Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should schools in the U.S. be forced to teach a foreign language?
Yes, and it should be Spanish everywhere 9 5.23%
Yes, but specific language mandates only at the state/local level 17 9.88%
Yes, but no specific language unless the school can offer only one 94 54.65%
No, no mandatory foreign languages 52 30.23%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Speaking as a foreigner, what is the necessity of this?
Americans speak English, they have no need of speaking any foreign language.
Obviously it can be picked up out of interest, but in all honesty you have no necessity of speaking any other language but your own.
Not true. It depends upon your field and goals.

Historians have to read books in their original LANGUAGES when they do academic research. Particularly in the parts of the world they specialize in. Bankers have to do deal with counterparties in other nations and yes they can be required to know other languages.

In large cities social workers and doctors can be required to know other languages to deal with their clients/patients.

There are other professional and personal reasons why people do need foreign language skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 10:08 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not true. It depends upon your field and goals.

Historians have to read books in their original LANGUAGES when they do academic research. Particularly in the parts of the world they specialize in. Bankers have to do deal with counterparties in other nations and yes they can be required to know other languages.

In large cities social workers and doctors can be required to know other languages to deal with their clients/patients.

There are other professional and personal reasons why people do need foreign language skills.
The historians point might be partly true but for rest English is the business language of the world.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:28 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
Given that I frequently hear people here saying that children should be required to learn a foreign language, and even some people that (in the U.S.) it should be Spanish I thought I'd start a poll to see what everyone thinks (and I'll offer my opinion).

I think there should be a national requirement for schools to teach one or more foreign languages*, but there should be no national mandates that it be Spanish or anything else**.

*Since that's the norm in much of the world and there are studies that show numerous benefits of being bilingual.

**Since schools should have flexibility to teach what is most relevant locally or what they feel would be most useful for the majority of its students (if they can teach only one - if multiple languages are offered the student/parents should be able to choose from any of them). While in all but a handful of locations in the U.S. that would be Spanish, schools in Louisiana or near the Quebec border should be able to teach French instead for example, schools in Hawaii an Asian language, etc.

What do you think?
I think there should be a national requirement for all kids to go to Catholic School/parochial school to learn English grammar...even back in my day.

Those kids who transferred to public school in 9th grade used to whip the butts of my honors English class.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:45 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Speaking as a foreigner, what is the necessity of this?
Americans speak English, they have no need of speaking any foreign language.
Obviously it can be picked up out of interest, but in all honesty you have no necessity of speaking any other language but your own.
That sounds kind of ignorant. Especially from a foreigner!

I think that EVERY country should teach children a second language. It is not only good to acknowledge that there are other languages in the world, it also opens up their minds and stimulates the brain.

I have learned English and French in school (back home in Germany) and later on took some Spanish classes on my own. Even though I forgot most of the Spanish and French, it still helps me when I travel to foreign countries, trying to find places, or buying stuff, just looking at the news.

I live in California and I think it is a shame that they don't teach Spanish in schools.

White people are having disadvantages in schools, jobs, and every day life because the Spanish speaking community is so huge here and we let them discriminate us by being ignorant, insisting on not learning their language.

Of course people in the US should speak English first - but fact is that in some states, the main language is Spanish. So insisting on English as only language is stubborn and not smart. If you stand in front of the ATM, complaining that you have to pick between English and Spanish - this will not help you in every day life, even though your view is politically correct.

As soon as my English is really good, I want to learn Spanish again. If Mexican people around me talk crap about me, I wanna know what they say!

Old 08-14-2015, 01:11 PM

674 posts, read 610,942 times
I wish I had more language instruction while I was in elementary school.

It's so much harder as an adult, but everyone says that knowing at least one other language fluently makes it easier to learn more. I feel as if part of the world of knowledge is locked away from me, and there's nothing I'll ever be able to do about it. I'm doomed to speak all other languages as poorly as much of my immediate family speaks English.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:47 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
How about classes on finance and managing your money, a lost art in America these days.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
How about classes on finance and managing your money, a lost art in America these days.
Kids could be required to read a book on that subject over the summer. That's not a problem.

What does that have to do with a discussion about foreign language classes, though, other than the standard complaints that come in whenever someone implies that we should teach kids anything even remotely academic?

It's not an either-or situation. Foreign language should be taught starting in elementary school. Finance obviously shouldn't be, if it is taught at all (and it's the sort of thing an educated person can figure out without a class).

Old 08-14-2015, 02:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Kids could be required to read a book on that subject over the summer. That's not a problem.

What does that have to do with a discussion about foreign language classes, though, other than the standard complaints that come in whenever someone implies that we should teach kids anything even remotely academic?

It's not an either-or situation. Foreign language should be taught starting in elementary school. Finance obviously shouldn't be, if it is taught at all (and it's the sort of thing an educated person can figure out without a class).

Obviously people can't figure out finance because we have so many poor uneducated people in the USA living on welfare and social services that we have to raise the min. wage to 15 an hour, rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, does not both me because I have money. I do feel bad for people that don't know how to manage their finances.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Obviously people can't figure out finance because we have so many poor uneducated people in the USA living on welfare and social services that we have to raise the min. wage to 15 an hour, rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, does not both me because I have money. I do feel bad for people that don't know how to manage their finances.
I said that educated people can figure out finance. Personal finance is not hard at all. It's certainly not hard enough to warrant getting rid of a real academic subject just to get it into the curriculum.

I'm not sure the rest would be better off even if it were taught in high schools.

I don't mind if it's taught, perhaps instead of something entirely worthless like study hall. Even making some personal finance lessons mandatory as homework or as a summer project might be useful.

Foreign language, though, is something that has to be taught early, or else the kids who miss out on it are punished for the rest of their lives.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:40 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That sounds kind of ignorant. Especially from a foreigner!

I think that EVERY country should teach children a second language. It is not only good to acknowledge that there are other languages in the world, it also opens up their minds and stimulates the brain.

I have learned English and French in school (back home in Germany) and later on took some Spanish classes on my own. Even though I forgot most of the Spanish and French, it still helps me when I travel to foreign countries, trying to find places, or buying stuff, just looking at the news.

I live in California and I think it is a shame that they don't teach Spanish in schools.

White people are having disadvantages in schools, jobs, and every day life because the Spanish speaking community is so huge here and we let them discriminate us by being ignorant, insisting on not learning their language.

Of course people in the US should speak English first - but fact is that in some states, the main language is Spanish. So insisting on English as only language is stubborn and not smart. If you stand in front of the ATM, complaining that you have to pick between English and Spanish - this will not help you in every day life, even though your view is politically correct.

As soon as my English is really good, I want to learn Spanish again. If Mexican people around me talk crap about me, I wanna know what they say!
Your right!! It's a good idea for American folks to learn Spanish....Especially the children. It will be useful during their adult lives, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education