Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much should teachers earn?
$70,000 + /year 41 30.15%
$60,000-$70,000 38 27.94%
$50,000-$60,000 35 25.74%
$40,000-$50,000 10 7.35%
$30,000-$40,000/year 6 4.41%
Less than $30,000/year 6 4.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:29 PM

527 posts, read 708,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Contract time ALONE is 8.5 hours. Add in the mandatory meetings and trainings that extend beyond that. Add in the prep and data analysis time that is expected. Add in the before and after school tutoring (OUTSIDE contract hours, no additional pay). During the school day, you are ON every minute, especially in elementary. Add in the parents who want to be called in the evenings.

The health is a paid health plan, just like many other jobs. I am on dh's plan as HIS is much cheaper. The pension is IN LIEU of Social Security, so it's a wash. And, oh yeah, we pay a HIGHER % into it than we would with SS!
Doesn't matter. Teacher's getting off 15 weeks a year is enough telling us that they receive plenty of benefits along with decent/high pay salary compared to other jobs where you may make similar amount of money but has to work 40 - 50 hours a week with 2-4 weeks of vacation only (if lucky, no statutory law for that).

School day ends the latest at 3 or 3.30 pm... Other jobs ends hours later.

Teaching is the best career out there, no matter what people complain. I wish teacher's worked at corporate level jobs and they would see the big difference. If you are teacher you are the luckiest person out there, believe it or not. You should appreciate it! There are millions of out there who wish they had your job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 07:31 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Seniority shouldn't affect pay. Teacher is a job. It should pay a certain amount. COLA raises yearly. School boards and administration should back the teachers more than they do now, which usually isn't much.

I never agreed that a raise should be given if they get a masters. In most occupations you have to take on a position of added responsibility to get a raise, not get a masters and continue to teach 2nd grade. Move to guidance, curriculum, or asst. principal for the increase in pay.

I do think some inner city teachers should get hazardous duty pay.

One off topic comment about schools. Quit calling janitors custodians. A custodian is a skilled position. They do not pick up a broom.
My wife works at an inner city school and she says the kids are much better behaved than suburban kids.

Not to mention most school shootings take place in the yuppie schools.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:38 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Doesn't matter. Teacher's getting off 15 weeks a year is enough telling us that they receive plenty of benefits along with decent/high pay salary compared to other jobs where you may make similar amount of money but has to work 40 - 50 hours a week with 2-4 weeks of vacation only (if lucky, no statutory law for that).

Teaching is the best career out there, no matter what people complain. I wish teacher's worked at corporate level jobs and they would see the big difference. If you are teacher you are the luckiest person out there, believe it or not. You should appreciate it! There are millions of out there who wish they had your job!
You clearly have no idea what it takes to be a teacher. You really think the day ends at 3?
Please take a drug test immediately.

Who do you think does lesson plans? Who do you think grades everything? Who do you think is answering dozens of emails daily from needy parents wanting constant check-ins? Conferences, meetings, training, tutoring...

Also, teachers generally stay about a week after school ends in the summer and start about a week early before the kids come back.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:

How many times must we correct this?
Teachers for the most part do NOT get off 15 weeks. Teachers report a week before the students do (or more in some districts) and the summer break in our district is from the second week in June to the third week in August (so 10 weeks). Winter Break is 1 week and Spring Break is 1 week so the total is 12 weeks not 15 weeks.

There are many days when students are off where teachers have to work during the school year as well, so they don't get all these days off to add up to much more.

Note that when I worked in industry after the first 5 years, I had 6 weeks of paid vacation that I could take any time during the year. My husband had 10 weeks of paid vacation a year and he could carry over several weeks, so he didn't have to take it all in a single year. We also got comp time if we worked overtime on a project. Teachers never get comp time for the extra hours of grading or tutoring or parent meetings that they do during the year.

While the student school day may end at 3:30, the teacher workday is longer. They usually must be in school at least 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after the students leave. Sometimes this becomes longer because of staff meetings.

I have worked in corporate. Teaching is much harder and more stressful, not that I didn't love it, but seriously, you are on all the time. You are managing the behavior of 30 children in elementary or 150 in high school (not all at once, but you get the idea). It is NOT easy. If you really think it is, I invite you to try it. If you have a bachelor's degree, you can probably substitute with only a little more training.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:05 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,334 times
Quote:
7 hour work day is the normal as well. ..
You can't be serious. Almost every teacher I know works 10-14 hours per day M-F, plus at least 5-10 hours each weekend. Where, oh where, is this seven-hour "normal" day?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:09 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:

Well, by all means, let's get you signed up for that gravy train. Seriously, if you need to know the steps for you to get certified in your state DM me, I will be happy to help provide you the information. What are you waiting for?!?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:15 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
The great teachers like I had in my prep school: $150,000

Most of the rest of them: nothing. Replace 'em with great ones. With a $150K paycheck, you can hire them away from engineering, scientific, business, government, and nonprofit organization jobs.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Seniority shouldn't affect pay. Teacher is a job. It should pay a certain amount. COLA raises yearly....
GRRR. It's a profession. Great cardiologists make a large multiple of what average cardiologists make. Why shouldn't teachers' pay be based on effectiveness too? It is in every other field.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
You clearly have no idea what it takes to be a teacher. You really think the day ends at 3?
Please take a drug test immediately.

Who do you think does lesson plans? Who do you think grades everything? Who do you think is answering dozens of emails daily from needy parents wanting constant check-ins? Conferences, meetings, training, tutoring...

Also, teachers generally stay about a week after school ends in the summer and start about a week early before the kids come back.
You think there is no more demand and work being that at other corporate level jobs?! Having bosses around, competition, answering tons of phone calls and e-mails, etc. etc. is much more hours and work than teaching.

When I worked my hours were 8 to 5 pm with only 3 weeks of vacation at most. No tenure, no security and God forbid you call out sick.

Grading students and creating lesson plan is fun and not that hard once you know how to teach. You also most likely have a prep time to do that.

Any job that offers guaranteed plenty of time off from work = paradise.

So sad we have teacher's complaining about their jobs when there are millions out there dying to get a positition.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
You can't be serious. Almost every teacher I know works 10-14 hours per day M-F, plus at least 5-10 hours each weekend. Where, oh where, is this seven-hour "normal" day?
Very few do, and if that was truly the case you should be excited for your long summer break, Christmas and Easter break, numerous "sick days", pension, and tenure after few year's of teaching. You are home by 4 the latest most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education