Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:56 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times

Advertisements

Teachers in my oldest's classes like to announce who got 98-100 on tests when passing out graded tests back to the students. When they give out the test scores lower than 98, they don't say anything. Then when they get to the failing graded tests, the kids are reminded, "Don't forget, you need to attend blah blah to retake this test." So they are letting other kids know who passed and who failed.

Do you agree with that?

Edited to add, I am purposely not posting which of the three camp my kid falls under. I am curious what people think first before telling my oldest's story when she asked the teacher about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 10:13 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Teachers in my oldest's classes like to announce who got 98-100 on tests when passing out graded tests back to the students. When they give out the test scores lower than 98, they don't say anything. Then when they get to the failing graded tests, the kids are reminded, "Don't forget, you need to attend blah blah to retake this test." So they are letting other kids know who passed and who failed.

Do you agree with that?

Edited to add, I am purposely not posting which of the three camp my kid falls under. I am curious what people think first before telling my oldest's story when she asked the teacher about this.
In grade school I think it's a very good idea to announce if someone had a perfect paper. It's an ego boost for the kid that achieved it and provides some incentive to the others to someday have their own perfect paper and be recognized.

In high school I believe there would be little to gain by doing so. In fact, depending on the school it could add to unnecessary resentment towards the good student and actually set up a bullying possibility.

As to announcing, even if it's subtle, who flunked a particular test whether it be grade school or high school is just plain wrong. They know who they are. Further embarrassment accomplishes nothing. One on one with the struggling (or not struggling cause they don't care) students is where you address their situation and then you pull no punches.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:36 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
It doesn't hurt anything, why not? It's a good motivation to do well on exams.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:51 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
In 3rd grade (1968-69) we had to call out our own spelling test grades every Friday. It was fun, and it spurred a boys-vs-girls competition to see who got the most E's (for Excellent). Even though the boys could always count on me for an E, the girls always won!

The kids already know who is smart and who isn't, just like they know who is better at sports, etc.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:54 AM

This is in middle school by the way if it makes a difference. And it does spark a bit of teasing on both the passing and failing kids.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:58 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
By middle school kids are separated into Smart, Regular, and Dummy classes. Like I said earlier, they already know who is smart and who isn't.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
By middle school kids are separated into Smart, Regular, and Dummy classes. Like I said earlier, they already know who is smart and who isn't.
They did away with that years ago. They are now all in the same class. Even in the "honors" classes. They said the honor kids might "inspire" the lesser performing kids to do better. I wish it was separated as you stated!

Old 01-15-2015, 11:32 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
They did away with that years ago. They are now all in the same class. Even in the "honors" classes. They said the honor kids might "inspire" the lesser performing kids to do better. I wish it was separated as you stated!
I wish they were separated too. Most teachers do. Differentiation is generally given a kiss-and-promise, if even that as it simply isn't tenable in most classrooms. Used to be when kids were group together, the low end just got left in the dust and often dropped out. Now who suffers under the current setup is the best and brightest because we are teaching to the bottom.

But.... No, on announcing the exam's shinning stars and flunkers, especially in middle school. There are students who will quit getting those perfect scores because they are embarrassed by the attention or some will get harassed by jealous students. It is never a good idea to announce the flunkers - the ones that tried and still failed slightly will simply stop trying at all. They will make sure to tell everyone they don't study - better to be thought lazy than stupid, after all. Everyone already knows who is who anyway, but by the teacher placing a laser light on it you take the focus of all students from their own exams and place it on a select few others' exams.

Homework that can't be failed if they just try? Announce away.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
And with years of being among each other everyone knows how the others perform.
It's really no secret among them who is smart, who is not, who doesn't care and who is the nerd.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
I don't think it's necessary. By late elementary, the kids know who's smart and who's not, even if the teacher does not explicitly announce it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education