Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
As a young woman, I was accepted to the Sorbonne to study for my doctoral degree. My fluency in French was not good but serviceable, my reading comprehension superior.

While the reading comprehension has not changed, my ability to retain even grammar or vocabulary with which any intermediate French student is conversant...de mal en pire. This has to do with speaking with native French speakers I encounter in New Brunswick. I freeze up, in a way I would not have done as a young woman. I'm now 58 and wonder if retaining the ability to speak a foreign language declines with age, or if being tongue-tied may have to do with communicating with everyday people outside ivory tower situations.

These brain freezes are troubling me. It has been almost thirty years since I was slated for the doctoral degree, yes, but I should have retained more than I have.
Although it might take a little longer to learn and retain new vocabulary & grammatical structures in a foreign language as an older adult, one should still be able to do with it with a little extra effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
age effects the ability to do anything.
Can't even hold onto me tinkle like I used too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education