Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:56 AM

807 posts, read 1,026,110 times

Advertisements

A school in in my area recently went into a lock down while police with drug sniffing dogs searched the school for drugs. Two students were taken away after the police found cocaine and meth in their lockers.

The students were suspended for a week! One week! Not expelled, no jail time, just one week off to stay at home.

This bothers me for many reasons. First, the school had an opportunity to set an example, but by giving the kids a simple week off of school does nothing to deter other students from bringing drugs into the school. I'm very upset over how the school handled this. Drugs are a huge problem in schools today, mostly because heroin is very cheap and easy for kids to get.

If schools want to get serious about drugs, why not expel the kids permanently! This would set an example and perhaps do something to curtail the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 08:01 AM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
I can't speak for NJ specifically but in MD the penalty for simple possession without intent to resale was recently reduced from request for expulsion to a 5 day suspension.

This was done to reduce the suspension/expulsion rate of students who disproportionately receive those consequences.

NJ may not be much different in that the school based administration doesn't have much leeway as to punishment.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:07 AM

12,060 posts, read 23,089,443 times
You have no idea if they will serve any jail time or not because it will take months for this case to wind its way through the juvenile justice system. Juveniles who commit non violent offenses are also not held in jail "just because." It is customary to release juveniles to a parent or guardian; the juvenile system is geared towards education and prevention--not incarceration and punitive action.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:24 AM

Perhaps jail would be harsh for juveniles in this situation, but I'm appalled that it is not taken more seriously within the school. Drugs are a plague on teens, there should be zero tolerance for drugs in school and violators should be expelled permanently.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 AM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Perhaps jail would be harsh for juveniles in this situation, but I'm appalled that it is not taken more seriously within the school. Drugs are a plague on teens, there should be zero tolerance for drugs in school and violators should be expelled permanently.

Talk to your school board, they set the punishment guidelines, many times with "guidance" from the State Board of Education.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:40 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,621,496 times
Why would u want some high school kids thrown in jail?
Like, calm down. It's not as if they were selling it.

Name me one high school that has absolutely not one drug in it? lol.
Yeah, sure...ruin the rest of the kid's life over a simple possession charge. Makes total sense.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Why would u want some high school kids thrown in jail?
Like, calm down. It's not as if they were selling it.

Name me one high school that has absolutely not one drug in it? lol.
Yeah, sure...ruin the rest of the kid's life over a simple possession charge. Makes total sense.
I never said they should be in jail. Just permanently expelled from school.

Kids are giving out free heroin in high schools to get kids addicted. Is this something you want for your child? A kid who is doing this should have their life ruined before they ruin the life of countless others. That's what makes total sense.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,862,480 times
Quote:

Kids are giving out free heroin in high schools to get kids addicted. Is this something you want for your child? A kid who is doing this should have their life ruined before they ruin the life of countless others. That's what makes total sense.

I think there are state's guideline and then each district set their policy. I don't think it's set up that kids are expelled on first offense.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:15 AM

3,350 posts, read 2,833,114 times
Quote:

It is not the drug dealer's fault it is kid fault

Old 01-27-2015, 10:21 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,624,129 times
Quote:
lol. My high school was like this. Guess what? The kids who wanted to do drugs did drugs anyway, but were smarter about it. We had like 3-10 kids kicked out per year for being idiots about it. The year after I left they kicked out 30 kids because they went full draconian and raided everyones rooms (this was a boarding school). Before that they were more passive about it and I've heard they have become passive again since kicking 30+ kids out every year for drugs isn't the best reputation for a school to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education