Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:55 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
This reminds me of a TedTalk that I watched. The presenter said something like this, "If you came to Earth from another planet and looked at our public education system, you would assume that we are training every child to become a college professor."

That always stayed with me.
Yeah, the school system is primarily designed to perpetuate itself.

Now we can program the computers to bore the kids out of their minds. LOL

psik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post

I'd be willing to bet some of those "Outside" editors couldn't start a fire with a blow-torch.

Don't.

I think the problem to some extent here is that people have got so comfortable sitting behind their lap tops & smart phones & they believe for them it's the way life should be. Our children have moved away from playing outside to sitting on their phone or gaming systems all day. Same with the parents they have got fat & lazy & it's rubbed off on them. And anything that threatens that life is seen as bad & unproductive. When it's just the opposite.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:47 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If more people learned how to use a drill, etc. Then it might be a huge boom to their ego not to mention save them loads of money.
Learning isn't about ego and saving money, it's about having options, so you can afford to have someone use a drill for you as opposed to that being the only asset you have.

Quote:
Why college? Trade schools are only two years & people coming out of them have a better shot at getting a job sooner then someone out of college.
Trade schools are great. The only problem is that they don't teach enough business classes (how to run your own). Too many go union and hope for the best between layoffs.

Quote:
That's all great IF your want to be a scientist but why teach them in H.S? If they want to be one of those then then that's what college should be for. Let them take those classes in college.
You can't get in to a college if you don't have a solid background in the basics.

Those basics come from attending HS.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:32 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
Quote:
Last September Outside Magazine posted an article called We Don't Need No Education.
I posted it below. The whole idea is getting children OUT of the classroom & outside. Teach them to build things with their hands & not stifle them by being in a classroom all day. Teach them how to grow their own food about different plants. Schools these days don't teach the kids much of anything these days.
No more shop classes, no home economics either. My wife has a 13 year old & being that we live near one of the schools we are looking into it.

Would love to hear what other parents think of this.

Unschooling: The Case for Setting Your Kids Into the Wild | Nature | OutsideOnline.com
That sounds pretty good to me. Teach a kid tons of practical knowledge so they can actually do stuff at a young age. Stuff being: grow food, work on a car, swing a hammer, stay physically fit (teach the ins and outs of runnning, swimming, hiking, mountain biking, mountain climbing, yoga, football, etc), create stuff, do home maintenance/repairs, prepare healthy meals from scratch, survive in the wild, hunt, fish, balance a checkbook (find deals, use coupons, spend wisely, budget, buy a car, etc), defend themselves, etc. A lot of this stuff involves history, chemistry, math, biology, etc. I can't comment on the long term ramifications of this type of education, but I bet the kids would be a hell of a lot cooler than your average smart phone yielding gamer. My guess is that with enough skills making a living would never be a problem. How much money do you really need when you already know how to do just about everything other people pay for?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:39 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Last September Outside Magazine posted an article called We Don't Need No Education.
I posted it below. The whole idea is getting children OUT of the classroom & outside. Teach them to build things with their hands & not stifle them by being in a classroom all day. Teach them how to grow their own food about different plants. Schools these days don't teach the kids much of anything these days.
No more shop classes, no home economics either. My wife has a 13 year old & being that we live near one of the schools we are looking into it.

Would love to hear what other parents think of this.

Unschooling: The Case for Setting Your Kids Into the Wild | Nature | OutsideOnline.com
Yeah. That's your job as a parent.
Teach 'em all the other stuff.
School is for RRR.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
That sounds pretty good to me. Teach a kid tons of practical knowledge so they can actually do stuff at a young age. Stuff being: grow food, work on a car, swing a hammer, stay physically fit (teach the ins and outs of runnning, swimming, hiking, mountain biking, mountain climbing, yoga, football, etc), create stuff, do home maintenance/repairs, prepare healthy meals from scratch, survive in the wild, hunt, fish, balance a checkbook (find deals, use coupons, spend wisely, budget, buy a car, etc), defend themselves, etc. ?

My mommy taught me all that minus the self-defense.
I went to MMA courses for years for that part.

Seriously, does anyone raise their own kids anymore?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. That's your job as a parent.
Teach 'em all the other stuff.
School is for RRR.
Learning how to frame a wall involves RRR, right? What about looking at a repair manual and changing the intake gasket on a car? This stuff sounds like putting RRR into practice instead of just regurgitating theoretical stuff for a paper test.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:49 AM

Quote:
My mommy taught me all that minus the self-defense.
I went to MMA courses for years for that part.

Seriously, does anyone raise their own kids anymore?
She may have skimmed the surface of several topics, but I'm sure she didn't teach you the ins and outs of everything listed...unless she didn't work and home schooled you. A parent could also teach their child general chemistry/biology a lot faster than they learn it in school, but how many parents do it? If they do do it, what's the purpose of sending them to school?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
She may have skimmed the surface of several topics, but I'm sure she didn't teach you the ins and outs of everything listed...unless she didn't work and home schooled you. A parent could also teach their child general chemistry/biology a lot faster than they learn it in school, but how many parents do it? If they do do it, what's the purpose of sending them to school?
Yeah, she worked.
It was called being a MOM.

Maybe if people actually spent time with their kids instead of farming out their raising to third parties, kids would learn more, be less screwed up, and be able to function better in the real world.

Skimmed the surface? Over 18 years (or 17 for me bc I started school young), you don't think there's time to get in depth about a LOT of those things?
Now my uncle took me hunting and my dad fishing, but my mother fixed the house, sewed from scratch, cooked from scratch, did all the bills/investments/rental property management/budgeting...not to mention learned 3 new languages on top of the 2 she already knew growing up, and traveled with us all over the world.

When I wanted something (like my car), my dad made me use ExCel and presentations on cost trends, analysis of value, etc...lol...I remember once when soda in a can was a new thing and I wanted one in a can vs the bottle we were used to. I was like 7. And he made me figure out how much it was costing per ounce both ways and which was a better value.

When you spend an hour after work with your kids and harried weekends, it's no wonder everyone's so eager to make "school" teach them every darn thing.
My mother was there right as soon as we got home from school (she had done her yoga and workout and housework) and we had HOURS of learning opportunities every single day.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Yeah, she worked.
It was called being a MOM.

Maybe if people actually spent time with their kids instead of farming out their raising to third parties, kids would learn more, be less screwed up, and be able to function better in the real world.
I believe you are conflating two different issues. A lot of parents spend a lot of time with their children, but that doesn't mean they have the time/energy/know-how to teach their children everything they could learn during a school day. If that was the case, we wouldn't need schools at all. IIRC, the average person now works about 48/hours per week. That's about 9.5 hours per day + getting ready + driving time. That doesn't leave a lot of time for a spouse, friends, hobbies, eating AND giving a child the equivalent of an 8 hour school day. The stay at home mom is becoming a thing of the past now that most families need two incomes to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education