Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:22 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiMT View Post
You guys ragging on OP's grammar are hypocrites, because his ideas are of value, and you criticize the packaging. But once again, we go back to the fact that this is mostly what we learn to value in school: Not a beautiful idea, but agreement with a (mostly arbitrary) set of (someone else's) rules. Again, a simple Einstein quote about the rational and intuitive mind will suffice.
I have to say with all the venom and bullying the OP has received in the responses, is this still high school? Maybe high school is a waste of time if the majority of adults don't learn about respecting other point of views from people.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:21 PM

425 posts, read 431,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I have to say with all the venom and bullying the OP has received in the responses, is this still high school? Maybe high school is a waste of time if the majority of adults don't learn about respecting other point of views from people.
Funny, another thing we don't learn in high school.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:47 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Actually I've read many posts on the internet, some of them on these forums, which stated belief in YEC (Young Earth Creationism) - about 6000 to 10,000 years ago, and yes that humans co-existed with dinosaurs before the Flood. It's hard to believe, but it's not a strawman - MANY fundamentalists take the 6 days of creation and the genealogies very seriously and literally. However of course fundamentalism is not common outside of this country.

Go float a thread in the Christianity forum if you don't believe me.

I think that's part of why atheists are getting to be a bit militant, they worry about that stuff being taught to innocent kids in school, thus lowering our educational standards even further in an ever more competitive world.

ETA: oh, here's a thread from there: //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...orld-only.html

Last edited by Woof; 10-31-2014 at 02:37 AM..

Old 10-31-2014, 01:54 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
OP- it may seem useless now and some may be, but you do need school and you do need a diploma.

The other choices are: homeschool or drop out. Id pick school of some sort!

Old 10-31-2014, 03:04 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtotheworld View Post
No one believes those things. Those are strawmen invented by atheists to marginalize believers.

If you knew a single thing about critical thinking, you would know what constitutes a logical fallacy, and wouldn't have made an entire post which is one.

I do like your analysis of what high school is supposed to provide a student, but you would do well to keep the atheistic nonsense to yourself.
Sadly, there really ARE grown adults who DO believe in a very young earth (6,000 to 20,000 years old), that Adam and Eve were real people, and that dinosaurs existed at the same time as humans.

It's not a strawman by atheists. It's a claim by Young Earth Creationists.

"The earth is only a few thousand years old. That’s a fact, plainly revealed in God’s Word. So we should expect to find plenty of evidence for its youth. And that’s what we find—in the earth’s geology, biology, paleontology, and even astronomy."

https://answersingenesis.org/evidenc...a-young-earth/

"Contrary to popular evolutionary opinion, the magnificent dinosaurs, created on the same day as Adam and Eve, recently lived and walked with humans."

https://answersingenesis.org/dinosaurs/humans/

Crazy huh?

Last edited by Ceist; 10-31-2014 at 03:13 AM..

Old 10-31-2014, 06:38 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtotheworld View Post
No one believes those things. Those are strawmen invented by atheists to marginalize believers.

If you knew a single thing about critical thinking, you would know what constitutes a logical fallacy, and wouldn't have made an entire post which is one.

I do like your analysis of what high school is supposed to provide a student, but you would do well to keep the atheistic nonsense to yourself.
Umm...No it's not, Young Earth Creationism is a real movement with an unfortunately not insignificant number of adherents.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAversion View Post
Thank you for reading this thread, I'm going to go ahead and junp right in

I'm in highschool right now, so I go through these things day to day, and I know how it is, so let me just say that before I go on my rant.

First off. The things that you "learn" in highschool will never and I mean NEVER be something you will need later on in life. Unless we are talking about something along the lines of woodshop where you learn how to fix household items and things like that. But the math, the science, the reading classes, and the languages, etc are a complete waste of your time. Let me say this though so you don't think I hate school all together. I think some of what you learn in kindergarden to atleast 7th to 8th grade is usefu, (ABC's, 2+2=4) the BASIC knowledge that you will indeed need to know in your life in order to go anywhere, yes, i think that is a must. But the way I feel about highschool... I'm honestly sad to say this myself, in the 3 years I have been in highschool I cannot name a single USEFUL thing that they try to force upon students. Highschool seems to me like just something for kids 14 to 18 years old to do. Like they want to just keep us busy for those 4 years. What I'm about to talk about are my experiences, so my details are just what I have gone through since I started highschool

ENGLISH: Well first off, since 9th grade (3 years ago) We have done just a touch of your basic grammer (things you learned in 5th or 6th grade) and the rest has either been stories that were written so long ago that the teacher has to stop reading between sentences to explain to the class what the hell the character in the story is talking about, or Greek Mythology.... Now I'm no expert on English and grammer, but I am not seeing how Greek Mythology aka things that never happend relates to spelling, writing, etc. How as a teacher are you going to fail me because on a test I dont remember what greek god had what powers? How does that knowledge help me in any way shape or form? It doesn't. And every single year since 9th grade we have read Romeo and Juliet... for 3 years straight I have had to read that god awful story, where they speak in riddles. The point I'm trying to get across here is that English class in highschool really isn't what it is supposed to be i my opinion.

MATH: I'm going to keep this short and simple. I have never opened a check book and saw (4x+2x= 53x) or anything like that. If you can Add, Subtract, Multiply, and Divide... I think that is all you need to make it in the real world as far as math (depending on your future plans) which doesn't matter in school because you are forced to learn and be tested on it anyway. A normal person doesnt need to know the circumfrence of a trapazoid.

OTHER THOUGHTS: Who do you know who speaks a foreign language and is GOOD AT IT because of highschool? I'm going to guess none, because they don't teach you to speak the language, they teach you sentences and such, which is difficult (the way they teach it) and its just plain useless, again depending on your future plans.

School rules are also stupid, you are forced to go to school, just to be slapped in the face with rules like: wearing an ID, uniform, no facial hair, no talking, no phone, no eating (while your teacher eats a bag of chips and drinks a diet coke), hair length, hair color, etc. Just ridiculous rules that no kid should have to deal with.

I could go on all day about the things wrong with the educational system now adays, but I will end it at that. Feel free to comment your opinions, and Thank You for reading.

<sniff>

Anyone else smell troll?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:41 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
<sniff>

Anyone else smell troll?
Brand new poster... makes only one post (the opening post in this thread) then disappears... 17 pages of heated discussion all ignited by that single OP... yeah, I'd say this was a classic and highly successful troll. I'm just laughing my head off that so many people are still biting on it.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:44 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,363 times
Neither high school nor college are a waste of time.

People complain about the growing gap between the wealthy and the poor yet the poor refuse to take responsibility, get an education, network and hold internships.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:27 PM

425 posts, read 431,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Neither high school nor college are a waste of time.

People complain about the growing gap between the wealthy and the poor yet the poor refuse to take responsibility, get an education, network and hold internships.
So we can safely assume you are college educated then.
Now look at you creating the false dichotomy of either school is or isn't a waste of time, rather than a set of complex issues that can be examined and improved.
Then you blame the socioeconomic gap on laziness.

What is education for again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education