Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:59 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
It is worth noting that AP History is an upper level course typically only available to students who have excelled in regular history/social studies courses throughout thier schooling. Kids normally take it during junior year of high school.

That is to say that a student in AP history has already taken years of "regular" history and therefore already knows all the "facts"' people are concerned are missing from the curriculum.

The whole point is to learn history like a beginning history major would learn it in college, which involves delving deeper into how events of the past are interpreted and written about. That's all the course does. It picks a few rich subjects to "go deep" about. It encourages students to consider possible contexts and come up with an interpretation of what happened, then to write about it while supporting thier point of view.

If someone wants to do a pro-America, patriotic interpretation of whatever events the class is delving into they could. They would have to support thier argument like everyone else. All the guide did was have examples which some deemed too liberal and anti-American, so the College Board wrote up a more neutral sounding guide. Problem solved, except for those who are caught up in the commies-who-hate-America hype.
Excellent points. In the district in which I teach, only about 10-15% of the kids will ever take AP US History, and for those that do, it will be the third US History class that they take.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:00 AM

327 posts, read 568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlasphemer View Post
The use of the word "redneck" as a pejorative is racist.
agree with you here. Plus, I don’t think that there is anything wrong with local school boards and state legislators being concerned with the drift in history education toward eliminating the founding (white) fathers and emphasizing all the terrible things we have done in our history. A little balance is in order, IMHO. My kid spent more time on Rosa Parks, Sojourner Truth and Ceasar Cavez than on James Madison or FDR. Hardly any discussion of the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution....

Old 02-20-2015, 09:21 AM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is incredible, but by a vote of 11-4 a legislative committee in the Oklahoma legislature has voted not to fund AP courses in high schools because they believe the curriculum is "unpatriotic".'

I wonder what they teach in that course?

1. That there was once slavery in the US?

2. That we pushed Indians off their lands and onto reservations?

3. That Prohibition of alcohol was a dismal failure?

Sounds downright subversive to me

Undoubtedly, the same group that wants to teach "creation science" as part of the curriculum.

Oklahoma Legislators Move To Push AP U.S. History Courses Out Of Schools
Get some information, if you don't know. And you obviously don't know - you just said so.

"I wonder what they teach?"......and then you go on to make suppositions. But no facts.

"Undoubtedly part of....." - but you don't know that, do you?

"Rednecks"..............Feeling superior, are you?

Did you even bother to find out who the members of the Oklahoma House Common Education Committee are? Well, no you didn't. You found an article about a legislative body consisting of individuals who were elected by citizens in a state you don't live in, found that they had not bought into the current blizzard of nonsense coming from Washington and lashed out.

I wish the citizens of Oklahoma God Speed as they distance themselves farther and farther from the control freaks of the Democratic Party.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:24 AM

327 posts, read 568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Get some information, if you don't know. And you obviously don't know - you just said so.

"I wonder what they teach?"......and then you go on to make suppositions. But no facts.

Did you even bother to find out who the members of the Oklahoma House Common Education Committee are? Well, no you didn't. You found an article about a legislative body consisting of individuals who were elected by citizens in a state you don't live in, found that they had not bought into the current blizzard of nonsense coming from Washington and lashed out.

I wish the citizens of Oklahoma God Speed as they distance themselves farther and farther from the control freaks of the Democratic Party.

I was with you until that last sentence. I don’t think you need to go there to make a very good point about the way history is being taught in the public schools these days.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Good Lord, why would I need to do that? I can judge fools by their actions.

Good Lord, why would I need to do that? I can judge fools by their actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
I was with you until that last sentence. I don’t think you need to go there to make a very good point about the way history is being taught in the public schools these days.
My use of the term "redneck" parallels that of many of the people in those states. I've even seen bumper stickers that say "redneck and proud". When I'm convinced that certain types don't use the term themselves to sort of celebrate their "notions of life" than you'll be able to persuade me that I shouldn't use it either.

In any event, whether you think the use of the word "redneck" was a poor choice by me or not it doesn't change what happened.

Basically, we have a bunch of people in the state legislature who feel it is their place to set a school curriculum. I will always disagree with that. Its the place of professional educators associated with the state school board to do that. If the public truly does not like curriculum choices than it should vote school board members out of office (or the politicians that appoint them). No, I don't think that having a bunch of farmers, ranchers, business people, and even lawyers and doctors who sit in the state legislature should be making curriculum choices for the state. Its micromanaging and not their place to do so.

Frankly, I expect more out of the legislative body in any state.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:32 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This is another huge example of why curriculum needs to be set at the federal level. Why in the world would we find it a good idea to selectively teach students some subjects in one state while another has full access to all of them? The separation of church and state clause within the First Amendment should be protecting this....and we all know this is religiously driven.
Your state has one of the crappiest public education systems in the country.

Glass houses and all that....

Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My use of the term "redneck" parallels that of many of the people in those states. I've even seen bumper stickers that say "redneck and proud". When I'm convinced that certain types don't use the term themselves to sort of celebrate their "notions of life" than you'll be able to persuade me that I shouldn't use it either.
I really can't believe you just used the "well blacks call each other n-word so why can't I" defense.

Regardless, you haven't kept up with the story but let me not spoil the surprise for you guys yucking it up about republicans and whatnot.....

Tell me, when does this change go into effect?

Wait for it.....wait for it.....

Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Excellent points. In the district in which I teach, only about 10-15% of the kids will ever take AP US History, and for those that do, it will be the third US History class that they take.
APUSH as it's called at my kids school is regarded as one of the 2 or 3 toughest classes in the school and yes, is only taken by the top tier students.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:43 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times
It is such a huge disgrace to see how education in this country is/has been attacked.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
APUSH as it's called at my kids school is regarded as one of the 2 or 3 toughest classes in the school and yes, is only taken by the top tier students.

Then your school is putting up "unjustified and unwarranted barriers to participation. All students, regardless of traditional standards of educational attainment, should be offered the opportunity to participate in the unique Advanced Placement experience. Our studies show that, etc."

Yanking your chain a bit. College Board has sent versions of what I have in quotes out to coordinators and other testing functionaries over the last several years. My system was audited to discover if we were "erecting barriers".

Back to US History. The change from the "Great Man" US History has been occurring for the last 10 or 15 years and most intro/lower level courses already are away from it. In reality AP was one of the last holdouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.