Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:22 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Then why did a black man with a toy gun in walmart get shot by the police after someone reported him as having a gun and pointing it at people when he didn't point it at anyone? Why did a 12 year old black boy with a toy gun get shot by the police?

Why do they hate the Black Panthers who use their 2nd amendment rights, but not the Ku klux clan folks who do?
The police responded to a 911 call as they're suppose to do. They acted based upon the information they received which was incorrect information. The second call involved a 911 operator who didn't pass on the information that the caller thought the gun might be a toy. All the officers knew was someone was pointing a guy at people in a park. That is what they responded to. The kid in question was a male about the size of an adult. The cop who drove up and fired first may have reacted wrongly, but it was in action to the limited information given.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:33 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
What is an AP course?????

Old 02-19-2015, 05:45 PM

185 posts, read 184,720 times
These are those parts of the country that feature people associated with the American Taliban. I'm not surprised. I say, if you want to make your kids as backwards as possible, sure, screw up their knowledge of historic events. Bad idea, much like ignoring obvious scientific evidence (science being that stuff that anyone can cause and effect replicate again and again). No no, totally ignoring natural science! Ahhh, not good! Great way to kill your local economy or grant the foreign smarties a lucrative opportunity there. They'll have to import all of their STEM people.

Having said that? Those history textbooks are quite edited to the hilt. They are written to deliver propaganda, I think. Sort of. Actually the textbooks are written to sell textbooks (its a BIG industry!!!). I mean, there's a hint of neutral truth in the books, but I never really researched it. All through school, I eventually started checking out all of the sources that textbook authors cited. I am just keeping all of this as an open question.

If you really want to learn history, you should be using various material from the time period one is studying, specifically, first account material. That way, the student can be scientific about history, rather than accepting it all like a grand story.

Last edited by PasDeDeux; 02-19-2015 at 06:00 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 05:57 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
What makes it even more embarrassing another redneck lawmakers is pushing a law where foreign language classes in public schools in Oklahoma would be illegal. He wants to totally outlaw them. This is the GOP's war on education.
Sources, please.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 PM

185 posts, read 184,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post

Advanced Placement.

Basically, its a college level course/exam for high school students. You can get college credit for AP course. This stuff is all organized by the College Board which is the same organization responsible for the SAT. Its a good way for a student to net a few college level courses while in high school.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:23 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeDeux View Post

Having said that? Those history textbooks are quite edited to the hilt. They are written to deliver propaganda, I think. Sort of. Actually the textbooks are written to sell textbooks (its a BIG industry!!!). I mean, there's a hint of neutral truth in the books, but I never really researched it. All through school, I eventually started checking out all of the sources that textbook authors cited. I am just keeping all of this as an open question.

If you really want to learn history, you should be using various material from the time period one is studying, specifically, first account material. That way, the student can be scientific about history, rather than accepting it all like a grand story.
Of course teachers are using documents from a variety of places, including heavy emphasis on primary sources. I doubt many AP US History teachers open a textbook on day one and work their way through the entire thing by the end of the year.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:40 PM

723 posts, read 805,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Advanced Placement course.
It is mostly about higher order thinking. students who like being challenged and getting college credits take those classes at high school level.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I find it no more strange than banding the mention of God in schools. Nothing different really. That thread might be sentenced as liberal retards want to stop anything but what they approve in schools; to get a response.
The mention of God is not banned in public schools nor is prayer by students. Teacher led prayer is banned and prayer cannot be done when the class is supposed to be learning math, reading, history, etc.

Did Atheist Madalyn Murray O’Hair Get School Prayer Banned?

Quote:
The entire process of removing official religious exercises from public schools started much earlier with the McCollum v. Board of Education case decided on March 8, 1948. At that time, the Supreme Court held that public schools in Champaign, Illinois, violated the separation of church and state by allowing religious groups to teach religious classes to students in the schools during the school day. The decision was defied around the country, and the eminent theologian Reinhold Niebuhr stated that this would lead to public education becoming completely secular.
Note that the strong Protestant influence in public education made it difficult for Catholics (which was why the Catholic schools were started) and for Jews who did not acknowledge Christ as a god at all. The rulings against public prayer and teacher led religion has enabled freedom of religion for all other groups, not just atheists and non-believers.

Also note that you can teach about religion in the public schools, you just cannot promote any single religion over the others.

http://www.tolerance.org/blog/you-ca...-public-school

Old 02-19-2015, 07:10 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What you see at "morally correct" and "sensible," more than a few people would probably see as morally incorrect and non-sensible. Who's right? And who is to determine who's right?
Who's to determine? Why, the Absolutely Politically Correct, of course. Not so much the overgrown (and bigoted!) teenyboppers who started this thread as the elite few who want to lead all of us around by the nose -- the creators of AP and other personalized, slanted versions of history. now seeking access to the legal monopoly on coercion embodied in the state, in order to force their view on successive generations.

Fascism is, indeed, alive and well in America, in the guise of "progressivism".

Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Who's to determine? Why, the Absolutely Politically Correct, of course. Not so much the overgrown (and bigoted!) teenyboppers who started this thread as the elite few who want to lead all of us around by the nose -- the creators of AP and other personalized, slanted versions of history. now seeking access to the legal monopoly on coercion embodied in the state, in order to force their view on successive generations.

Fascism is, indeed, alive and well in America, in the guise of "progressivism".
Laughable--what a ridiculous post, an absolute pile of crap. As though we would get an unbiased, untarnished view from someone who calls himself a "libertarian curmudgeon".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education