Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:30 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Maybe it is an option, but how do I find out about potential employers in the area for things like that? What kind of editing should I do? What kinds of skills do I need to possess? How flexible do I need to be? Will it pay well enough to help me stay ahead of my student loan debt?
You have professional career guidance people at your college, why are you not going to them with these questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 06:50 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You have professional career guidance people at your college, why are you not going to them with these questions?
They don't seem to know the answers.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:41 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,824 times
My professional opinion, as an ESL instructor, is that it is the least appropriate subject choice for someone who struggles with social communication. Sorry.

As a parent of a severely autistic child though, I do genuinely wish you the best. As others state, you need professional career advice - not from a college counselor, but a qualified career counselor. However, I know from a multitude of previous threads that the status quo will remain, so I really don't know how any of us can help.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
My professional opinion, as an ESL instructor, is that it is the least appropriate subject choice for someone who struggles with social communication. Sorry.

As a parent of a severely autistic child though, I do genuinely wish you the best. As others state, you need professional career advice - not from a college counselor, but a qualified career counselor. However, I know from a multitude of previous threads that the status quo will remain, so I really don't know how any of us can help.
Oddly, I was offered a few potential positions instructing ESL already. I get along better with internationals, because there is little cultural expectation, but this may only hold true with people, like Asians, who tend to be pretty respectful to instructors. It gets a little more dicey, though, when I work with people who are already familiar with the culture and wonder why I'm so odd or ask me what country I'm from. I don't know. It's a novel approach, but it seems to be working for me, maybe not well, though. It's also important to mention that these are mostly adults.

I would like to take your advice about seeing a professional career counselor, but I don't know where to look. Could you point me in the right direction?

Old 11-22-2014, 04:21 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,824 times
Yes, adult Asian students tend to be far more familiar with teacher-centered methods of teaching. I rarely have discipline issues but on the flip, it is harder to help them reach communicative benchmarks. IF you were to continue, I would suggest you focus on teaching TOEFL and IELTS. There is a good market for these positions.

As for counselors, just a local directory. I'm in canada, so maybe it is set up differently.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:58 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,870 times
Quote:
Oddly, I was offered a few potential positions instructing ESL already. I get along better with internationals, because there is little cultural expectation, but this may only hold true with people, like Asians, who tend to be pretty respectful to instructors. It gets a little more dicey, though, when I work with people who are already familiar with the culture and wonder why I'm so odd or ask me what country I'm from. I don't know. It's a novel approach, but it seems to be working for me, maybe not well, though. It's also important to mention that these are mostly adults.

I would like to take your advice about seeing a professional career counselor, but I don't know where to look. Could you point me in the right direction?
WAIT! You say you've been offered a few potential positions instructing ESL??? Have you been offered a contract? Isn't that what you want, and need?

Yes, seek help through the links given to you for aspbergers and autism, for adults. Go through those and send out emails asking where they suggest to find career counseling for adults with this diagnosis.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:02 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
I was tested for ASD a while back and recently got my results; it's "highly likely" I have an Autism Spectrum Disorder in the mild range (formerly known as Asperger's). I wonder how this is going to affect my chosen career. I'm set to graduate with a master's in Education in only a few weeks. I have more confidence now that I feel like maybe I have proof that my social flubs haven't been entirely my fault, but I'm also a bit unsure of what this may mean and what adjustments I may need to make to be successful in my chosen field.
I'm not saying that in a mean spirited way to you but I dislike the "it's not my fault because.." attitude many adopt. We all have issues and weak points but we need to own it. What we do is on us, we can't assign fault to anything or anyone else.

Before we labeled everything people did what they wanted and sometimes other people thought they were odd and this always going to be the case no matter what. You will just adapt and do whatever you can do, and you've already done a lot so I wouldn't worry.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not saying that in a mean spirited way to you but I dislike the "it's not my fault because.." attitude many adopt. We all have issues and weak points but we need to own it. What we do is on us, we can't assign fault to anything or anyone else.

Before we labeled everything people did what they wanted and sometimes other people thought they were odd and this always going to be the case no matter what. You will just adapt and do whatever you can do, and you've already done a lot so I wouldn't worry.
It wouldn't really be an issue, but I like working with people and tend to take those kinds of jobs, so I don't have a strong work history, as you can probably imagine. That's the reason I got tested to begin with. I thought something was off, but I attributed it to not having enough experience or training. I was thinking that maybe teacher training would be a good mix of academics and social skills. I didn't really start considering that perhaps other people do not have my problems until I started trying very hard and still failing at interacting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education