Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:04 PM

723 posts, read 806,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
What are you trying to say? Who are they?
How can someone ask to get rid of the department of education? and ask for a state university not to enroll students from other states?
constantly hate teachers and unions, finding it normal a teacher gets less than $30 K /year without realizing that teachers work double time at home and in school preparing lessons or grading papers sometimes 'til at least 3:00 AM .
This is so ridiculous !
You know why Democrats are successful in electing people to University boards? well because when we ( Republicans) campaign it is always about "i'm going there to cut, cut and cut ". No-one talks that much about the quality of education and the interests of professors.
How can someone claim to care about students but in the meantime does not give a F**k about those who give this education? It is like somebody caring only about passengers in the commercial airplane business but not caring about the pilots. This ends sometimes with those deadly plane crashes. And yes, our educational system is crashing.
I know democrats have some bad solutions but republicans are not doing any better.
Those folks in Oklahoma don't want people to learn foreign languages? OK, let's do it and let terrorists use foreign languages to communicate while we are enjoying English. We know what happened on 9/11.
The perpetrators did not communicate that much in English but they reached their goals.

Last edited by ThePage; 02-19-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 12:39 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is incredible, but by a vote of 11-4 a legislative committee in the Oklahoma legislature has voted not to fund AP courses in high schools because they believe the curriculum is "unpatriotic".'

I wonder what they teach in that course?

1. That there was once slavery in the US?

2. That we pushed Indians off their lands and onto reservations?

3. That Prohibition of alcohol was a dismal failure?

Sounds downright subversive to me

Undoubtedly, the same group that wants to teach "creation science" as part of the curriculum.

Oklahoma Legislators Move To Push AP U.S. History Courses Out Of Schools
So you dont see the irony in calling out a group of people on their beliefs in condescending attempt to appear higher up on the educational ladder, whilst using a racial slur in your headline? Yesssss....so liberal you are......

Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
So you dont see the irony in calling out a group of people on their beliefs in condescending attempt to appear higher up on the educational ladder, whilst using a racial slur in your headline? Yesssss....so liberal you are......
You just have to love a reply which attacks the OP and doesn't address the issue at all.

I do shake my head at those who want to turn everything into a "liberal" or "conservative" issue. The issue here is the stupidity of a bunch of people in the state legislature. Stupidity knows no political boundaries.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:07 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
This is incredible, but by a vote of 11-4 a legislative committee in the Oklahoma legislature has voted not to fund AP courses in high schools because they believe the curriculum is "unpatriotic".'

Oklahoma Legislators Move To Push AP U.S. History Courses Out Of Schools
How typical.

You read a story in the HuffPuff and act as if that is all there is to the story.

After you have read the AP US History course description, get back to me. I found it appalling and nothing like the AP US History course I took. The bias drips from the pages.

It is exactly why all education should be local.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:10 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
Quote:
You just have to love a reply which attacks the OP and doesn't address the issue at all.

I do shake my head at those who want to turn everything into a "liberal" or "conservative" issue. The issue here is the stupidity of a bunch of people in the state legislature. Stupidity knows no political boundaries.
Why would I address the issue. My issue was scanning the topics on the forums and seeing the liberal use of the slur redneck being used yet again by someone who is attempting to appear better than someone else. Thus is my issue.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:12 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
How can someone ask to get rid of the department of education? and ask for a state university not to enroll students from other states?
constantly hate teachers and unions, finding it normal a teacher gets less than $30 K /year without realizing that teachers work double time at home and in school preparing lessons or grading papers sometimes 'til at least 3:00 AM .
This is so ridiculous !
You know why Democrats are successful in electing people to University boards? well because when we ( Republicans) campaign it is always about "i'm going there to cut, cut and cut ". No-one talks that much about the quality of education and the interests of professors.
How can someone claim to care about students but in the meantime does not give a F**k about those who give this education? It is like somebody caring only about passengers in the commercial airplane business but not caring about the pilots. This ends sometimes with those deadly plane crashes. And yes, our educational system is crashing.
I know democrats have some bad solutions but republicans are not doing any better.
Those folks in Oklahoma don't want people to learn foreign languages? OK, let's do it and let terrorists use foreign languages to communicate while we are enjoying English. We know what happened on 9/11.
The perpetrators did not communicate that much in English but they reached their goals.
Whatever you say, Page, old sport.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:06 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
Quote:
Why would I address the issue.
Because staying on topic is a good way to have a *productive* discussion or even argument. Otherwise you're just adding to the background noise.

Quote:
My issue was scanning the topics on the forums and seeing the liberal use of the slur redneck being used yet again by someone who is attempting to appear better than someone else. Thus is my issue.
Do you mean liberal as in 'free' or liberal as in political orientation? I live in Georgia and I heard that term all the time from all sorts of people in every walk of life. Heck, one of our most famous residents made millions and millions of dollars using that word on stage repeatedly. Do you also take issue with Jeff Foxworthy's comedy, or is your indignance reserved exclusively for your political adversaries?

You might find this wikipedia entry eerily familiar... ad hominem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-19-2015, 02:44 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Does it occur to you that regardless of what the curriculum actually is that it is not the state legislature who should make these decisions? That's why we have a state school board and a curriculum development committee for public education.

Such decisions ought to be made by educators or at least by those not standing for election and pandering for votes every few years.

The action itself is despicable here. However, the larger concern is that a state legislature has no business micromanaging development of a curriculum in the school system. If as a policy matter, they want to mandate a class in "Civics" or in "Personal Financial Skills" they can do that. However, the actual content of the course belongs in the hands of those not motivated by politics.
The various state Boards of Education are empowered/authorized by the legislature. so there is that measure of oversight.

AP courses typically don't have what you'd recognize as a curriculum. Instead, College Board disseminates a suggested framework with pacing guidelines. The teacher has to submit a syllabus to College Board for approval (one of their samples will suffice).

AP Course Audit - Home Page

That framework points the teacher in the direction of what are the concepts and information subject to be included on the test. The rub comes in that the courses are so damned detailed, and as I mentioned earlier, cover in one year material that is covered in 3 to 5 semester courses in college.

To give one example of the issues surrounding the USH rewrite was the scope of the WW II unit. Roughly 40% of the recommended class time was devoted to the Japanese internment camps in the US. That got changed after many teachers (the ones who actually teach the class) objected to the time spent. Not the material.

I don't know what's in the final version. I've devolved my AP coordinator duties to another staff member over the last couple years and went on terminal sick leave in late October so have no reason now to look at it. Or really even care about it.

In any event, my school system changed the order of courses several years ago which made AP USH a hard sell. They wanted incoming 9th graders to take it to fulfill graduation requirements. That has not worked out the way the administrators who made the change thought it would.

Oh crap, I just realized this isn't the thread where I mentioned the course scope.

Here it is:

//www.city-data.com/forum/38495800-post19.html

Old 02-19-2015, 02:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
They want everybody to worship the 2nd amendment, and carry guns all over the streets and hate the government
Why did they blame Timothy McVeigh the Oklahoma city bomber then?
LOL. Except they would not want any black people to take advantage of the 2nd amendment, ya know. It's only for white folks.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:20 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
Why would I address the issue. My issue was scanning the topics on the forums and seeing the liberal use of the slur redneck being used yet again by someone who is attempting to appear better than someone else. Thus is my issue.
Wow, I've never heard of "redneck" being a slur. What about "redskin"? FYI, there are a handful of schools in Oklahoma that refer to their sports teams as the "Redskins."

I'll agree with your argument, though, that it was an immature way to begin the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education