Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 09:46 PM

305 posts, read 282,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I go to family reunions to spend time with my family because they are family. The people I went to school with who I have not kept in my life are not in my life for a reason. So are some of my family members but they're family and you don't get to choose your family. You DO get to choose your friends. The people from high school that I'm not in contact with didn't make the list then and I see no reason they'd make it now (I also didn't make their list so this is mutual). I see no point in going. There is nothing about high school I care to relive and anyone I care about from high school is still in my life.

So if someone physically threatened you in your family, you'd still go see them just because they are family?

And how can you know they wouldn't make it now? You don't even know what they're like now!

You probably hated them in high school because they judged you and now you're doing the same thing to them!

Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
I was too poor, shy and in debt in my early-mid 20s to enjoy anything, and high school was absolutely unbearable. The absolute worst years of my life were pretty much puberty and high school. If I saw most of my classmates in the street I would pretend I didn't know them.

My best years started in my late 20s and since then there have only been a few off notes in a pretty winning streak.

If I could only quit this forum, things would get even better.

Why were they the "absolute worst" years for?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I couldn't hop on a plane and fly to NYC for the weekend, just because. I had homework to do, and had parents that actually cared for me. In other words, I could NOT just do anything I wanted...probably a good thing at age 15, but adult life is still better.

I'm sure there was a friend at school that might be wealthier than you that you could have went with, if you had a nice disposition.

Even if you couldn't, I hate when people make asinine hypotheticals to try to prove you can't do "anything" you wanted. You darn well know you could have done 98% of what you wanted back then.

A lot of people can't hop on a plane just because they want to as adults, so that is a terrible example.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
No way. I've only been out of high school a little over 5 years now, but high school was not the best time of my life. I was out of shape, didn't play any sports, was insecure, never had lasting relationships with girls, and incredibly shy. There were also the popular athletic douchebags that used to be jerks to me for no reason at all. I wish I would have stood up for myself back then and punched them in the face.

5 years later and I have lost weight, bulked up, and transferred from community college into a university where I am now. I look on Facebook and many of the popular boys and girls are now married and/or have kids and many of them never bothered with college or trade school. They just work crappy jobs. I don't see them going very far in life. These are the types that stall out and for them high school really was the best years of their life. The popular kids that had rich parents and got good grades are successful because they come from a wealthy family where they never really had to work for popularity in high school and have had success handed to them. All they had to worry about was getting good grades in school. I hate running into people from high school because I feel like they still think of me as that awkward insecure teenager I was not too long ago.

If you were out of shape and punched them in the face, I don't think that would have ended well for you, so that was probably for the best.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:43 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,152 times
God, absolutely not!

It wasn't horrible, but I've been enjoying college and adulthood far more.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
I don't know if it was the best time of my life... but it was certainly one of the best. It defined life-long friends that helped me enjoy life for many years.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:41 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
So if someone physically threatened you in your family, you'd still go see them just because they are family?

And how can you know they wouldn't make it now? You don't even know what they're like now!

You probably hated them in high school because they judged you and now you're doing the same thing to them!
Please link to the post where I said that I would meet up with a family member who threatened me.

I don't care what the people I went to school with are like now. I know what they were like then and have no desire to meet them again. I cut family more slack but I owe them anything. Why should I waste my time on them? On the chance that they turned out decent? Why? We don't matter to each other. I'd rather spend the evening with people who do matter to me.

If I'm judging them they don't know it so no harm no foul. And as you pointed out, I don't know them so how can I judge them? I don't care how their lives turned out and I'm sure they don't care how mine turned out. I'd rather spend the money and time I'd spend on attending a reunion doing things I like with people I like.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
I was too poor, shy and in debt in my early-mid 20s to enjoy anything, and high school was absolutely unbearable. The absolute worst years of my life were pretty much puberty and high school. If I saw most of my classmates in the street I would pretend I didn't know them.

My best years started in my late 20s and since then there have only been a few off notes in a pretty winning streak.

If I could only quit this forum, things would get even better.
Yeah, this place is a lot like high school. Bullies and clicks and mean girls. It has everything except acne.

We don't have to take people seriously here as we don't know how much of what they post is real and how much made up. That part of high school is on steroids here. In high school if you invented a persona you'd likely be found out. I think that's one of the things that attracts me to this place. I can just put people on ignore or log off. They can't touch me in real life. But this place reminds me of how cruel people really are. It's good not to forget that.

Fortunately, this is just a diversion not real life. High school was real life....and it sucked to be in a place like this forum you couldn't just log off of.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-09-2014 at 05:07 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
Why were they the "absolute worst" years for?
Not the OP but if you're not in the popular crowd, pretty or good at something, high school is pretty cruel. I would say high school was the three most miserable years of my life. I'd rather relive my mother's death than high school. At least I had supportive people around me when mom died. The only thing that surprises me about high school is that I managed to get through it without using drugs. I'm sure it would have helped to have been too stoned to care.

High school is a pretty miserable experience for many people because teenagers are cruel. I've been teaching for 7 years and in that time I've seen too many suicides, suicide interventions and kids shipped off to rehab because they can't cope without drugs to count. Only one suicide at my school but several at a friend's school. High school is something that some don't survive. THAT's how bad it is and it's bad because of the clicks, the bullies and the mean girls. High school sucked then and it sucks now. I don't envy my students. I just hope I can help them survive until better days.

What made high school the most miserable days of my life is that I was forced to be in the presence of people who obviously hated me. I wasn't strong, or talented or smart or pretty. I didn't fit in so I was a target. I hung out with kids like me who were also targets. Too many people in high school get off on tormenting others. It makes them feel superior. I can only hope they met up with a bigger bully later in life than they were in high school. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that one.

Things I remember about high school: Hiding during lunch time so certain people couldn't find me because there were too few teachers around to stop the bullying. Not drinking anything from the time I got up until I got home from school so I wouldn't have to pee. If you were in my group, you took your life into your hands if you went into the bathrooms. Again, no teachers to see what was going on. Staying on the bus one or two stops past where I should get off or never getting on the bus because it wasn't safe for me and walking miles home as a result. If you're not pretty or smart or talented, you're treated like dirt in high school. Yes, absolute worst years of my life and I have no desire to ever see any of the people I haven't kept in contact with again. There is one person I'd love to see again but she dropped out so she wouldn't be at the reunions. We had a falling out and I'd like a chance to explain but I doubt I'll ever see her again.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-09-2014 at 05:09 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 05:02 AM

128 posts, read 207,659 times
No, the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education