Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,538 times

Advertisements

Hello was wondering if anyone had any experience with he 504 plan. My daughter was put on an IEP when she was in Middle school, now a senior, last year she was diagnosed with severe crohns and the DR and Social worker at the DR's office said they can request the school put her on the 504 plan, well I guess the IEP is also considered a 504 plan,so they made special requests for her during school which was fine and she was in remission for a while, well sometime in November she started a flare up of her crohns,and had missed some school days, now the 504 plan is in place, I've sent in notes on the day she was absent for them to be excuse since it was either a flare up or side effect of the meds,well fast forward to now once again a few days of stomach pains and I keep her home, now they want a dr note for every day she is absent even with the 504 plan.. does that seem legal? I cant take her to the dr every time she gets a bout of diarrhea and stomach pains. Just wondering if that is right.. I've requested a note from the Dr but no response yet. And we do have an apt with the Dr. next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,333 times
If she's sick, she's sick and the school should excuse the absence and let her make up the work. If this is the attendance office giving you a hard time, ask to speak with a guidance counselor or even one of the principals. Most of these people are understanding, you just need to talk to someone with the right "pull." And yes, tell them that you will be seeing the doctor next week and that the doctor will write a note explaining the symptoms and severity of the disease.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Hello was wondering if anyone had any experience with he 504 plan. My daughter was put on an IEP when she was in Middle school, now a senior, last year she was diagnosed with severe crohns and the DR and Social worker at the DR's office said they can request the school put her on the 504 plan, well I guess the IEP is also considered a 504 plan,so they made special requests for her during school which was fine and she was in remission for a while, well sometime in November she started a flare up of her crohns,and had missed some school days, now the 504 plan is in place, I've sent in notes on the day she was absent for them to be excuse since it was either a flare up or side effect of the meds,well fast forward to now once again a few days of stomach pains and I keep her home, now they want a dr note for every day she is absent even with the 504 plan.. does that seem legal? I cant take her to the dr every time she gets a bout of diarrhea and stomach pains. Just wondering if that is right.. I've requested a note from the Dr but no response yet. And we do have an apt with the Dr. next week.
One of the purposes of a 504 plan, which is different than an IEP, is for situations like your daughter's. The doctor needs to include in a written format essentially the following: Susie Student has Crohn's Disease, which is a chronic, at times debilitating, disease that requires the following accommodations: blah...., blah...... , blah. Additionally, there will be times when physically attending class will not be advisable because of physical limitations and difficulties that are inherent to the disease but it is neither necessary nor practical to see a doctor. It is my recommendation that the parent be allowed to write a note excusing Susie Student for absences up to (3 or 5 days, depending on the doctor) without a doctor's note.

In most cases they will not write a fully blanket check excuse because if the illness extends beyond a certain number of days the child needs to be seen, but it will stop you from running to the doctor for 1-2 day absences. This should be something her gastroenterologist is familiar with. Expect your doctor to have a discussion with you about trying to make her life as normal as possible.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:13 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
One of the purposes of a 504 plan, which is different than an IEP, is for situations like your daughter's. The doctor needs to include in a written format essentially the following: Susie Student has Crohn's Disease, which is a chronic, at times debilitating, disease that requires the following accommodations: blah...., blah...... , blah. Additionally, there will be times when physically attending class will not be advisable because of physical limitations and difficulties that are inherent to the disease but it is neither necessary nor practical to see a doctor. It is my recommendation that the parent be allowed to write a note excusing Susie Student for absences up to (3 or 5 days, depending on the doctor) without a doctor's note.

In most cases they will not write a fully blanket check excuse because if the illness extends beyond a certain number of days the child needs to be seen, but it will stop you from running to the doctor for 1-2 day absences. This should be something her gastroenterologist is familiar with. Expect your doctor to have a discussion with you about trying to make her life as normal as possible.
Yes the note is specific to the disease. I will reach out to them.. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education