Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:42 PM

48 posts, read 71,390 times

Advertisements

What are the main differences? Do good colleges look at all students or look at the private school student first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
The differences depend on which private school and which public school you are talking about. There are myriad varieties of each, and myriad reasons for a family to prefer one over the other.

Good colleges look at each student as an individual.

My son got a 4-year scholarship after 12 years of Catholic school, but plenty of public school kids also get scholarships.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
There are a ton of variables and geography is the most important.

In some areas there really isn't much in the way of private schools. In others the public schools are in the toilet.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The differences depend on which private school and which public school you are talking about. There are myriad varieties of each, and myriad reasons for a family to prefer one over the other.

Good colleges look at each student as an individual.

My son got a 4-year scholarship after 12 years of Catholic school, but plenty of public school kids also get scholarships.
Right. Being the no. 1 ranked student at a poor performing private school that doesn't have AP/honors classes and didn't adequately prepare you for the SAT will not get you into a "good" college over a someone in the top 20% of his graduating class at a strong public school who did well in AP classes and scored within the median range of the "good" college's SAT range. This example can work in the reverse, too.

Note, even at mediocre (as judged by graduation rates and average SAT scores, etc.) public and private schools, there is often a solid core group within the higher ranks of the school who will be competitive for admission to the "good" colleges because they have high GPAs, excel in challenging classes and perform well on the SAT/ACT. I went to one such public school and attended an Ivy League university for undergraduate.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:21 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Good colleges can afford to cherry pick the best students to the point that it becomes irrelevant whether the student came from a public or private school. Also, a lot of "good colleges" including some ivies nowadays refuse to teach - they just want to collect smart ambitious students and let TAs do much of the instruction.

But if you're asking about pedagogy and execution, it boils down to 3 things (all related): funding, class size and teacher training/experience. The first 2 are relatively easy to figure out. The last is hard because not all schools disclose the specific academic majors of their teachers. For example, have the physics or math teachers actually majored in physics or math?

Old 01-19-2015, 04:44 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,974 times
Contrary to myth, private schools are not better. They are designed to keep the so-called riff-raff out. Public schools have to take all comers, and they do a very good job of educating the 90 percent of the student population that uses them. This despite tons of propaganda by interests who want loot public coffers for private gain.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:43 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama7 View Post
What are the main differences? Do good colleges look at all students or look at the private school student first?
Brown's class of '18 stats:

Quote:
63% of the admitted class attended public schools, while 37% attended private or parochial schools or were home-schooled.

For those high schools that ranked its students, 95% of the admitted students were ranked in the top 10% of their class.
2018 Ivy League Admissions Statistics | The Ivy Coach

Quote:
College Admissions: Do Private Schools Have An Advantage?
Does going to a private school give you a leg up when it comes to college acceptance?
College Admissions: Do Private Schools Have An Advantage?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
Contrary to myth, private schools are not better. They are designed to keep the so-called riff-raff out. Public schools have to take all comers, and they do a very good job of educating the 90 percent of the student population that uses them. This despite tons of propaganda by interests who want loot public coffers for private gain.
What kind of
Quote:
so-called riff-raff
? The ones who can afford coke as opposed to pot? Or the gang-banger types who, along with their lovely parents, attack cops after a HS dance (happened at a local public HS in my area)?

If you can pay the tuition without financial aid or with financial aid, don't have a juvenile record, meet the testing requirements, you are welcome at any private school that I know of.

When you say
Quote:
want loot public coffers for private gain
what do you mean?

Old 01-20-2015, 12:41 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
The reputation of the school itself plays a role, and that has little to do with whether it is public or private.

There are lots of public schools in "good" school districts that have stellar reputations, for instance. Ditto magnet schools for gifted students.

There are private schools that are considered mediocre at best, and there are some that are considered very rigorous.

Generally people just try to get their kid into a school with a good reputation and push them to do as well as they can while they are there.

Still, the top students in even a meh high school will generally get accepted somewhere decent.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
In general, it won't make that much difference for private school vs. public school. I would say as long as the public schools available to you are at least decent, and you don't fear for your child's safety then it isn't worth the cost for a private school. The only times where it would be worth it is if the private school offers something the public school doesn't, say a Japanese language immersion program, that you really want your child to be a part of or if you live in the hood and your child will be going to school with gang members.

What matters far more than the school to determining a child's success is the participation of the parents in the child's education. The best private school in the world won't do much for a kid if the parents don't value education, don't read to their child starting from a very early age, don't help with homework and just generally leave their child to fend for themselves. I knew how to read and write before I even started school thanks to my parents; they put me ahead of most of my class before kindergarten and I stayed ahead throughout my schooling all the way to a Masters degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education