Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:05 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I support the educational world via my taxes even though I do not have children in the system. So every year I pay money for your children. Thus I am a customer of the system, a paying customer. I expect the system to prepare your children to be competitive in the business world. I expect this on a global scale as I know your children will compete with not only the other local kids in your area for jobs but also they will compete with the mass of green card holders and immigrants that are so interested in your children's future jobs.

I hold two degrees from a major university so I am aware of the education system, both grade and higher. In view of the tasks that your children will face I encourage you to double the homework and to add additional tasks to the basic homework program. Whatever you can do to increase their mind and talents. Search for sources to present the homework in different ways and approaches.

Yea, it is a lot of work.

Right. And I'm the Queen of England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 11:09 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong. The first hour is sorting through all the papers, unwrinkling everything stuffed in his backpack, trying to read the teacher's instructions, grilling my 6-year-old on what the teacher said we were supposed to do 10 HOURS EARLIER THAT DAY, and me trying to figure out the assignment. I could easily spend another hour on the internet trying to understand the subject because in kindergarten, anatomy is apparently now part of the standard curriculum, and my geology skills are a little rusty.
Im sorry but this says more about the student then the teacher. When my 2nd grader is in this predicament its because she is unorganized and careless. Not the teacher. If anything it sounds like this child needs more consistent structure and accountability. Where I live the teacher sends a packet which has one page saying whats due each day and worksheets that go along with ita. The letterland assignments follow a daily routine,same every week. There is a math worksheet,and reading journal thats daily. My child is an average student and it usually takes around 30 min with my help. However, sometimes this same chuld will take over an hour . Frusterating because its usually her attitude not aptitude. The next day maybe its only 20 min and she does by herself. Drives me crazy.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:48 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Sorry, but you're wrong. The first hour is sorting through all the papers, unwrinkling everything stuffed in his backpack, trying to read the teacher's instructions, grilling my 6-year-old on what the teacher said we were supposed to do 10 HOURS EARLIER THAT DAY, and me trying to figure out the assignment. I could easily spend another hour on the internet trying to understand the subject because in kindergarten, anatomy is apparently now part of the standard curriculum, and my geology skills are a little rusty.
It sounds like your son could benefit from a way to organize what he brings home.

Does he have different colored folders? In our school, each subject has a different color folder. So Math might be blue and English might be purple. If, instead of just stuffing things in his backpack at random, he could learn to put each paper (without wrinkling) into the appropriate folder, you would have less time at home organizing.

I seriously don't see how anatomy and geology are separate in kindergarten unless he is reading something and answering questions. If you mean anatomy as in parts of his own body, then that should not be difficult either. Perhaps you can post an example of this homework and someone here can help?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It sounds like your son could benefit from a way to organize what he brings home.

Does he have different colored folders? In our school, each subject has a different color folder. So Math might be blue and English might be purple. If, instead of just stuffing things in his backpack at random, he could learn to put each paper (without wrinkling) into the appropriate folder, you would have less time at home organizing.

I seriously don't see how anatomy and geology are separate in kindergarten unless he is reading something and answering questions. If you mean anatomy as in parts of his own body, then that should not be difficult either. Perhaps you can post an example of this homework and someone here can help?
My son is in college now and doing fine.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:21 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Im sorry but this says more about the student then the teacher. When my 2nd grader is in this predicament its because she is unorganized and careless. Not the teacher. If anything it sounds like this child needs more consistent structure and accountability.
Lori, if you need to spend an hour finding and straightening out random papers stuffed in your 6 year olds school bag then he probably has an organizational problem.

If you need to spend an hour on the internet trying to understand an assignment given to a 6 year old (probably to do independently) then you may have some type of problem.

Our children attended a language immersion school in our Midwestern city. Since most of the homework assignments were for the students to do independently, obviously the instructions were written for them to read, thus written in French. My husband and I could not read French, neither did the majority of the other parents, however I do not recall ever having problems with the homework given to our children. I also do not recall other parents complaining about not understanding the homework.

BTW, I used to occasionally babysit a child who attended the German Immersion School in our city. I needed to supervise his homework on several occasions when he was in Kindergarten and 1st grade. Yes, the directions were written in German and No, I can not read German, but I was easily able to figure out what he needed to do.

It just seems so unusual that so many posters are saying that they can't understand what their children need to do for elementary school homework, with directions written in English and input from their child. Could it be because of the switch to Common Core in some school districts? Or, what?

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-16-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Lori, if you need to spend an hour finding and straightening out random papers stuffed in your 6 year olds school bag then he probably has an organizational problem.

If you need to spend an hour on the internet trying to understand an assignment given to a 6 year old (probably to do independently) then you may have some type of problem.

Our children attended a language immersion school in our Midwestern city. Since most of the homework assignments were for the students to do independently, obviously the instructions were written for them to read, thus written in French. My husband and I could not read French, neither did the majority of the other parents, however I do not recall ever having problems with the homework given to our children. I also do not recall other parents complaining about not understanding the homework.

BTW, I used to occasionally babysit a child who attended the German Immersion School in our city. I needed to supervise his homework on several occasions when he was in Kindergarten and 1st grade. Yes, the directions were written in German and No, I can not read German, but I was easily able to figure out what he needed to do.

It just seems so unusual that so many posters are saying that they can't understand what their children need to do for elementary school homework, with directions written in English. Could it be because of the switch to Common Core in some school districts? Or, what?
Like I said, my son is in college and is doing fine. I was talking about 12 years ago when he was 6. Also keep open the possibility that all teachers are not equal. My son's kindergarten teacher was an idiot. I hear she's taking classes to become a real estate agent now.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Like I said, my son is in college and is doing fine. I was talking about 12 years ago when he was 6. Also keep open the possibility that all teachers are not equal. My son's kindergarten teacher was an idiot. I hear she's taking classes to become a real estate agent now.
Thanks for the additional information.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
My son is in college now and doing fine.
I was thinking you were the OP who was complaining about the amount of homework with a child in elementary school.

Still sounds like your son could have used organization skills at that age even if he is older and doing quite well now.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
What homework did he have then that was something you could not understand though.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
What homework did he have then that was something you could not understand though.
Instruction sheets that heavily relied on the child reiterating what they discussed at school that morning. If you weren't there, you had little clue as to what was expected for the assignment. Things like, "Diagram the parts of the brain using the symbols we discussed in class." (What symbols? Kid doesn't know. That was 10 hours ago and being a 6-year-old, that might as well have been last century).

If it was, "Gather 5 fall leaves and bring to class tomorrow morning," I think I would have been smart enough to figure that out. But really, I'm done with school so I'm not looking for advice, nor am I looking for an assessment of my child. I only chimed in to let the OP know he/she wasn't alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education