Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:35 AM

86 posts, read 122,764 times

Advertisements

I was just reflecting on my college years and something crossed my mind. I was a liberal arts major in college so I had courses across many subject areas. What I realized is that some courses were subjects that were not offered at my high school. Some of the courses in particular, Anthropology, Philosophy, Linguistics, and Art History. So I was wondering why is it that colleges require these courses in a degree program while they are nonexistent in a high school curriculum. Any thoughts on this would be apprciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 04:45 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,407,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
I was just reflecting on my college years and something crossed my mind. I was a liberal arts major in college so I had courses across many subject areas. What I realized is that some courses were subjects that were not offered at my high school. Some of the courses in particular, Anthropology, Philosophy, Linguistics, and Art History. So I was wondering why is it that colleges require these courses in a degree program while they are nonexistent in a high school curriculum. Any thoughts on this would be apprciated.
College isn't meant to duplicate high school. Why do you expect them to be the same?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:52 AM

44,934 posts, read 59,929,483 times
Uhhhh, because college isn't high school.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:14 AM

483 posts, read 666,791 times
Quote:
I don't know any colleges that require these courses. I know they offer these courses as a choice for certain requirements...same as high schools

Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,979,989 times
Quote:
Because high school teachers aren't qualified to teach them. There is a reason you need a PhD to teach in college, and only a Bachelor's for high school. If you start offering everything in college in high school, then it already isn't the same thing.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:48 AM

102,062 posts, read 106,967,400 times
What does HS have to do with it? College is supposed to offer you learning experiences you can't get in HS, that's what it's for.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:51 PM

10,274 posts, read 10,512,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
I don't know any colleges that require these courses. I know they offer these courses as a choice for certain requirements...same as high schools
Anthropology was required for my major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Because high school teachers aren't qualified to teach them. There is a reason you need a PhD to teach in college, and only a Bachelor's for high school. If you start offering everything in college in high school, then it already isn't the same thing.
I agree that high school teachers aren't qualified to teach them, but that is only partly the reason they are not offered. High schools have the same requirements that they had 80 or 90 years ago, which are English, math, science, social studies, foreign language, physical education, music and art. The classes mentioned would be offered as electives like psychology, economics and sociology. Very few teachers are qualified to teach these three courses. Most have no more than two classes in any of these three subjects.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:11 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,248,764 times
I'd argue also that, within the "core four" subjects, there is a varying depth of coverage on many of the topics/subjects that in college have their own departments. It's just that in college, these courses become more specific and in-depth.

For example, I remember my high school English classes had broad coverage of topics that I would say really included linguistics, philosophy, American literature, British literature, etc., all under the umbrella of "English-Language Arts."

Old 02-23-2015, 04:17 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,652,641 times
I'd assume that it's because high school tries to cram you with whatever is most necessary, in case you go no further with school. So an English course will be more crucial to you than anthropology.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:45 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,060,377 times
Why do we have college when most of the first two years of college can be taught at the high school level?

MONEY, that is the primary reason some subjects are not taught at the high school level--so colleges can get an additional two years of tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education