Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:08 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
One of the issues...

Virtually everything having to with people has issues. Public schools have their issues, welfare has its issues, the government has its issues. I can't think of a single human involved activity that doesn't have issues. I just don't think you can dangle child abuse over homeschooling like its some kind of raging epidemic.
Something doesn't have to be a raging epidemic for it to be a serious problem or for it to need to be addressed.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
The article says the situation occurred in Utah.
I was curious when I read the topic title, because when I homeschooled my son for a couple of years in NY, homeschooling was overseen by the school district. A representative from the local school- usually the principal- made periodic visits, and my son had to go to the school to take the standardized tests along with the students. We were required to go by the same school calendar as the local school, and I also had to produce the curriculum and his school work.
It was much different when I homeschooled my daughter in Texas- homeschooling is considered a private school, and the school district was not supposed to have anything to do with it.
No, actually the article says the children were confined to an apartment in NYC. I think the Sundance Film Festival is in Park City, Utah which is where the film is being shown.

Quote:
It’s quite a tale: Seven children, all with waist-length hair, are raised on welfare in a messy four-bedroom apartment on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. And they are almost never allowed to leave the house. For years.

Their father has the only key to the front door, and he keeps it locked. In some years, they are allowed outside only a handful of times. In others, not at all.

The kicker is that the story is true — and all but one of the children still live there.
Quote:
Ms. Moselle said she first met the brothers in 2010 as they walked “in a pack” down First Avenue. All of them were wearing black Ray-Ban sunglasses inspired by “Reservoir Dogs,” and their long hair was blowing in the wind. “I just started running after them to find out more and was instantly obsessed,” she said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 05:37 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,765,855 times
Here's a picture of three homeschooled kids, from a town in the Appalachians, not far from where some of my cousins have built summer places. I'm sure the OP will take one look at the picture, and describe them as "living in filth" and "deprived of hair brushes". https://d12vtfu4gtphmb.cloudfront.ne...erry_Cover.jpg But the truth is, they're about as close to perfect as people can be: superachievers and altruists of the first order: The Band Perry Offers to Pay Watson Funeral Expenses

I know all sorts of superachievers who homeschooled their children, as well as superachievers in all walks of life, who were homeschooled. And those homeschooled individuals are also far closer-to-perfect than the average survivor of "The School System".

And I also know, and know of, countless people whose psyches were destroyed by the little concentration camps that our schools and preschools have become. Frankly, we and our friends regret not having collectively homeschooled our offspring. We were lucky to have a Reform temple with a good preschool, as well as connections to a wealthy Baptist congregation: both with programs attuned to the needs of the offspring of the Cognitive Elite (and a miraculously good public school system, in an exurban, whiteopian, flight-destination micropolis). But the truth is, we were just astonishingly lucky. Plenty of kids did get broken in that school system. And ones who'd been sent through the system at the expensive nearby Episcopalian school (in the top-twenty, nationally) were even more apt to emerge 'broken'.

I barely survived school, and had two classmates who did not live to graduate. It was only through a series of interventions and happy accidents, that my own life was not one of the uncountable millions of lives broken by the climate of terror in schools. My husband, in school, was bullied to the edge of death, and looks back to those times with a mixture of horror and disbelief - unable to believe that he survived long enough to get to college.

It is natural for young primates to remain with their parents and family groups throughout development. We humans are primates. It is unnatural for children to be wrested from the family, and thrust into grim little collectivist kennels. Family says 9-year-old was provoked by toddler | Local News - WAPT Home The horrors of New York schools have been more-than-adequately described, in literature and on film. You can look those up, on your own.

I believe that homeschooled children are not stripped of their humanity, in the way that most of us have been. It seems to me that if there is any compassion and humanity left in the Human Race, then it resides primarily among those who were homeschooled.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,421 times
As a public school teacher, knowing what I know, I would homeschool if my children were of school age. I've seen far more children abused and neglected by our public education system than can ever compare to the smatterings of homeschooled students. In fact, I now feel that I was neglectful by allowing my children to attend public school.

Parents who are neglectful and abusive will find a way to be neglectful and abusive.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:47 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
As a public school teacher, knowing what I know, I would homeschool if my children were of school age. I've seen far more children abused and neglected by our public education system than can ever compare to the smatterings of homeschooled students. In fact, I now feel that I was neglectful by allowing my children to attend public school.
It is amazing how many teachers I have heard over the last 5 or so years say the same thing. The sad thing is that I understand perfectly why they feel that way.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:06 PM

698 posts, read 959,466 times
Quote:

Parents who are neglectful and abusive will find a way to be neglectful and abusive.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:

Old 01-26-2015, 01:38 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Here's a picture of three homeschooled kids, from a town in the Appalachians, not far from where some of my cousins have built summer places. I'm sure the OP will take one look at the picture, and describe them as "living in filth" and "deprived of hair brushes". https://d12vtfu4gtphmb.cloudfront.ne...erry_Cover.jpg But the truth is, they're about as close to perfect as people can be: superachievers and altruists of the first order: The Band Perry Offers to Pay Watson Funeral Expenses

I know all sorts of superachievers who homeschooled their children, as well as superachievers in all walks of life, who were homeschooled. And those homeschooled individuals are also far closer-to-perfect than the average survivor of "The School System".

And I also know, and know of, countless people whose psyches were destroyed by the little concentration camps that our schools and preschools have become. Frankly, we and our friends regret not having collectively homeschooled our offspring. We were lucky to have a Reform temple with a good preschool, as well as connections to a wealthy Baptist congregation: both with programs attuned to the needs of the offspring of the Cognitive Elite (and a miraculously good public school system, in an exurban, whiteopian, flight-destination micropolis). But the truth is, we were just astonishingly lucky. Plenty of kids did get broken in that school system. And ones who'd been sent through the system at the expensive nearby Episcopalian school (in the top-twenty, nationally) were even more apt to emerge 'broken'.

I barely survived school, and had two classmates who did not live to graduate. It was only through a series of interventions and happy accidents, that my own life was not one of the uncountable millions of lives broken by the climate of terror in schools. My husband, in school, was bullied to the edge of death, and looks back to those times with a mixture of horror and disbelief - unable to believe that he survived long enough to get to college.

It is natural for young primates to remain with their parents and family groups throughout development. We humans are primates. It is unnatural for children to be wrested from the family, and thrust into grim little collectivist kennels. Family says 9-year-old was provoked by toddler | Local News - WAPT Home The horrors of New York schools have been more-than-adequately described, in literature and on film. You can look those up, on your own.

I believe that homeschooled children are not stripped of their humanity, in the way that most of us have been. It seems to me that if there is any compassion and humanity left in the Human Race, then it resides primarily among those who were homeschooled.
Nice post. I live in a pretty large metro and it seems like the single biggest issue for parents is kennels...err, I mean schools. People base their entire life around getting near a "good" school...the problem is that out of what seems like 250 schools, only 10-15% are considered good. For those that can't afford to live in these areas, they just try to work with what they've got.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:45 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
BTW - I read that 4% (and quickly growing) of kids are now homeschooled. That's an exponential increase over the last 30 or so years. I think it'll be pretty cool to see what that number gets to...could we see 10% of kids homeschooled by 2025? I imagine that 20-30 years ago it was much harder to network with other homeschool parents/kids. Now, I bet a parent can find at least 20-30 parents/kids in their area

Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
... I imagine that 20-30 years ago it was much harder to network with other homeschool parents/kids. Now, I bet a parent can find at least 20-30 parents/kids in their area
25 yrs ago we had a consistent 75 kids at our weekly Homeschool community learning program. Now measures in the hundreds (and growing).

10 yrs out of college, our Homeschooled kids (and their peers) are doing well, and very engaged in community / international causes.

YMMV, there are always 'corner cases'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education