Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 12:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times

Advertisements

Of course every career, academic or not, is helped by having a partner at home who is willing to take on the lion's share of domestic and child rearing duties.

This is an interesting article which sheds a light on academia as well as gender challenges. The jerk who says "That is what you have a wife for" really ticks me off but many men still feel this way.
Can you imagine a grown educated man being proud he has never washed a sock?

Study: Male scientists want to be involved dads, but few are - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:17 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,007,710 times
Putting up my protective barriers first and waiting to get hammered.....

Most of the men I took classes with in graduate level hard science classes, who planned on making a career of it, were not exactly the warm fuzzy type by nature. Heck, I was surprised when I found out some of them bothered to find a woman. Way too many of them had zero respect for a woman's intellectual capabilities. Really, the fellows on The Big Bang Theory are way too social and emotionally driven.

Oh, and as for washing those socks, I swear some of them didn't know how to match them either.

There is generally a basis for stereotypes in the first place that make people come up with them.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:23 PM

first hammer on the way......
DH is engineer who had academic experience. He's certainly not a social butterfly but he can hold his own. But he is rather contemplative and more cerebral than most people.

Son is physics professor and he is the most social person I know. Always up for a party, his company is sought after and he's very popular with the ladies. He laments he has a hard time finding women who have the same interests he does. They both enjoy the Big Bang Theory, especially the engineer vs scientist banter.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
first hammer on the way......
Dh is engineer who had academic experience. He's certainly not a social butterfly but he can hold his own. But he is rather contemplative and more cerebral than most people.

Son is physics professor and he is the most social person i know. Always up for a party, his company is sought after and he's very popular with the ladies. He laments he has a hard time finding women who have the same interests he does. They both enjoy the big bang theory, especially the engineer vs scientist banter.
😋

Old 12-03-2014, 04:45 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,404,853 times
Old topic, beaten to death, recycled - and still misguided.

And this?....

<“We came to realize that it really benefits your career to have someone at home, making sacrifices for your career” Damaske said>

Mmmm....ok. The above implication contributes to the increasing burden of so many need-based dual income families and their comparatively poor quality of life.

When a family can afford to make the "sacrifices" mentioned above - this is usually good news, not something to shed tears over. All too often writers make it sound as if there is a brilliant woman hidden deep inside that restrictive home who was devastated when she had to give up her "career dreams" and wasted all that Einstein potential; yet she somehow managed to keep the inner Einstein locked in when he tried to come up for air...all for the sake of the family!

Oh, the arms-race type competitiveness, backstabbing, fake coworkers, humiliation, overwhelming workloads, pressing deadlines and overall insane stress she had to give up by NOT joining the contemporary workplace!

Yes, there are situations where the woman truly wanted (or thought she wanted!) to take the career route, but she gave it up for a slower pace of life which admittedly benefits any family. In reality, in the vast majority of one-breadwinner families, both the man, the woman and the children benefit from this arrangement; and the woman herself, more often than not, finds it awfully convenient.

One spouse, usually the man, has the luxury to meet (or exceed!) work demands without worrying about domestic issues, all while making workers in dual-income families (especially females) look deficient by comparison. This luxury, when they have it, suits most men just fine - with the added benefit of inflated balls.
The other spouse (usually the woman) does what needs done at home where she can be "master of her own domain", set the rules, be independent, and not have to explain anything to anyone about her work.
Not too shabby.

It is getting so old to hear full-time domestics lamenting about how much they work at home as well as full-time workers with spouses at home full time, pumping their chests about their awesome career accomplishments...when it is the dual-career family that has the true short end of the stick in this whole story. However difficult it is what these stay-at-homers or sole breadwinners do, take IT and multiply by 2 or more to figure our the burden for individuals in dual income families.

In most cases, both working parents together don't make enough money to contract out the domestic work that piles up and that neither spouse has any more energy for; neither can they afford to keep a spouse at home if they hope to maintain a modicum of economic dignity or residential stability.

An overwhelming number of families are now in this situation and must keep BOTH parents working full-time jobs (sometimes more than two) if they are to maintain a barely middle class lifestyle. Yet nobody seems to be overly concerned about these families for the sake of some perverted form of political correctness.

People still don't get it that this is hardly a gender issue but a class/economic issue and nothing else.

We continue to fuss over the "stunted wings" of the woman who supposedly "sacrificed career", aka the "right to be abused at work".

What most such individuals have in mind is what they THOUGHT career was going to be for them - not what it would have been in reality.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:23 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
One reason more women don't go into engineering is that engineering seems to be a low-prestige job in the US. The parents of girls who are good at math and science don't suggest engineering as a career. So those girls tend to end up a little lost, and pick majors that don't amount to much, a real waste of talent. It's strange the attitudes in the US regarding engineers. In Russia and Germany, engineers are the pillars of society, like lawyers and doctors used to be in the US. They get paid very well.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:53 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,404,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One reason more women don't go into engineering is that engineering seems to be a low-prestige job in the US.
Not sure what you mean.
Engineering may be lower prestige than MD and maybe law, but it's still higher prestige than teaching, nursing, etc; and yet you don't see women running away from such occupations just because they are lower in prestige.
Since when are women refusing certain jobs because of low prestige...especially engineering, which is not that low? :-).

Old 12-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One reason more women don't go into engineering is that engineering seems to be a low-prestige job in the US. The parents of girls who are good at math and science don't suggest engineering as a career. So those girls tend to end up a little lost, and pick majors that don't amount to much, a real waste of talent. It's strange the attitudes in the US regarding engineers. In Russia and Germany, engineers are the pillars of society, like lawyers and doctors used to be in the US. They get paid very well.
Since when? When I've talked to female students about considering engineering, this has never been one of their objections.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 PM

and since when does any career have lower prestige than being a lawyer?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:15 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
and since when does any career have lower prestige than being a lawyer?
Huh? Lawyers may be the butt of many jokes, but law is still a high prestige career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education