Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Kill the soundtrack. The music is like a dentist's drill playing a polka, and that ain't no lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 10:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Most of these I heard 'on the street' from other children. School is where these ideas were debunked.

Then, I went to school in the late 70s/early 80s. I have no idea what schools are teaching today. According to some sources, increadingly complex ways of teaching simple addition and subtraction are taking up all of the students' time, so basic history, science, language, and arts instruction is on the wane.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Most of these I heard 'on the street' from other children. School is where these ideas were debunked.

Then, I went to school in the late 70s/early 80s. I have no idea what schools are teaching today. According to some sources, increadingly complex ways of teaching simple addition and subtraction are taking up all of the students' time, so basic history, science, language, and arts instruction is on the wane.
Unfortunately this is all too true. Don't even get me started on Common Core! Both DH and I have Masters degrees and he is senior engineer but we struggle with middle school homework cause what they are being taught is ridiculous and so different from what we learned and how we use it today.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:16 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I was taught 9, 8, 6, and 4 in school. While 10 is the one that's the most laughable to me, 8 is the one that irks me the most!
#8 is "Edison invented the light bulb". Well? Who do you think did?

I confess I grew up in West Orange, NJ where Edison lived and had his laboratories which are now the Edison National Historic Site. I was certainly taught the Edison invented the light bulb along with the phonograph and dozens of other items.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:16 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Abraham Lincoln
The video claims that Abraham Lincoln did not strongly oppose slavery. There is no other way to characterize this claim than demonstrably false nonsense. In the quote (taken from a letter to Horace Greely in 1862) Lincoln never states that he is not strongly opposed to slavery. Indeed, he does not discuss his views on slavery at all, except to make clear that his purpose in prosecuting the Civil War is not to end slavery but to preserve the Union. In other words, he considered the Union more important than the abolishment of slavery.
I remember hearing or reading somewhere that the true reason for the civil war had to do with industry. The south had an industrial advantage with slavery, and that the war was fought in an attempt to thwart that.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
#8 is "Edison invented the light bulb". Well? Who do you think did?

I confess I grew up in West Orange, NJ where Edison lived and had his laboratories which are now the Edison National Historic Site. I was certainly taught the Edison invented the light bulb along with the phonograph and dozens of other items.
He improved it.

Quote:
Edison did not invent the first electric light bulb, but instead invented the first commercially practical incandescent light.[46] Many earlier inventors had previously devised incandescent lamps, including Alessandro Volta's demonstration of a glowing wire in 1800 and inventions by Henry Woodward and Mathew Evans. Others who developed early and commercially impractical incandescent electric lamps included Humphry Davy, James Bowman Lindsay, Moses G. Farmer,[47] William E. Sawyer, Joseph Swan and Heinrich Göbel. Some of these early bulbs had such flaws as an extremely short life, high expense to produce, and high electric current drawn, making them difficult to apply on a large scale commercially.[48]:217–218

Old 12-03-2014, 11:53 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Where's the lie that Hawaii "joined" the United States?
When in reality the Queen of Hawaii was overthrown

Old 12-03-2014, 12:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
We learned that Leif Erickson discovered America when I was in school in the '50s. Of course we also learned Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 14 hundred 92 .

Old 12-03-2014, 01:24 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Kill the soundtrack. The music is like a dentist's drill playing a polka, and that ain't no lie.
+1. That's what made me stop watching, so thanks for whoever gave the synopsis in post #3 I think.

Misconception #11: America is the greatest country in the world, and closely related:
#12. America is the land of the free.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:43 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Where's the lie that Hawaii "joined" the United States?
When in reality the Queen of Hawaii was overthrown
The Queen was overthrown in 1893, and the Hawaiian Republic was annexed as the Hawaiian Territory in 1898. Are there really still monarchists in Hawaii longing for a restoration of the Queen's descendants?

The citizens voted to join the Union in 1959 by a margin of 95%-5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education