Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 04:37 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,431 times

Advertisements

I propose an elective course in bible teaching using the NIV or
NKJV., with breakout workshops for extra credit in lieu of study hall . No priests, pastors,nuns, theology majors or religious fig-
ures, but rather volunteer bible study savy young adults. At mid-
term a rapid fire contest ( similar to cash cab question format).
Any rebutle from atheists tell them to go to hell! kidding! invite them to sit in or be allowed to give their opinion in an open forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 04:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I'm ok with a comparative religion course, and only that. If the Bible is included, then so must be the Koran, the Talmud, etc.
Otherwise, no way.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
I don't believe in a Bible class of any sort (even though I'm a very conservative Christian) in public schools. NIV or NKJV? What about those who think that those are terrible translations and only the 1611 KJV is accurate? Are we also going to study the religious texts of other religions?

Old 02-20-2015, 06:34 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times
Most European countries and Canada study world religions as part of their curriculum. It's part of history.

My son attends an independent private school that is non religious and studies all religions, I think it's great, we shouldn't be ignorant of world faiths.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:40 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Most European countries and Canada study world religions as part of their curriculum. It's part of history.

My son attends an independent private school that is non religious and studies all religions, I think it's great, we shouldn't be ignorant of world faiths.
Provide ALL or many other religions are included in the curriculum and the class is taught by a person with a COMPARATIVE RELIGION degree, not a person associated with any specific religion.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Given the influence religion has played in many aspects of history and will continue to play in future world affairs, I absolutely wish comparative/world religions classes were more prominent in public schools. I am deadest against public schools promoting any one specific religion, however. That is not acceptable.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:29 PM

37,142 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I think it's a great option for people who can make up their own minds about things, but not kids still being forced into their families faith. That's too confusing for them AND takes time away from other things that are more important. Basically, high school and college elective courses, which I believe we already have.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:01 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post

It's part of our 5th grade curriculum "World History and Geography to 1500". I copied and pasted some of the standards from the VDOE website.

In part:

c) explaining the development of religious traditions;
d) describing the origins, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Judaism;

c) describing the origins, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Hinduism;
d) describing the origins, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Buddhism;
f) describing the impact of Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism.
b) describing Greek mythology and religion;

b) describing Roman mythology and religion;

h) describing the origin, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Christianity;
i) explaining the development and significance of the Church in the late Roman Empire;

d) explaining disputes that led to the split between the Roman Catholic Church and the Greek Orthodox Church;

c) describing Japan, with emphasis on the impact of Shinto and Buddhist traditions and the influence of Chinese culture;

Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,431 times
Thank you great posters for your take backs and insight as I
find it extremely well thought out and informative. Since the feedback was so involved I need to wrap my brain around comments to respond ( can you just feel the anticipation lol).
At nearly 70 its difficult to mix philosophy, political correctness,
law , religious freedom, separation of church and state. I' m suggesting a course the can perhaps be contrued as even an adjunct to history class key players in biblical history?.
If that fails to score points maybe the histories of religions . My pal ol'Jesus wasn't a big fan of religion, but His path could be gleaned to some degree from christianty? Anyway you all are smart!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:51 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It's part of our 5th grade curriculum "World History and Geography to 1500". I copied and pasted some of the standards from the VDOE website.

In part:

c) explaining the development of religious traditions;
d) describing the origins, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Judaism;

c) describing the origins, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Hinduism;
d) describing the origins, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Buddhism;
f) describing the impact of Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism.
b) describing Greek mythology and religion;

b) describing Roman mythology and religion;

h) describing the origin, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Christianity;
i) explaining the development and significance of the Church in the late Roman Empire;

d) explaining disputes that led to the split between the Roman Catholic Church and the Greek Orthodox Church;

c) describing Japan, with emphasis on the impact of Shinto and Buddhist traditions and the influence of Chinese culture;
I have to edit my previous post. While many of these standards are part of the 5th grade curriculum in my district, it's not exactly the same as the state standards. Some of what I copied earlier is from a later course that builds upon what they have in. 5th. Here is the 5 th grade Program of Studies for my district. SS.G5 FCPS Program of Studies It includes, for example:

Benchmark 3.d
Describe the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Judaism
Indicator 3.d.1
Describe the origin and basic beliefs of Judaism

Benchmark 4.b
Describe the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Hinduism
Indicator 4.b.1
Describe the origin and basic beliefs of Hinduism

Benchmark 4.c
Describe the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Buddhism
Indicator 4.c.1
Describe the origin and basic beliefs of Buddhism

Benchmark 4.d
Describe the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Sikhism
Indicator 4.d.1
Describe the origin and basic beliefs of Sikhism

Benchmark 5.b
Analyze the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Confucianism
Indicator 5.b.1
Analyze the origin and basic beliefs of Confucianism

Benchmark 8.d
Describe the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Christianity
Indicator 8.d.1
Describe the origin and basic beliefs of Christianity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education