho i actually never failed any classes (loads of progress reports tho)

one course in particular i had trouble with was Biology. I would get progress reports, go for some tutoring with the teacher, then do better, then do worse, etc

in those days you needed a 65.0 average(or at least a 64.5) for a passing grade of "C". my average for the year came out to a 64.3 or a 64.4

my mom and the teacher chatted about the idea of my going to summer school to take the class over. i didn't yet have my driver's license and my mom had things to do that summer so she couldn't drive me to summer class

the teacher ended up just passing me with the 64.5 or 65. he knew i had been struggling for the year. i know. i listened to the phone convo between him and my mom!!

my question is if a teacher did that today would they be subject to scrutiny by the school superintendent or department head?

incidentally i turned myself around almost a decade after and by '87 i was studying to be a social worker, and i still am today
since when was 65 a C...

no friend 65 = D
55= F
75 = C
85= B
95 = A

Old 09-28-2014, 08:29 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
since when was 65 a C...

no friend 65 = D
55= F
75 = C
85= B
95 = A
There are other scales that are far more common:

A = 90 - 100
B = 80 - 89
C = 70 - 79
D = 60 - 69
F = 59 and below

Or

A = 92 - 100
B = 83 - 91
C = 74 - 82
D = 65 - 73
F = 64 and below

I have also seen a few others. It is possible that at the institution this person was at 65 was a C.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:41 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
In our district, 70 is passing. Therefore 70-74 is a D, 75-79 C, 80-89 B, 90-100 A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education