Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much should teachers earn?
$70,000 + /year 41 30.15%
$60,000-$70,000 38 27.94%
$50,000-$60,000 35 25.74%
$40,000-$50,000 10 7.35%
$30,000-$40,000/year 6 4.41%
Less than $30,000/year 6 4.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times

Advertisements

Simple question. How much should teachers be paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:06 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
IMO, they deserve to make about that.

High School Teachers : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

50-60K for an experienced teacher.

It's actually quite a decent salary considering they have the summer off too.

I hear all of these arguments that teachers are underpaid because they put in extra hours and have a masters degree education. Yea, I do too and I make a similar amount, for a whole years worth of work. So, when the union, or whomever, make those graphics/videos, how are they supposed to garner any sympathy when we (other college educated professionals) make the same amount?

The bigger problem is there is a wide, WIDE divide between what teachers get paid depending on geographic location and luck. As in, you need to be lucky to snag a job in a good state and wealthy district. So, really teachers should be duking it out with each other.

Last edited by jobaba; 11-16-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 08:35 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
IMO, they deserve to make about that.

High School Teachers : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

50-60K for an experienced teacher.

It's actually quite a decent salary considering they have the summer off too.

I hear all of these arguments that teachers are underpaid because they put in extra hours and have a masters degree education. Yea, I do too and I make a similar amount, for a whole years worth of work. So, when the union, or whomever, make those graphics/videos, how are they supposed to garner any sympathy when we (other college educated professionals) make the same amount?

The bigger problem is there is a wide, WIDE divide between what teachers get paid depending on geographic location and luck. As in, you need to be lucky to snag a job in a good state and wealthy district. So, really teachers should be duking it out with each other.
I did find a job in a wealthy district but that doesn't stop them from crying poor. I've had one step increase in 5 years and they gave us a pay cut this year. If this keeps up, I will never make what I made the day I started in this district again. Yes there are highly paid teachers in my district but they've been there 20+ years. It's annoying to be told how much we are valued by the district and then they won't even give us the step increases they say are normal. So don't assume wealthy district means high pay. At the rate of one step every 5 years it will take 65 years for a teacher to reach top pay.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I did find a job in a wealthy district but that doesn't stop them from crying poor. I've had one step increase in 5 years and they gave us a pay cut this year. If this keeps up, I will never make what I made the day I started in this district again. Yes there are highly paid teachers in my district but they've been there 20+ years. It's annoying to be told how much we are valued by the district and then they won't even give us the step increases they say are normal. So don't assume wealthy district means high pay. At the rate of one step every 5 years it will take 65 years for a teacher to reach top pay.
I've been through this before with the denizens of this good forum.

Teachers in well paying (not necessarily wealthy) districts in NJ can easily make 80K or above for ~8 years of experience. With just a bachelors.

And one of them was my friend's brother, so I can corroborate that salary.

IMO, that is a phenomenal salary for a teacher. And I am aware that some teachers make much, much less. So, as I said, the teachers should be duking it out with each other and not trying to convince the public at large, who makes no more salary in most cases for a full years work, that they are underpaid.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
While it is a simple question, there is no simple answer.

Teachers should not be the highest paid members of society, IMHO.
So in lower cost of living areas, they should make less than their counterparts in more expensive areas.
Teachers who teach more specialized classes should make more than the teachers that don't.
etc. etc.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:13 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
It's hard to vote here. I don't know exactly how to fix the the teacher pay issue, but I dislike the egalitarian nature of it. I worked at a school that placed little demands on the PE teachers compared to the math and science teachers. I don't think they should get paid the same as math teachers until they are evaluated based on the sports ability of their students.

I think I should be paid at least $40 per hour for each hour worked. If I only work 10 hours a day 186 days a year, that would be $74,400. I actually work more than that, and I'm not even asking for time and a half, which cops and firemen get. The way it works now, I get paid $25 per hour worked, or less, for each hour worked, and I have eight years of post secondary education and 15 years experience.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:14 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Seniority shouldn't affect pay. Teacher is a job. It should pay a certain amount. COLA raises yearly. School boards and administration should back the teachers more than they do now, which usually isn't much.

I never agreed that a raise should be given if they get a masters. In most occupations you have to take on a position of added responsibility to get a raise, not get a masters and continue to teach 2nd grade. Move to guidance, curriculum, or asst. principal for the increase in pay.

I do think some inner city teachers should get hazardous duty pay.

One off topic comment about schools. Quit calling janitors custodians. A custodian is a skilled position. They do not pick up a broom.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:25 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
Depends on the type of teacher. An experienced grade school teacher in an area with an average cost of living should make about 50k. Something like a HS math or science teacher with a masters in the subject they actually teach should make about 70k, but these teachers should be held responsible for their students performance. I'm not saying their students should have to compete with students from better parts of town. but they should at last be competing with other students in the same school, and their performance on standardized tests should directly effect their teachers pay.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:27 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
I can't answer the poll since it will vary so much due to the cost of living in an area. Are we talking about San Francisco? The DC area? Cleveland or KC?

On our Northern Virginia board, people post questions asking if they can "survive" or "make it" on a particular salary. Recently, a salary of $52,000 was seen as being near "poverty wages" by one and posters will typically say that someone making that amount will have a tight budget and need a roommate. Our teachers, with a BA, start just below $47k. Not so great by DC Metro standards.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

Recently, a salary of $52,000 was seen as being near "poverty wages" by one and posters will typically say that someone making that amount will have a tight budget and need a roommate.
And you believe that?

As a schoolteacher?

When you are so close to the ills of Washington, DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education