Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:56 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times

Advertisements

Actually my son goes to an online school because of his Tourettes. He would be isolated at public school as well because he is deemed a disturbance to others in class. I try to send him to school every year but until his tics wayne I'm afraid it keeps him closed off from most people who can't handle it. At home at least he has family and he does have a few friends who don't get bothered by it. Plus,the internet is great for him. He can actually carry on conversations with people through typing without his tic disturbing the conversation.

Online schools have live lessons via computer and the kids all talk with each other and the teachers. So, it's sort of inbetween homeschool and public school. It's public school in the home. I think one of the reasons this is increasing is because spectrum disorders are increasing, and public schools are in a battle with state funds and parents over how much special education funding is available, worth it, and so on. I also know a lot of parents with gifted kids homeschool, their kids are far ahead and just go to college early.

At public school my son was treated like a disturbance, and wasn't a very happy camper most of the time. Even parents would complain about it disturbing their kids. So, the option was for him to sit in a room by himself at school or just online him. Well, duh, who would let their kid sit in a room all alone at school. He went there to make friends in the first place.

I actually can't wait to see this movie. It seems to me, although I'm no expert on anxiety, that the father suffers from a few mental anxiety disorders, mixed with cultural differences from America. The kids all seem awesome! I'm sure it will take them awhile to adjust to society and I hope it all turns out ok for them. I have sympathy for the mother, but that isn't so culturally different from those in the country they came from. They are simply afraid of NYC. They seem to all need some help from "good" therapist.

I really don't see this as a homeschool vs public school issue though. I think in their condition, they would have suffered at school as well. It just seems like an odd family, that usually spells mental disorders to me.

I don't know what the school could have done on a religious issue, and now they already get therapy. This lady befriended them and used their trust in her to make a movie that has now caused them to hide further from society. That's sort of sad.

I just think they have a scared little man as a father, he probabably even thinks he was doing the right thing. Scary but so far it doesn't seem they were beaten, or anything horribly physical done to them. I guess I'll see when the movies out. Not that keeping them locked inside out of fear wasn't horrible enough, but glad there was no locking in closets, or basements like we've seen before.

I am not looking forward to the backlash this movie will give to homeschooled families. Hm.....maybe I should cut my sons hair so we aren't compared.
I don't want to get egged as I walk around the neighborhood with my long haired homeschooled boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Actually my son goes to an online school because of his Tourettes. He would be isolated at public school as well because he is deemed a disturbance to others in class. I try to send him to school every year but until his tics wayne I'm afraid it keeps him closed off from most people who can't handle it. At home at least he has family and he does have a few friends who don't get bothered by it. Plus,the internet is great for him. He can actually carry on conversations with people through typing without his tic disturbing the conversation.

Online schools have live lessons via computer and the kids all talk with each other and the teachers. So, it's sort of inbetween homeschool and public school. It's public school in the home. I think one of the reasons this is increasing is because spectrum disorders are increasing, and public schools are in a battle with state funds and parents over how much special education funding is available, worth it, and so on. I also know a lot of parents with gifted kids homeschool, their kids are far ahead and just go to college early.

At public school my son was treated like a disturbance, and wasn't a very happy camper most of the time. Even parents would complain about it disturbing their kids. So, the option was for him to sit in a room by himself at school or just online him. Well, duh, who would let their kid sit in a room all alone at school. He went there to make friends in the first place.
I would be interested in this movie, but your son may also want to see this one, if he hasn't already:

Movie | Class Performance

It's based on the true story of Brad Cohen who has Tourette's and who became a teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzur...yer_detailpage

Old 02-05-2015, 05:58 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Is this stuff true?
IMO, the types of parents that care enough to homeschool would mostly have children that would be successful regardless of schooling environment. However, if every child was homeschooled, we'd have an educational and social disaster on our hands. Not enough truly responsible parents to supervise, let alone actively educate, their children.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I would be interested in this movie, but your son may also want to see this one, if he hasn't already:

Movie | Class Performance

It's based on the true story of Brad Cohen who has Tourette's and who became a teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzur...yer_detailpage
Yes, we've seen it. Wonderful! Thanks Nana

Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
IMO, the types of parents that care enough to homeschool would mostly have children that would be successful regardless of schooling environment. However, if every child was homeschooled, we'd have an educational and social disaster on our hands. Not enough truly responsible parents to supervise, let alone actively educate, their children.
You are correct imo, I think it's working pretty well now. When public schooling isn't a fit, then private, online or homeschooling is an option and if homeschooling isn't working, public schooling is a good try. I think you know when you find the right fit for your own situation. One size really doesn't fit all because every child is so different from another. Some have little choice, like people who need a place for their child to go while they work. In that case, public school is the best choice as they are productive during the day and there is little choice. After they are 12years old they can always online school at home and check in by phone with their parents.

Regarding this family in the movie, I just think they had irrational fears and went overboard. I hope they recover well from the situation and they all get the help they need.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:04 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You simply can't decide to somehow monitor people based on what you think could happen. What next...do you start monitoring parents during summer vacation? Do you somehow monitor them when the kids aren't at school? Do you hire monitors to police the schools and monitor potential teacher wrongdoing? Do you monitor children from birth-5 yrs old before they start school?
No, you set educational standards that include a way for homeschooled kids to be seen by people other than their parents or cloistered group. Such as through standardized testing, meetings with the local school district, etc.

Or, like I said, you accept it and ignore whatever goes on behind closed doors and try not to think about it. I do admire the slippery slope scenario's you imaged though

Old 02-16-2015, 01:41 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No, you set educational standards that include a way for homeschooled kids to be seen by people other than their parents or cloistered group. Such as through standardized testing, meetings with the local school district, etc.
More government involvement where none is needed. You've yet to establish that there's actually a problem worth addressing yet you want to stick your nose in other people's business. Sheesh.

Quote:
Or, like I said, you accept it and ignore whatever goes on behind closed doors and try not to think about it. I do admire the slippery slope scenario's you imaged though
Care to give an example? If you want to somehow monitor homeschoolers - it seems logical to conclude that forced monitoring should be done anytime children are away from school for long periods of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education