Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:20 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times

Advertisements

If you go hang out in bars with some teachers after school, you might be pushing the age limit, but 19 is right in there with your peer group (you are just on the right of the bell curve instead of on the left). I also disagree that a HS diploma and a GED are viewed as the same thing. You are so close. Get some tutoring if you need to; you can do this. Don't give up on yourself. If you have a medical diagnosis, you are entitled to extra time for tests, as well as other support that is not available to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 11:37 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If you are content with manual labor, no, there is nothing wrong with having a GED, though Oldhag is correct in that it raises a big red flag for at least some colleges and employers: Why the hell couldn't you get a regular HS diploma in four years like everyone else?
If you're talking about a highly "selective" college like Harvard, sure, they admit vastly more diploma/home school kids than GEDs, but at most state schools a GED [in place of a diploma] will be a non-issue.

GEDs are quite common at college/univs that deal regularly with non-traditional students, and I don't know of any community college that would turn away a GED. It is theoretically possible that a certain program's accreditation or state licensure would specifically require a diploma, but I'm not familiar with any - most are quite clear that GED is on equal standing.

In no small part because the GED is designed to be a stand-in for a diploma.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingforthejob View Post
Hi everyone,

I googled advice on Education and found this board. Let me provide some background info, I'm 19, a senior in high school, and still enrolled. Furthermore, I have been diagnosed with ADHD and moderate Asperger's Syndrome, just throwing that out there. I was held back in Kindergarten as well, hence my age in relation to my grade.

In my junior year, I did pretty bad grade wise. A few A's and B's, but mostly C's and D's. I failed English III, and tried to use Florida Virtual School to regain the credit, but I was kicked out after I didn't complete enough work according to the "turn in schedule" that they have. Fast forward to December 2014, and due to several fights with my parents, I was kicked out for days at a time, leading my grades to plummet (which is definitely my fault, I'm just stating one of the factors). I have 22/24 credits, and 18/40 service hours to graduate. My current classes consist of 5 "filler" classes of which I already have earned the credits and thus do not need them at all, and two classes which I do require the credits for, which are English IV and another PE course. However, I failed English IV for the second quarter, and I probably won't do much better on the exam. Furthermore, I would have to take another year of high school with more filler classes along with English III and English IV. But, I'm miserable at school, despite the immense work I have placed into my classes, I still feel hopeless. I feel like I'm too old, and don't fit in, and if I waste six more months of my life, I might not even graduate. I don't want to be there anymore. Therefore, I'm wondering about the GED, or another way of gaining a diploma.

My parents have already said that they will pay my utilities, rent, food, phone, and insurance for a studio apartment if I manage to pass the GED and maintain regular employment (bless my parents for their patience with me). With regards to my employment, I would like to work as a ramp agent (baggage handler), customer service agent, gate agent, aircraft cleaner, or any other such related job for an airline. There are plenty of job openings and I have three major airports near where I'm planning to get my studio apartment. I don't mind working 40-60 hours a week as long as I'm working an airline job (and yes, I have considered the caveats).

I already have a good resume, with related work experience, and a driver's license as well as a valid passport (both required to be a ramp agent, which is my most preferred job). My question is, how much of a chance will I have to get the job with a GED? I want to work for Spirit, maybe moving onto Delta or American afterward. Will it be hard to get employed with these sort of jobs with a GED and relevant work experience?

Thanks and regards

Goingforthejob
Your public education only has a bearing on your future to the degree that you desire to work for someone else. I am personally no fan of public education as in my experience it does little for the individual besides teaching them to do mind numbing redundant tasks and to accept the status quot.

You can learn far more on your own than schools will ever teach you. The first step in anyone's education should be to learn about themselves. We spend far too much of our lives trying to be what other people think we should be and often loose track of what we truly are and the things we really like.
A Myers Briggs test is an excellent start in that direction.

Once you have a clear direction of what you would really like to do based on your personality type and personal interests, you should look at the possibilities in being self employed in that general direction.

For example I am sure you could make a far better living cleaning private planes in your own small business than working for a company that will likely pay you below a living wage.

Your developmental disability carries with it an upside as well as its limitations. Usually people with Aspergers have certain interests in which they can devote an inordinate amount of time and effort to because of their near obsession with what ever it is they really like. Once you find where your real passion lies, you will work tirelessly at it with enthusiasm few people working a regular job could ever match.
In addition, your disability could present you with unique opportunities as a business person because many large companies are given tax incentives to do business with minorities and people with disabilities.

The important thing to remember is that the best most people will ever do working for someone else is to make a meager living. If you want to be really successful, working for yourself is the path to take. And when you work for yourself, no one asks what kind of education you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education