Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:18 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Schools teach kids a lot these days. At least the schools my kids have gone to and currently attend.

I've seen/read enough about "unschooling" to know that it's not for me and not what I would want for my children.

Seems to be more of an anti-education movement than anything else, IMO.

You also have to be willing to deal with (or already have) a certain lifestyle that will allow for it.

Most seem to have a few screws loose (the parents) in the documentaries I've watched about this lifestyle (it is a lifestyle - mom and dad cant have normal regular 9-5 jobs) to begin with.

And that isn't going to change unless a parent wants it to. I don't think taking it to the other extreme is the answer either.

I don't believe it's an anti-education anything. Schools & some parents have dropped the ball when it comes down to it. Schools don't teach the basics no home-ec, no shop class. I do think schools over teach some things as well. What exactly are middle/high schools teaching kids to our kids that they can REALLY use? What subjects are going to be instrumental as to help your child succeed before they go off to college? Which is another waste of time these days. Other then basic Math, Science & English, what else do they need? I'm not against school so I'm not the enemy but I do believe that our kids spend way to much time stuck in school & for the most part tend to be wasting too much time there. Who says that everyone works a regular 9-5 job? Never had one in my life nor do I know anyone who does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Stupid.

My daughter is in parochial school and as a result she is well above the national average in her education.

Yet, she is behind as a whole. The school system is the U.S is way behind the world overall.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't believe it's an anti-education anything. Schools & some parents have dropped the ball when it comes down to it.
And homeschoolers and unschoolers also drop the ball. They go to the extreme…so which is better?

Quote:
Schools don't teach the basics no home-ec, no shop class.
But it's also not 1724 when you have to learn how to sew your own layers of clothing because you can't afford to shop at Kohls. Shop classes ? Not everyone needs to learn how to use a drill press/chop saw/table saw/lathe. Why don't we have welding 101? It doesn't benefit the majority so it's not cost effective. If you want to add in the liability insurance...

Quote:
What exactly are middle/high schools teaching kids to our kids that they can REALLY use? What subjects are going to be instrumental as to help your child succeed before they go off to college?
All of them, because the majority of colleges aren't looking for how well someone can sew buttons on a shirt or plant seeds and harvest what they planted.

Quote:
Which is another waste of time these days. Other then basic Math, Science & English, what else do they need?
Apparently learning all about history is a big deal…especially if you don't want the past to repeat itself.

There is no actuary, physician, English Prof who who didn't learn about math, science and English beyond the basics.

Quote:
I'm not against school so I'm not the enemy but I do believe that our kids spend way to much time stuck in school & for the most part tend to be wasting too much time there.
Look, if you don't want your kids to not end up under-educated with nowhere to go when they can't support their own family by living off the land, you (not YOU personally, YOU in general) should let them go through a normal school cycle. If they don't like the idea of continued education after they graduate from HS? That's on them but they will have no right to whine about how hard life is, how little they make and should NOT vote in a way that suggests/forces others who "did what they had to" in to helping them out.

Do what you want, I'm all for that.

But realize that you are making that choice for your children.

And please keep your kids off the government dole when they grow up and can't buy a pot to pee in. My kids and a ton of others, who will have "suffered" through the horror of a typical k-12 education and went on to do all of the horrible things (like going to college and then on to grad school, law school, medical school) shouldn't have to take away from their family to support your kid and his/her family. Or you.

But they will still (my kids) know how to plant seeds and harvest what the planted : corn, broccoli, funky leafy lettuce, they know how to cook, clean, where their meat comes from, what to drop off at the dry cleaner, how to separate and wash/dry whites/colors/ darks, how to skip through a brook, climb a tree, fish, hunt, ski, lay on a beach, etc.

Life doesn't have to be an either or.

I don't like extremes. They aren't reasonable.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:08 AM

[quote=Sawdustmaker;38042467] They go to the extreme…so which is better?
Yes, I agree here.

But it's also not 1724 when you have to learn how to sew your own layers of clothing because you can't afford to shop at Kohls. Shop classes ? Not everyone needs to learn how to use a drill press/chop saw/table saw/lathe. Why don't we have welding 101? It doesn't benefit the majority so it's not cost effective. If you want to add in the liability insurance...

If more people learned how to use a drill, etc. Then it might be a huge boom to their ego not to mention save them loads of money.

All of them, because the majority of colleges aren't looking for how well someone can sew buttons on a shirt or plant seeds and harvest what they planted.

Why college? Trade schools are only two years & people coming out of them have a better shot at getting a job sooner then someone out of college.

Apparently learning all about history is a big deal…especially if you don't want the past to repeat itself.

There is no actuary, physician, English Prof who who didn't learn about math, science and English beyond the basics.

That's all great IF your want to be a scientist but why teach them in H.S? If they want to be one of those then then that's what college should be for. Let them take those classes in college.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:43 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,793 times
Quote:

Look, if you don't want your kids to not end up under-educated with nowhere to go when they can't support their own family by living off the land, you should let them go through a normal school cycle.
You make it sound like certain children are crying and clinging to the door frames of the school as the parents pull them to the car by force...

What about the children that can't "go through a normal school cycle" for whatever reason? Public school is NOT always a good fit and CAN do more harm than good.

We have been able to find a wonderful happy medium between homeschool and public school, but not until we moved to a new state. I could have "let" (I hear "forced") my child to continue her public education in a school that listed bullying and public humiliation as the norm. I had a teacher tell me that she just treated my daughter as the classroom special ed. kid because it was easier for her (the teacher). We pulled my daughter from school the next day.

We homeschooled for 2 years because we were isolated and that school was the only school in our town.

Sorry, off topic a bit...just trying to point out that the reasons people opt to homeschool are not always what is assumed by the masses.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
And homeschoolers and unschoolers also drop the ball. They go to the extreme…so which is better?

Look, if you don't want your kids to not end up under-educated with nowhere to go when they can't support their own family by living off the land, you (not YOU personally, YOU in general) should let them go through a normal school cycle.

I missed this. I disagree with this to some extent as well. It's like saying a farmer can't take care of their children as well. Look, I'm not a doomsayer or anything but I do believe that something at some point is going to take place & the world as will know it will change. Sorry that's off topic. My point is that there has to be some type of balance Public schools & parents need to get together & figure out how to balance things out.

Then again if your going to teach your children to go just go buy another whatever when something breaks because they don't take care of it then so be it.

But like you stated. " realize that you are making that choice for your children."

Old 01-16-2015, 02:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
I don't believe it's an anti-education anything. Schools & some parents have dropped the ball when it comes down to it. Schools don't teach the basics no home-ec, no shop class. I do think schools over teach some things as well. What exactly are middle/high schools teaching kids to our kids that they can REALLY use? What subjects are going to be instrumental as to help your child succeed before they go off to college? Which is another waste of time these days. Other then basic Math, Science & English, what else do they need? I'm not against school so I'm not the enemy but I do believe that our kids spend way to much time stuck in school & for the most part tend to be wasting too much time there. Who says that everyone works a regular 9-5 job? Never had one in my life nor do I know anyone who does.
As to the first bold, what gives you this idea? My district requires one course, minimum, in practical arts, which can be home ec, shop, and a number of other courses as well. In addition, electives may be taken.

I think I answered the second bold as well. As for college being a waste of time, I'd bet every writer at "Outside" magazine has a college education.

Quote:

Great post; I've shown the best parts here.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
As to the first bold, what gives you this idea? My district requires one course, minimum, in practical arts, which can be home ec, shop, and a number of other courses as well. In addition, electives may be taken.

I think I answered the second bold as well. As for college being a waste of time, I'd bet every writer at "Outside" magazine has a college education.

I got the idea that you believe only a college education is the way to go leaving you in debt & without a job. That's great for you & yes the writers at" Outside" magazine did go to college at the same time they can start a fire without matches as well.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:30 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,682 times
Quote:
I got the idea that you believe only a college education is the way to go leaving you in debt & without a job. That's great for you & yes the writers at" Outside" magazine did go to college at the same time they can start a fire without matches as well.
I cannot get job with hs education

Old 01-17-2015, 07:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
You know, I'm getting so tired of posting this:
Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment
Just who is more likely to end up jobless? Why the less educated! The average college debt is around $30K. That is about the price of a new, modestly priced car. Yet few think twice about going into debt for a car, something that will need to be replaced in 20 years max, and in reality, probably sooner.

I'd be willing to bet some of those "Outside" editors couldn't start a fire with a blow-torch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education