Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 06:53 PM

723 posts, read 803,854 times

Advertisements

Meet the 10-year-old maths genius who's just enrolled at college - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
I think it's great and she is doing this online, so she won't have to be on a college campus away from her parents.

She is writing math books for kids as well.

Bustle

Quote:
Esther is also writing a series of math workbooks for kids called Yummy Yummy Algebra. Esther explained the series to CNN:

It starts at a beginner level — that’s volume one. But then there will be volume two, and volume three, and then volume four. But I’ve only written the first one.

As long as you can add or subtract, you’ll be able to do it. I want to show other children they are special.
This young man is 13 and autistic and a math prodigy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR36...yer_detailpage

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-13-2015 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: corrected link

Old 03-12-2015, 01:53 AM

'Thought "Black can't do math" as we hear most of the time.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:21 AM

13,253 posts, read 33,437,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
I've never heard that^. What does it mean? Does it have anything to do with this thread?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
Quote:
Benjamin Banneker successfully forecast a 1789 solar eclipse and caused quite a stir because his correct prediction contradicted those of better-known mathematicians and astronomers. David Harold Blackwell is partly responsible for the Rao-Blackwell Theorem and was the first black mathematician to be inducted into the National Academy of Sciences. Elbert Frank Cox could explain mathematical concepts with ease and was the first black Phd in mathematics.

There are plenty of current mathematicians and scientists as well.

Also many black mathematicians had to overcome a great deal of prejudice to be recognized.

Black mathematicians: the kind of problems they wish didn't need solving | Jonathan Farley | World news | The Guardian

Old 03-12-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I've never heard that^. What does it mean? Does it have anything to do with this thread?
So you never heard people or saw anyone showing data on high performing schools having less or no minority students? With all this long old ongoing debate about school failure in many of our cities featuring "minorities" scoring low on ACT math and science?
You never heard of the " racial achievement gap " rhetoric that floods newspapers in this nation, and never read any article insinuating Black kids can't do math and are performing disastrously on state tests in math and science in the U.S. ? Oh well. Do some Google please, I'm kind of tired of reading this type of literature anymore because the finding and comments are intellectually so low.
This does not sound familiar to you maybe because you are not living in America.

Last edited by ThePage; 03-12-2015 at 06:09 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 06:47 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,688,679 times
Quote:
So you never heard people or saw anyone showing data on high performing schools having less or no minority students? With all this long old ongoing debate about school failure in many of our cities featuring "minorities" scoring low on ACT math and science?
You never heard of the " racial achievement gap " rhetoric that floods newspapers in this nation, and never read any article insinuating Black kids can't do math and are performing disastrously on state tests in math and science in the U.S. ? Oh well. Do some Google please, I'm kind of tired of reading this type of literature anymore because the finding and comments are intellectually so low.
This does not sound familiar to you maybe because you are not living in America.
Race baiting is intellectually low too. And this isn't the right forum for it.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:59 AM

13,253 posts, read 33,437,211 times
Quote:
Of course I've heard about the achievement gap, but I am not familiar with the phrase, "black can't do math" and didn't know what it had to do with this thread.

Let's stay on topic please. Posts that are off topic will be deleted and infractions may be issued.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education