Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
All part of the agenda to justify privatization of education where, as Mitt Romney said on the campaign trail, "I believe everyone is entitled to the best education they can afford."

LOL.... how did I miss THAT one??

Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is incredible, but by a vote of 11-4 a legislative committee in the Oklahoma legislature has voted not to fund AP courses in high schools because they believe the curriculum is "unpatriotic".'

I wonder what they teach in that course?

1. That there was once slavery in the US?

2. That we pushed Indians off their lands and onto reservations?

3. That Prohibition of alcohol was a dismal failure?

Sounds downright subversive to me

Undoubtedly, the same group that wants to teach "creation science" as part of the curriculum.

Oklahoma Legislators Move To Push AP U.S. History Courses Out Of Schools
The only thing scarier than a state not funding it, is that it passed 11-4.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:05 AM

723 posts, read 806,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Maybe one thing kids could study is the US Constitution, for example Amendment X.
They want everybody to worship the 2nd amendment, and carry guns all over the streets and hate the government
Why did they blame Timothy McVeigh the Oklahoma city bomber then?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
What makes it even more embarrassing another redneck lawmakers is pushing a law where foreign language classes in public schools in Oklahoma would be illegal. He wants to totally outlaw them. This is the GOP's war on education.
Although I don't agree with this policy, I must point out that okie called these lawmakers rednecks and also assumed that the GOP is the party at war with education. I find it unbelievable how many times people generalize and make all surts of negative assumptions about political parties and people who live in the South. Ironically, okie is even in Oklahoma his/herself

Old 02-19-2015, 10:15 AM

160 posts, read 241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This is another huge example of why curriculum needs to be set at the federal level. Why in the world would we find it a good idea to selectively teach students some subjects in one state while another has full access to all of them? The separation of church and state clause within the First Amendment should be protecting this....and we all know this is religiously driven.
Then the war on education would just move to the federal level, I'm afraid. Republicans at the national level many times have proven themselves capable of and interested in interfering with morally correct and sensible issues.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:40 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There has been a lot of controversy about the APUSH curriculum because it is now going to be doing fewer topics but going into more depth on the ones it does cover. Conservatives say it is heavy on the darker parts of US history, but it's not supposed to be a full curriculum really. The framework does not exclude major historical figures as much as it fails to explicitly include them.

College Board says it ‘revised’ controversial AP U.S. history framework (update) - The Washington Post

https://advancesinap.collegeboard.or...nce/us-history

Here is one teacher's critique of the new curriculum:

Confessions Of An AP Teacher: New AP U.S. History Is Terrible

The history portion is one of the main reasons its being questioned. The complaint is it isn't balanced. In the section on the 60's, it deals with the Black Panthers, apparenty, but there is no mention of Martin Luther King. If this is true then it is indeed unbalanced. The reality of any time is a combination of the inspirational and the anger.

When I was in high school the history class which would corrilate today had a truely amazing teacher. We had debates over each chaper/era. But you get assigned a role of a real person and must argue with the arguements which someone of that time, and as you 'represent' a specific person what they believed. It forced you out of the box and see the complexity of how history happens. Of course he'd be barred from that today. Imagine having students debate the institution of slavery, including supporting it, and how that just wouldn't play today.

If I was a parent, I'd have trouble with teaching history with a chosen message. If the history portion is being widely questioned then its more than a couple of concervative Oklahomans who disapprove, and a good sign it needs to be redone.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
They want everybody to worship the 2nd amendment, and carry guns all over the streets and hate the government
Why did they blame Timothy McVeigh the Oklahoma city bomber then?
What are you trying to say? Who are they?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:19 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpoint1 View Post
Then the war on education would just move to the federal level, I'm afraid. Republicans at the national level many times have proven themselves capable of and interested in interfering with morally correct and sensible issues.
What you see at "morally correct" and "sensible," more than a few people would probably see as morally incorrect and non-sensible. Who's right? And who is to determine who's right?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Wow, so much bigotry from supposedly educated open minded individuals. One person posted a link from an AP history teacher that detailed the problems with the course and none of you bigots have bothered to address the points the teacher laid out. If what the teacher laid out is correct, this course is just another version of "hate whitey" and "hate USA" courses. There should be a balanced approach to US History. The wrongs of the past should be held in the light of the morals and beliefs of people of the time in which they occurred. This isn't to say that such events were right for the time they occurred, it's an explanation of their reasons for the actions they took which involves more than merely racism. It's so sad that so many "educated" individuals show such hatred towards an entire region of the nation. I'm just surprised the term "fly-over country" hasn't been brought out among the many other bigoted terms used by the people here.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:47 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Wow, so much bigotry from supposedly educated open minded individuals. One person posted a link from an AP history teacher that detailed the problems with the course and none of you bigots have bothered to address the points the teacher laid out. If what the teacher laid out is correct, this course is just another version of "hate whitey" and "hate USA" courses. There should be a balanced approach to US History. The wrongs of the past should be held in the light of the morals and beliefs of people of the time in which they occurred. This isn't to say that such events were right for the time they occurred, it's an explanation of their reasons for the actions they took which involves more than merely racism. It's so sad that so many "educated" individuals show such hatred towards an entire region of the nation. I'm just surprised the term "fly-over country" hasn't been brought out among the many other bigoted terms used by the people here.
Does it occur to you that regardless of what the curriculum actually is that it is not the state legislature who should make these decisions? That's why we have a state school board and a curriculum development committee for public education.

Such decisions ought to be made by educators or at least by those not standing for election and pandering for votes every few years.

The action itself is despicable here. However, the larger concern is that a state legislature has no business micromanaging development of a curriculum in the school system. If as a policy matter, they want to mandate a class in "Civics" or in "Personal Financial Skills" they can do that. However, the actual content of the course belongs in the hands of those not motivated by politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education