Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:41 PM

48 posts, read 149,062 times

Advertisements

Before the reset I passed everything except the Math, they erased everything and I hear it's a lot harder now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,711 times
I used to teach GED, and I heard that they were going to add Trigonometry.

I think that's stupid!

No one needs trig for life, some people need it for work, those people can take it.

congrats on passing all except Math. My students generally found the Math part the highest, and I really hate, that they are going to make it harder.

If it makes you feel any better:
I always told my students:
Give the GED Math to a sample of high school graduates and I bet that 50% would fail it.

good luck to you.

ps.. feel free to send me a pm if I can answer any question for you.

PS _ You may be able to find a book with samples of the new test at your library- don't know if they are out yet.
You can find sample tests online too.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Evolution In Teaching Math Since The 1950s

Old 03-06-2014, 08:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Can you take GED prep classes?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 AM

I'm taking the Reasoning Through Language Arts test on Monday. My goal is to get back to where I was before they screwed me, then worry about the Math. I'm certain that I can pass the grammar portion, but I'm not certain if I can pass this new "Evidence Based Writing" portion that replaced the simple essay. I could only find one sample on the internet, and the example answer was complex. I'll tell you guys the results after I take it.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Can you take GED prep classes?
I will not; I have severe social phobia, and I would have panic attacks.

Last edited by Balloon67; 03-07-2014 at 06:21 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Have you seen this site? It says its free. Free Practice Test Public libraries often have a subscription for practice standardized tests. I know one of the larger ones in my area has GED practice tests on-line, but you have to have a library card with them to access it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Have you seen this site? It says its free. Free Practice Test Public libraries often have a subscription for practice standardized tests. I know one of the larger ones in my area has GED practice tests on-line, but you have to have a library card with them to access it.
Yes, I've taken all of those, and I passed everything except for the Math. They can't score my answer to the "Evidence Based Writing" portion of the language arts test, so I'm not sure how well I did on that. The sample they give there is actually the one I was referring to.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Woot, I passed the test with honors. Though this was the easy part for me.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,627 times
Balloon67 I have not yet taken my GED and your post is inspiring to me. I warmly congratulate you on passing that test.

I have a favor to ask. I would like to ask if it isn't too much trouble for the benefit of me and other test takers if you could explain how you went about studying each of the subject areas of this test. What resources/websites you used, the whole thing. My thinking is if I can apply what you did to my own study routine, my chances of passing this test will increase to full certainty. I have hours each day to study right now.

My material that I have that i'm using to build a study routine right now is
Cracking the GED 2013
Mcgraw Hills GED- Language arts writing
Mcgraw Hills GED- Mathematics
Mcgraw Hills GED- Short course
GED.com "Most of the study material on these websites need to be purchased and i'm short on money outside of just paying for the GED test and a practice test. No job atm"
GEDtestingService.com

Because most of my material is 2013, i'm not sure I have adequate material to study the science and social studies. I'm not sure what to do here with those two subjects.

I will check this thread frequently even if a response takes awhile to be posted so don't worry about the possibility of me missing out on a response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education