Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I agree with you. Critical thinking I feel is very important. I still do not feel that unless your a math major that college algebra should be a pre-rec, however basic skills math should be
College algebra is basic math.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:19 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,479 times
I'm with you on the math, OP. But it's true you'll get nailed in college with math, even if you take a non-STEM major. So you need to get the concepts down now.

If your school isn't teaching you advanced grammar and composition skills, that's their bad. You'll need to know that stuff so you can get a good score on the essay portion of the SAT, if you plan to go to college. If they're not teaching you that, try demanding it. Ask for a meeting with the principal, and ask why you're not learning advanced grammar and composition, not to mention--how to organize and write a term paper. (Should have begun learning this in middle school.)

Some people do learn to speak a foreign language decently in HS. But usually only in the AP classes.

References to Greek mythology come up in adult life more than you'd think. In newspaper articles, in articles on psychology, all over the place.

Sounds like you're in a crappy school, if it recycles Romeo and Juliet year after year. What about A Midsummer Night's Dream? To say nothing of Shakespeare's other works.

HS biology is useful. It helps to know how genetics works, for example. Dominant and recessive genes, and all that. So you can figure out what's going on in your family, and what chances your future kids might have of inheriting this or that trait. Biology is basic. Especially if the teacher relates it to environmentalism. Biology can be very cool.

Look for interesting electives, if the school has any good ones. Politics. Pre-law. Music. And the core courses should get better, too: World Geography. If you have a choice for History classes, take African history. Eye-opening.

Oh, and btw, learning a foreign language helps you see that there are different ways of perceiving the world, and organizing reality. It also helps give your brain more flexibility. Especially if foreign lang. instruction starts in grade school.

Last edited by NewbiePoster; 10-23-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 02:32 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,480 times
Bottom line: someone who can't master high-school math is too dumb to be going to college.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
College algebra is basic math.
Yes im aware of that lol I am talking about everyday math, balancing a checkbook, etc

Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Bottom line: someone who can't master high-school math is too dumb to be going to college.
That depends. My son had a very hard time in HS with math but he is a sophomore in college with a 3.2 right now as the semester is not over yet. My son is a much better student now than he was in HS. I Think it also depends on the student and how bad they want to do well.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:14 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
OP

Graduate from high school and then go try and find work. If you're lucky you'll land a job, but probably not a great paying one. And it will almost certainly be the type of work that makes you understand why kids put up with high school and go to college.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:12 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAversion View Post

ENGLISH: Well first off, since 9th grade (3 years ago) We have done just a touch of your basic grammer (things you learned in 5th or 6th grade) and the rest has either been stories that were written so long ago that the teacher has to stop reading between sentences to explain to the class what the hell the character in the story is talking about, or Greek Mythology.... Now I'm no expert on English and grammer, but I am not seeing how Greek Mythology aka things that never happend relates to spelling, writing, etc. How as a teacher are you going to fail me because on a test I dont remember what greek god had what powers? How does that knowledge help me in any way shape or form? It doesn't. And every single year since 9th grade we have read Romeo and Juliet... for 3 years straight I have had to read that god awful story, where they speak in riddles. The point I'm trying to get across here is that English class in highschool really isn't what it is supposed to be i my opinion.

:::shaking head::::

So much incorrect... and that is just one (overly long) paragraph!

"Now I'm no expert on English and grammer,"
Yeah, we know.

And what exactly will you be doing with your life when you leave this "waste of time"?

Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
OP, many would actually be of the mind that you probably need more rather than less education at this point.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:32 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
I'm afraid that the OP, ironically, makes an argument for more schooling.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
I agree with you for the most part. Some of the things one learns in HS are useful, but the institution is a waste of time.

It should not take a whole year to teach Algebra 1, when College Calculus (I,II,III) classes are a semester.

Boring dusty old "Literature" books kill the love of reading in students. High School English is Bullcrap for the most part. Most students' GREAT-GRANDPARENTS read the majority of the same books back in the 1900s.

High School is really about learning conformity rather than Math, Science, English, etc. Follow the rules, don't talk back, ask permission to use the bathroom, etc.

It really doesn't do a good job of preparing students for college. In HS, if you don't do your homework, the teacher yells at you, calls your parents and you get a 0. In college if you don't do your homework, the professor doesn't care and you do poorly on the test and fail the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.